Hand sanitizer sets car on fire - Page 3

Hand sanitizer sets car on fire

This is a discussion on Hand sanitizer sets car on fire within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by svgheartland We may as well be facebook. Are we listening to ourselves? I don't listen to anyone, including myself....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Hand sanitizer sets car on fire

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    We may as well be facebook. Are we listening to ourselves?
    I don't listen to anyone, including myself.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Been keeping it in my car forever in the Texas heat.
    What was the ignition source? I can see it popping the bottle open. But with the car turned off not much of a source for a spark in the cabin.
    G26Raven likes this.

I am sure hand sanitizer will burn givens its alcohol content, but I seriously doubt it will spontaneously ignite at the temperatures found in closed vehicles in the southwest in the summer. If it did, we would be having these types of incidents on a frequent basis.
    OldVet and Jeanlouise like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

VIP Member
    After hearing your arguments, I tend to agree with you all that this is unlikely to happen. Hand sanitizer is flammable but probably won't spontaneously combust.

Carry on...
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Let's think about this from a chemical reaction perspective. 1) in order to have an oxidation / combustion reaction, the hand sanitizer has to be exposed to oxygen. If the container is closed, there will not be enough oxygen to sustain an oxidation reaction. 2) There needs to be a source of flame/spark, etc. Merely being hot is not enough to create an oxidation reaction.

I don't by the spontaneous combustion of hand sanitizer in a hot car theory. There has to be something else. I live in Houston where its hot and muggy. I have hand sanitizer in my truck all the time. I have not had any vehicle fires.
    CHINA LIED AND PEOPLE DIED!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links