social security - Page 3

social security

This is a discussion on social security within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldVet Nothing to it. Sign up, they'll tell you how much you get, how much they'll take out, you get what's left ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: social security

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nothing to it. Sign up, they'll tell you how much you get, how much they'll take out, you get what's left over.
    Trying to figure out when to start collecting, at 65 or wait a few years to get more each month. If I wait too long with my luck I will drop dead after my first check.
    Also all these policies that are offered to cover stuff medicare does not cover.
    I hope it is easy. I hate messing with stuff like this. At my age I want to enjoy life
    rotorhead1026 and sdprof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Trying to figure out when to start collecting, at 65 or wait a few years to get more each month. If I wait too long with my luck I will drop dead after my first check.
    Also all these policies that are offered to cover stuff medicare does not cover.
    I hope it is easy. I hate messing with stuff like this. At my age I want to enjoy life
    A dollar in the hand is worth two in the government's.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yep, but they don't. I want what I want.
    A+ for consistency!

You can稚 predict when you値l kick the bucket, so just wait until you actually need the income. Now if no one in your family has ever lived past 64, then, yeah, take it early.

What you値l REALLY need help with is Medicare.
    NECCdude and ctr like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

I haven't figured out how to spend that last $20 COLA I got.
    On the surcharges restaurants are implementing as a result of the same actions that caused there to not be enough money for another increase next year.
    OldVet likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    You can稚 predict when you値l kick the bucket, so just wait until you actually need the income. Now if no one in your family has ever lived past 64, then, yeah, take it early.

Or you can take a lesser amount early, invest it wisely, and make more with it than you would by waiting for a few more years to get a smidgen more each month.
    LimaCharlie and ctr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

What would the government do without all of us ? Why they'd have to be the Americans of way back yesteryear. Fat chance of ever seeing that again.

VIP Member
    Medicare doesn't cover dental or eye care. If you're fortunate, you can get a decent Medicare supplemental plan but the best deals will be in major metro area since there will be more insurers willing to operate there. Where I'm at, only United Healthcare supplemental Medicare plans are available and they are expensive. If you have a wife that isn't of retirement age and/or dependents, it gets more complicated and more costly. And Medicare is more finicky as to what they cover. You'll want to get some kind of air evac plan, also, since that's not covered by normal medical insurance. For those younger people: start saving your pennies.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    的t is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority. ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post

Some companies allow early retirement at age 62 with full benefits if you have at least 30 years of service.
    的t is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority. ― Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    If the politicians of yesteryears hadn't broken into the "lockbox", social security would be in a far better position today.

I heard a financial analyst say that Social Security was supposed to last until 2033 or 2032, but with the current pandemic, SS is only going to last until 2029, barring any government intervention! Talk to a trusted insurance professional regarding Medicare. I did and got on a great plan.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Social security is going broke, but welfare for illegal aliens is forever..
    Jeanlouise, msgt/ret, ctr and 1 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Well, the $1200 I got from the guvmint for a job loss my retired self didn't suffer is IMO better than any COLA, and yes, Medicare is low-end insurance, but then it's at a low-end price.

Social security cant work. Its a mandatory pyramid scheme.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Social security cant work. Its a mandatory pyramid scheme.
    It could have if they hadn't started handing it out like candy to "disabled" people who then work 40 hours a week under the table.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links