Suspected Origins of SARS CoV-2 or COVID-19 - Page 4

Suspected Origins of SARS CoV-2 or COVID-19

This is a discussion on Suspected Origins of SARS CoV-2 or COVID-19 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by jmf552 I know you want to get back on topic, but I have a humorous anecdote about that, which will at least ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Suspected Origins of SARS CoV-2 or COVID-19

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I know you want to get back on topic, but I have a humorous anecdote about that, which will at least lighten the mood. My great, great, etc. grandfather had the same name as me and came to the US during the Irish potato famine in the mid-1800's. After working for the railroad for a while, he won 200 acres of land in a poker game, became a farmer and did quite well.

In 1895, Morgan County IL passed a controversial law that the coroner would get $10 for every death certificate he wrote. My ancestor was coming back from a bar late at night and dropped unresponsive in the street. An argument ensued between my great, great, etc. grandmother and the coroner. She said he was just passed out drunk and it happened all the time, but the coroner said he was dead and wrote the certificate. The next morning my ancestor woke up. This created a scandal over the $10 death certificate law, and it was repealed. My family all has photocopies of the newspaper article from back then and we are proud of our heritage of supporting honesty and fairness in government in Morgan County.
    That is a marvelous story, and having the documentation and copies of the articles makes it precious indeed.
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    I don't buy into any conspiracy that requires dozens, hundreds, or thousands, at very high risk, to collectively keep their traps shut. We did land on the moon. 911 was not an inside job. The virus was not part of a scheme to get government money. All governments lie when confronted with embarrassing evidence.
    I don't buy in to a conspiracy that the virus was intentionally released but I do think that the Chinese are using it to their advantage.

As far a government money is concerned, every entity that has been harmed by this disaster will be in line for government pay offs, and I don't blame them...it's a matter of survival for many.

The virus isn't a scheme to get money, but it's the result of it. How we manage this mess is going to be critical for our country. I wouldn't want to be in Trump's shoes and it's infuriating that the Democrats are actively working against him right now. We have to all pull together and they aren't interested.

Now that the Chinese see how easy it is to cause chaos in the United States, they may do this again, intentionally.

COVID20 coming our way...I'd bet on it.
    jmf552 and msgt/ret like this.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That is a marvelous story, and having the documentation and copies of the articles makes it precious indeed.
    It also gives credence to the validity of an old, old saying of mine given to prospective newlyweds. There are two things never to be rushed into: marriage and embalming.
    Last edited by OldChap; April 6th, 2020 at 01:14 PM.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I also gives credence to the validity of an old, old saying of mine given to prospective newlyweds. There are two things never to be rushed into: marriage and embalming.
    Why not embalming? The patients never complain!
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Sounds like one of my Scottish ancestors, dead drunk instead of just dead.
    I can just hear one of my great- great grandma's saying, "oh don't fret, he is not dead, he is only drunk. he does this all the time".
    Rock and Glock and OldChap like this.

I go with the Occam's Razor inspired idea that ascribing this to a conspiracy is much less likely than the simpler explanation that this is just some stuff that happened. As someone said, if it is an act of terrorism, it backfired. China has been hurt badly by this, both in terms of public health and their economy. Also, their "sort of allies" in Iran have gotten hit hard also.

Here's what I do think we should blame on China because there is evidence of it: They did not, and still have not, been transparent about what they knew at the beginning and what they now know about the virus, information that could have really helped other countries.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I go with the Occam's Razor inspired idea that ascribing this to a conspiracy is much less likely than the simpler explanation that this is just some stuff that happened. As someone said, if it is an act of terrorism, it backfired. China has been hurt badly by this, both in terms of public health and their economy. Also, their "sort of allies" in Iran have gotten hit hard also.

Here's what I do think we should blame on China because there is evidence of it: They did not, and still have not, been transparent about what they knew at the beginning and what they now know about the virus, information that could have really helped other countries.
    I agree as well. And US or any other Government most likely would have done what China did: sit on it for a while hoping it would go away.
    Last edited by Osprey; April 6th, 2020 at 01:15 PM.

Why not embalming? The patients never complain!
    Embalming is terrible for the health of those not yet dead!

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What would Confucius do?
    Confucius would tell the Chinese:

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    We likely will never know the whole truth but I suspect China vastly under reported their numbers. I too will be avoiding as many Chinese products as possible.
    See my signature line. Now can we prosecute China? Had this been a company rather than a country, the litigation would be in overdrive.
    CHINA LIED AND PEOPLE DIED!

Senior Moderator
    The OP really points out that we'll probably never know with certainty whether it came from the Lab, let alone intentionally. I'm not a big believer in the intentional argument. Murphy always speeds ahead without care of consequences.
    OldChap and M1911A1 like this.

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

An article from March pertaining to this topic......https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...de-in-lab.html

One persistent myth is that this virus, called SARS-CoV-2, was made by scientists and escaped from a lab in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak began.

A new analysis of SARS-CoV-2 may finally put that latter idea to bed.

The OP really points out that we'll probably never know with certainty whether it came from the Lab, let alone intentionally. I'm not a big believer in the intentional argument. Murphy always speeds ahead without care of consequences.
    I suspect you are right. Intentional seems a bit beyond the level of thinking there. More like brainless twits playing with fire started something they didn't intend.

I might be a bit harsh in my estimation though.

Senior Moderator
    More like brainless twits playing with fire started something they didn't intend.
    Chinese twits studying bats with help from Harvard fellows that are now in jail.
    Jeanlouise and M1911A1 like this.

It ain't just the Chinese who release scourges onto the world. I'll just say Lovebugs and killer bees.
    Tundra5.7 and M1911A1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links