Contact tracing - Page 2

Contact tracing

This is a discussion on Contact tracing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Jeanlouise IDK...what hints do I get from a phone named after a fruit?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Contact tracing

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    IDK...what hints do I get from a phone named after a fruit?
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Want to foil their nefarious plans?

Just leave the phone at the house when you go somewhere.

Although it may be hard to believe, at one time we didn't have cell phones and we got along just fine.

We did get along but cell phones have made life so much easier and I wouldn't want to be out driving today without mine. I'd hate to go back to the days of trying to find a public phone to make a call.

We got along without electricity and cars too, but life is so much better with them.

Cell phones are a double edged sword in a lot of ways.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

IDK...what hints do I get from a phone named after a fruit?
    Probably the social preferences of the people who designed it!

Although semantically, to compare "apples to apples" (pun intended) Android is an operating system, the Apple version of which is iOS. "Apple" is the manufacturer, which would be analogous to Samsung, LG, etc. for Android phones.

And to support your comment on your last post, I can't remember when I have even seen a public pay phone, except maybe at an airport, in a long time.
    Jeanlouise and nj709 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Probably the social preferences of the people who designed it!

Although semantically, to compare "apples to apples" (pun intended) Android is an operating system, the Apple version of which is iOS. "Apple" is the manufacturer, which would be analogous to Samsung, LG, etc. for Android phones.

And to support your comment on your last post, I can't remember when I have even seen a public pay phone, except maybe at an airport, in a long time.
    Nowadays pay phones are like honest politicians, very few and far between.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I thought Iphones were so secure the FBI can't even open one.
    Jeanlouise, G26Raven and Sister like this.

G26Raven, Sister and forester58 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Funny to me that people think this is something new, they’re watching the flock and have been for decades. To believe anything else is naive. The shackles of tyranny are forged one link at a time. Do not underestimate our huge and sophisticated governments desire for power and control. As we learn to bear and carry each new link another is being forged.

@OldChap : Good info. I was thinking about those pouches, but I was worried about my family not being able to get ahold of me. One thing I found out though is they still make pagers. They are not expensive, they are very small, and the cheaper ones are "receive only," nothing to track.
    I picked up a tactic from one of our SWAT commanders, which I'm sure he learned in the military. He would open a communications channel for 30 seconds each quarter hour. The radios would then be shut off from the channel until the next time slot. With a cell phone, it will download any text or email traffic when taken out of the bag - unless you have a huge pile of ads!

The SWAT guy used that procedure before a raid. When they actually committed to action, they would keep the command channel open continuously. Should have mentioned that.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

We did get along but cell phones have made life so much easier and I wouldn't want to be out driving today without mine. I'd hate to go back to the days of trying to find a public phone to make a call.

We got along without electricity and cars too, but life is so much better with them.

Cell phones are a double edged sword in a lot of ways.
    Android here also, but what irks me are those folks who feel they must be in constant contact with the world--as if they all have clients on death row and are awaiting a last-minute pardon from the governor. My wife is one of them, never turning hers off for anything. And then she has the thing set to chime every couple minutes if she gets a text, so it's ding-ding-sing all dang day long! Then she spends 20 minutes texting what could have been a two-minute phone call. Drives me bonkers.

I turn my phone on when I need to turn it on. I am not at anyone's beckon and call. They can leave a message and I'll get back to them--eventually. A battery charge lasts me a long time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I can't remember when I have even seen a public pay phone, except maybe at an airport, in a long time.
    The last pay phone I encountered only was capable of making outgoing calls. Not receiving calls. Is that universal now?
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will just bring you down to their level - and then beat you with experience." George Carlin

I got a haircut yesterday, left the phone at home but had mobile Ham radio for any emergency. Your phone is not attached, assert your independence from big tech.
    Sister and Hoganbeg like this.
    Still Clingin'

Faraday bags ~ Prices are going up daily!!!

the bags that @OldChap suggested. We have a few and more on the way. when all is said and done we will have 4 phone bags and two 14 X 18” bags. Have three cell bags already, as we ordered more the prices seemed to jump a few dollars a day on amazon and eBay.

People are catching on to these things like the toilet paper running out. Cheap one’s can be had for around a buck or two a bag that have ziplocks on them. I did find 2 nice one’s for $15, now they are up to over $25 for the same deal. The bigger one’s are for our lap tops/ipads.

If anyone visits we want them to put their phone in a bag while here and dispatch it in the driveway. Do we have it? Don’t think so, I’ve had all of those symptoms for over 5 years so unless I can’t smell anymore I’ll never know. My cousin said that was the give away for covid, the smell test. If you can’t smell then don’t tell anybody cause... 🎼 they’ll come and take you away hee hee ha ha 🎶 😡 Brown Shirts!

They work good, completely shut off any link even when turned off - it takes a minute or two for it to search for the towers when taken out of the bag.
    OldChap likes this.
    “FIRST DO NO HARM”, The forgotten creed and a profession that is licensed to kill by our government.

UDC member
    Independent voter [earn my vote Bubba!]

The only reason I even have a cell phone is for emergency use and it is not smart!
    OldChap likes this.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself – "hands behind the back" – toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Android here also, but what irks me are those folks who feel they must be in constant contact with the world--as if they all have clients on death row and are awaiting a last-minute pardon from the governor. My wife is one of them, never turning hers off for anything. And then she has the thing set to chime every couple minutes if she gets a text, so it's ding-ding-sing all dang day long! Then she spends 20 minutes texting what could have been a two-minute phone call. Drives me bonkers.

I turn my phone on when I need to turn it on. I am not at anyone's beckon and call. They can leave a message and I'll get back to them--eventually. A battery charge lasts me a long time.
    I agree with you OV, hate the constant noise like a “Master” telling me to pick it up. Have found a great love for our new Faraway bags, to stay “safe” my phone goes into it all day long, night too. If I’m with CWO then anyone else can wait until I get ready to take it out of the bag. I’M IN CONTROL NOT THE PHONE!

Yeah.....cell phones suck 98% of the time imho.
    OldVet and OldChap like this.
    “FIRST DO NO HARM”, The forgotten creed and a profession that is licensed to kill by our government.

UDC member
    Independent voter [earn my vote Bubba!]

BTW, the US government can track you now if it wants to, even without this new update and apps. It is suspected that they can even get access to your phone's microphone, even when you are not on a call. That may be conspiracy theory, but it is technically possible.
    You cannot take a cell phone with it's battery in place into a classified area. It can be listened to at anytime, even off. Battery must be out. It's not just a suspicion. Glad those days are behind me...
    jmf552 and OldChap like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links