Trump to announce new guidlines on face masks today - Page 3

Trump to announce new guidlines on face masks today

This is a discussion on Trump to announce new guidlines on face masks today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NECCdude Maybe more people will die from an exploding liver than from COVID-19........ Actually, the chance of that may be greater than ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Trump to announce new guidlines on face masks today

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    Maybe more people will die from an exploding liver than from COVID-19........
    Actually, the chance of that may be greater than you think.
    https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Some new stuff out on the masks lately. Before, they were believed to be good because they kept you from infecting others. They were also good because it helps keep the wearer from touching their face. The new stuff I have been reading lately is about viral load. The masks will not keep you from breathing in the virus but they will reduce the viral load that is inhaled. Studies are now showing that those dying(assuming no preexisting conditions) were those that received higher viral load doses. The masks can help you to ingest a minimal amount compared to a lot.

The thing about using a bandana my help to keep it from spreading but it likely will not help the wearer to not ingest the virus. Th problem being cotton is so absorbent and will get wet and stay wet when you breathe and the virus will just stick to it, right where your mouth is.

Popular Science magazine has a DIY for masks using non woven polypropolyne. The stuff that many of the reusable shopping bags are made from.

But yeah, most of these people you see are doing everything wrong and thinking they are protecting themselves. Especially with the gloves. Gloves are not magic. I doubt they are changing them like they should be. My favorite was the lady in line at the grocery store. She used her HAND to cover her mouth the whole time. The idiot even checked out with one hand so she could continue keeping the other hand over her mouth and nose. You can't hold water in your hands but someone a virus cannot slip through your fingers? Plus touching your face is the number one way to contract this. She really threw Darwin a slow pitch! Probably a good thing to let Darwin do some housekeeping here.
    These masks, including the N95 models, aren't intended to keep the wearer from being infected. The idea is to prevent symptomatic and asymptomatic people from infecting others when they sneeze or cough. Nice idea but everyone needs to do it in order to effectively cut down on transmission. Good luck in enforcing that.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Mrs OldChap would remind us that such face coverings only prevent the intake / outflow of large droplets, not smaller particles - which can also infect. You must go to an N95 (or higher rated) close-fitting mask to be completely protected / isolated. Those N95 masks should be reserved for healthcare workers.

Now if we had only been wise like some preppers and bought full up NBC kits! Of course wearing one for any length of time is a trying experience for the soul.
    I'd like to have a hazmat suit but that'll probably freak out the shoppers........
    OldChap likes this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

The County Executive here made the recommendation yesterday for all people out in public.
    I had already planned to bandana it, as I don't have any particle masks and I don't want to go full on with my bead blasting respirator.

I don't need to go to a store for a while anyway. I can bake my own bread and I have powdered milk, which isn't bad at all.
    I was going to stuff one in my pocket when I go fishing in case someone gets closer than I want, or are upwind.
    OD* and OldChap like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Popular Science magazine's article on not using cotton, but the non -woven poly and an easy DIY
    https://www.popsci.com/story/diy/make-diy-face-masks/
    Cotton is more comfy though. Of course the virus is not. I wonder when they're going to have those invisible masks that I saw on the TV series "Eureka".?
    OD* likes this.

Red bandana. Blue bandana. Which one won't get me shot?
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Well an squishy stuff Sherlock. The recommendation to not wear masks was always about giving time for medical centers to stockpile.

Reserving N95 masks for healthcare workers? No, absolutely not. I witnessed staff wearing ppe in stores this week. So too did my wife. Staff are stealing these supplies. Whether for personal use or for their family members no special treatment.

I planned ahead and purchased N95 masks way back in December when I witnessed first hand blogger video smuggled out of China.

Surgical masks are not available now. Can’t get them anywhere.
    So, is the government demanding that private citizens, who prepared for events like this, turn in whatever N95 masks they have even if it's only 6 of them? Will someone go to jail over this?
    Last edited by NECCdude; April 3rd, 2020 at 07:21 PM.
    OD* and KILTED COWBOY like this.

