Pb Dosage Concerns? - Page 2

Pb Dosage Concerns?

This is a discussion on Pb Dosage Concerns? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A radiator repair shop also exposes the workers to lead. They are constantly fluxing and soldering. One fellow i knew had to change jobs because ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Pb Dosage Concerns?

A radiator repair shop also exposes the workers to lead. They are constantly fluxing and soldering. One fellow i knew had to change jobs because of it. Our shop put in a tank to perform the same repairs but on a much smaller scale. I never did get tested but was only there for a year or two. I was lucky to read an article in the American Rifleman back in the early 80's on the subject and so was careful with reloading and handling of lead. This was done in a corner of the basement and though I wanted to cast my own bullets from all the wheel weights I'd saved, I never did because we had young children in the home at the time.

I really don't care for indoor ranges. 90% to 95% of my shooting has been done outdoors. From what I read, we should also be concerned about mercury from eating a large amount of ocean predator fish. Neither danger should be taken lightly.
    Pete63 and rx7sig like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

Even if I just touch my range bag, I'm off to the sink. Carry my firearm? Sink. Go to the range? Use lead wipes until I can get to a sink.

During my commercial/industrial construction career, I was exposed to seriously harmful chemicals and paints, plutonium, lead, and asbestos. During the last half or third of my career, regular OSHA and MSHA training elevated my and everyone else's awareness of the dangers of being exposed to that stuff.

So, when it comes to my firearms stuff, I am diligent about evaluating exposure risk and hygiene. I saw the document jmf552 posted in #3 above at one of the indoor ranges I use.
    rx7sig likes this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

VIP Member
    I sure hope I have developed a strong constitution from all the crap I was exposed to as a kid.
    Mom and dad and every grown up i knew blowing smoke in my face.
    Dad spraying DDT out of one of those hand crank sprayers all over us kids.
    Playing with mercury out of broken thermometers.
    Its a wonder I only have two eyes and ten fingers, figured i would have grown a few more by now.
    Henry9008, Pete63 and gasmitty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I bet you also rode your bike without a helmet, rode around in the back of a station wagon without a seat belt on.
    How in the wide world of sports did you ever make it to adulthood?
    In many cases, it was a Volkswagen Beetle, so that we were all within arms reach of Dad, should he need to smack us!
    OldVet, KILTED COWBOY and Pete63 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    In many cases, it was a Volkswagen Beetle, so that we were all within arms reach of Dad, should he need to smack us!
    I can relate. NCIS Leroy Jethro Gibbs takes credit for the head slaps. I think he must have learned it from my dad.
    Henry9008 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Just a few more tidbits:

- After a range session, wash your face before eating, even more important if you have facial hair.

- Lead is less soluble in cold water than warm, so consider washing hands & face with cool water instead of hot to get the lead off.

- Picking up brass is every bit as risky for lead exposure as shooting and reloading. Lead styphnate is a common constituent of primer compounds and may be a greater contributor to lead exposure than the lead bullets, as it is vaporized with the powder charge. Consider wearing gloves when handling uncleaned brass during reloading activities.

- Monitor kids! I can't tell you the number of times I see wee kids at the range with Mom & Dad and the kid is invariably handling fired cases... then the hands go to the mouth. Yikes!
    Grizzly2, ButterSmooth and rx7sig like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links