Hand sanitizer sets car on fire

This is a discussion on Hand sanitizer sets car on fire within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow, who would have thought that would get hot enough to start a fire. Makes sense when you think about it, but geez... "OCONOMOWOC, Wis. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Hand sanitizer sets car on fire

VIP Member

Wow, who would have thought that would get hot enough to start a fire. Makes sense when you think about it, but geez...

"OCONOMOWOC, Wis. (WMTV) - An Oconomowoc fire department is warning people about the dangers of leaving hand sanitizer in their vehicles on a hot day.

In a Facebook post showing a burned-out car door, the Western Lakes Fire District explains most hand sanitizers are alcohol-based, making them flammable."

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/?a...Z_kJkkCNRVNeIU

edited to add: there's a picture of the burnt out car in the link.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; May 21st, 2020 at 07:35 PM.
    scottync, msgt/ret and NavCop like this.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Geez Jeanlouise, I keep hand sanitizer in my truck for taking a weekly trash haul to the dump. Blowing up my truck on the way to the dump is not how I see myself checking out.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    I never even thought to find out if hand sanitizer was flammable. You learn something new every day.
    Jeanlouise and msgt/ret like this.

2/3 alcohol.

Problem is leaving it out in bright sunlight. Leaving it in, say, the center console should be fine.
    NECCdude and Jeanlouise like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

When we lived in the mountains of NC we used a large economy size to start our wood stove which was our primary heat in the winter. A couple squirts a few pieces of kindling was all it took to restart a fire in the wood stove in the morning. It is much safer than lighter fluid and will not flare up like other flammables. We also saved dryer lint for re-starting fires it also works very well as a fire starter!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    2/3 alcohol.

Problem is leaving it out in bright sunlight. Leaving it in, say, the center console should be fine.
    IDK...the picture in the link shows that it was is the side pocket of the driver's side door.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I donít buy it. Donít stop at the liquor store unless youíre going straight home with the AC blowing and hope you live through it. And this is happening in Wisconsin where it gets so ungodly hot in May?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I donít buy it. Donít stop at the liquor store unless youíre going straight home with the AC blowing and hope you live through it. And this is happening in Wisconsin where it gets so ungodly hot in May?
    Here's the link to the fire department and they give some more information. https://www.facebook.com/westernlake...94821147468850

It might be a file photo from summer, but the point is the hand sanitizer in a hot car.

Mmmmmmm. I'm leaning toward electrical failure and poor vehicle design. If you ever really look at the electrical wiring and components in vehicles, it's usually pretty crappy. Three of the last four cars I've owned have had recalls for potential electrical fires. Sunlight would make the container pop the cap and the alcohol to boil off.
    Tstone, ctr, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Mmmmmmm. I'm leaning toward electrical failure and poor vehicle design. If you ever really look at the electrical wiring and components in vehicles, it's usually pretty crappy. Sunlight would make the container pop the cap and the alcohol to boil off.
    So that bottle of bourbon in your cup holder is nothing to worry about...
    rotorhead1026 and G26Raven like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Modern auto glass is much better than vintage. Car interiors still get hot but there must be a missing element to the story.

Iíve had hand sanitizer in my vehicle for nearly 20 years without issue.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

VIP Member
    I tend to go with @OldVet on this one.
    ctr likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    So that bottle of bourbon in your cup holder is nothing to worry about...
    Ummm, that's air freshener, officer.
    G26Raven, Grizzly2 and Tstone like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I tend to go with @OldVet on this one.
    That's a bad habit to start.

VIP Member
    Hand sanitizer is supposed to be at least 65% alcohol. I found the following chart:

I was involved in an experiment concerning propane fuel canisters (for nail guns) exploding in automobiles. We learned the interior temperature of the automobile could get up to 140 degrees (with an outside temperature of 80+) and the propane canister would blow apart. If there is ANY spark inside the vehicle, the resulting flash will surely be a remarkable fireball.

If the internal temp of the automobile rose high enough, there could certainly have been a spark inside the car door causing the damage shown in the photo.

I guess the upshot would be it could be dangerous to leave your hand sanitizer exposed to sunlight, in your automobile, at any temperature above approx 75 degrees F.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links