OMG. Is it really this difficult. This is a classic example of why the Government sucks at getting stuff done (any administration).

Trump announces new face mask recommendations after heated internal debate

Wear a dang mask if you go out! or Not!

A week of "heated deliberations"! I would imagine that the national pandemic readiness plan (which I assumed there was one ) already had this addressed. You would think that no one ever anticipated or prepared for a pandemic.

It is almost like there was no checklist or anything.

Trump said the recommendations, which came after a week of heated deliberations inside the White House, were voluntary and that he would not partake.
    "I don't think I'm going to be doing it," he said.
    After weeks of insisting Americans should not wear face masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus -- and even suggesting their use could increase the chance of infection -- administration officials this week engaged in an internal debate over reversing course, according to people familiar with the matter.
    Behind the scenes, officials were divided about the wisdom of advising Americans to cover their faces in public, which some fear could cause a lapse in the social distancing efforts that remain officials' best hope of preventing further spread.

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Red bandana. Blue bandana. Which one won't get me shot?
    The pink one.

I am seriously considering digging into my son's chemical warfare gear in the garage and donning it for my afternoon walk around the neighborhood. I'd probably die of heat exhaustion, but it would be worth it to scare the crap out of everyone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    These masks, including the N95 models, aren't intended to keep the wearer from being infected. The idea is to prevent symptomatic and asymptomatic people from infecting others when they sneeze or cough. Nice idea but everyone needs to do it in order to effectively cut down on transmission. Good luck in enforcing that.
    Yes, they are not made to keep people from getting infected and are used to keep others from being infected. I agree obviously. That is how they have been and are being used.

What I was referring to are the new studies concerning viral load reduction with the masks, for the person wearing it. This is pretty neat stuff. While the mask will not prevent airborne transmission into the mouth or nasal passageways, it looks like it does reduce the viral load ingested. They have been finding that people dying from Covid-19, that were otherwise healthy, were subjected to high viral loads. Healthy people subjected to low viral load doses often ended up with the mild cases of corona.
    Quite a few articles in the past few days. Some what they are saying is it can help you be less sick. I'll take less.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-...24elPiezbxaJnk
    WrongRecroom, PAcanis and OldChap like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Mrs OldChap would remind us that such face coverings only prevent the intake / outflow of large droplets, not smaller particles - which can also infect. You must go to an N95 (or higher rated) close-fitting mask to be completely protected / isolated. Those N95 masks should be reserved for healthcare workers.

Now if we had only been wise like some preppers and bought full up NBC kits! Of course wearing one for any length of time is a trying experience for the soul.
    Gas mask and filters also have been run out ... Very good idea but finding filters still in code and that will be sold to civies is very hard ..I have found few places that will sell non LEO/GOV gas mask gear .. Most that do stock it are old past safe date for disaple only

The one I have found get there from the EU and former sovit block ..Which means now well back orders for weeks or more
    OldChap likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The pink one.

I am seriously considering digging into my son's chemical warfare gear in the garage and donning it for my afternoon walk around the neighborhood. I'd probably die of heat exhaustion, but it would be worth it to scare the crap out of everyone.
    Just need the mask ( and make dang sure it is one of the safe ones the old sovit ones have abestoso in them and some older US one have hexavlent chormium in them fun ) .... Frankly gas mask are the way to go I think issue is decaming them ....

The new models are not that unplenty to wear less compare to early era ones ..Larger eye holes etc ..Still hot though .. And best to use two filters to breath easier .

Most Hazmat suits will suck to wear long term for sure ..Ruber and other non breathing material
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Remends me of 1918 to be frank ..I have seen some of the old time manuals on how to make a mask like 1918 they were about this ..Did not do much for docters but prob did cut down some of people caughing it on others

I remember a long time ago, if you saw somebody with a medical mask on in the grocery store it meant he had the flu or some illness that they didn't want to pass on.
    (4 weeks ago.)
    As far as I am concerned everyone around me can wear a mask. Keep your stuff to yourself.

Does a Lone Ranger mask work? Asking for a friend.
    NECCdude and OD* like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links