How to stop tyranny

How to stop tyranny

This is a discussion on How to stop tyranny within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think this is an accurate assessment....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: How to stop tyranny

How to stop tyranny

I think this is an accurate assessment.

How to stop tyranny-99099813_3030644643651059_8753720837665718272_n.jpg
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99099813_3030644643651059_8753720837665718272_n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	327544

And the Original Constitution ; )
    H/D
    G26Raven, ctr, OldChap and 11 others like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My niece is a school teacher in Cali. They can't teach history due to the violence the US perpetrated. Look at the bad things and the cruelty we did in WWII to the Japanese (Forget Pearl Harbor). And don't get her started on all the babies we killed in Viet Nam. They just can't introduce the children to this. So they tame it down, but just a little. The basic facts are there. BS
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

And who exactly do we have to thank for this? Why certainly...our taxpayer funded educational system, followed by our institutes of "higher learning."

I am of the opinion that "college education" is now an oxymoron.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    And who exactly do we have to thank for this? Why certainly...our taxpayer funded educational system, followed by our institutes of "higher learning."

I am of the opinion that "college education" is now an oxymoron.
    The second dumbest thing on the planet is a high school student because they think they know everything. The dumbest thing on the planet is a college student because they know they know everything.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    The second dumbest thing on the planet is a high school student because they think they know everything. The dumbest thing on the planet is a college student because they know they know everything.
    Back in the 80's I did recruiting interviews for our DOD applications group. I began to see guys with a Master's degree from very "prestigious" schools who couldn't write a paragraph expressing their purpose in looking to work with us without every 5th word being misspelled and grammatical errors all over the place. I actually wrote a few weekly reports suggesting that if we were going to sustain our world leadership in these projects, we would be wise to invest in a university and educate our own engineers.

Eventually we almost did that. We brought the best scientists and educators in-house twice a week and everyone went to "school".
    G26Raven, msgt/ret, ctr and 6 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Having worked as a social studies teacher for many years I heartily agree.

But, the reality is history and civics have never stopped being taught, but expectations and the attention of students has waned to such an extent that a high school diploma is nothing more than a participation trophy now.

If the schools won't teach it, it is up to the parents to teach it. I read that in Nazi Germany, a lot of parents taught their kids the truth at home. Sometimes the kids turned in the parents for it and the parents were arrested. But at least they tried.

At least so far, it is not illegal for parents in the US to teach their kids the truth. I think it's their duty to do so. Unfortunately, it has gone so far that the parents don't know the truth either.
    G26Raven, ctr, Hoganbeg and 6 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Having worked as a social studies teacher for many years I heartily agree.

But, the reality is history and civics have never stopped being taught, but expectations and the attention of students has waned to such an extent that a high school diploma is nothing more than a participation trophy now.
    Iíve never been a fan of mandated education. If itís valuable, people will seek it out and actively do their part to learn. If itís a check-the-box requirement,then a majority will do the bare minimum and end up slowing down those who would otherwise do much better.
    G26Raven and Nmuskier like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Back in the 80's I did recruiting interviews for our DOD applications group. I began to see guys with a Master's degree from very "prestigious" schools who couldn't write a paragraph expressing their purpose in looking to work with us without every 5th word being misspelled and grammatical errors all over the place. I actually wrote a few weekly reports suggesting that if we were going to sustain our world leadership in these projects, we would be wise to invest in a university and educate our own engineers.

Eventually we almost did that. We brought the best scientists and educators in-house twice a week and everyone went to "school".
    I co-taught a graduate course in Marketing Communications with a friend of mine who has his PhD in English and was a professional writer. We gave a lot of writing assignments and we both read what was turned in and agreed on the grades. Some of the stuff was good, but we were horrified by some of the bad stuff. There were some students who couldn't express themselves in writing at a middling high school level. And these were mostly graduate students in the Marketing and Communications tracks. But the worst student we had was a lawyer. She was taking the course with some idea of expanding her law practice into Marketing Communications, I don't know how.

She complained that we gave her a "C" on every assignment she turned in, and I can say sometimes that grade was a "gift." She said, "Lawyers are trained to write English differently than other people. My thought was, "And you don't see a problem with that?"
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Iíve never been a fan of mandated education. If itís valuable, people will seek it out and actively do their part to learn. If itís a check-the-box requirement,then a majority will do the bare minimum and end up slowing down those who would otherwise do much better.
    I sent my kids to private, religious schools, which cost almost more than we could afford. But it paid off in the long run. They both went on to get doctorates and the grad schools were all on their own nickels.

But the point of the story is that I sat at a father/daughter dinner/dance with a dad who was the principal of one of the highest rated public high schools in our area. I asked him why he sent his daughter to a private school. He said words to the effect that a student who wants to learn could get as good, or better, education at his public high school. They had better facilities and better qualified, higher paid teachers. The problem is that if a student doesn't want to learn, they can't be forced to. They can coast and get away with it. At the private school our daughters went to, they don't let the students off the hook. They perform or they get called out on it and are put under pressure to do better. And if they still fail, they are out, cut off from all their friends.

Also, at the private religious schools they have to learn values. The students may not internalize those values, but they will be in there somewhere as they grow up. It is worth noting that private religious school had students that were not of that religion. I know we had some Jewish and Hindi students. I think those parents recognized that factor.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99099813_3030644643651059_8753720837665718272_n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	327544
    Yes but go back to the history taught in the 1950s, not the rewritten politically correct pablum started in the 1960s.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

jmf552, I was a Jewish kid in a Catholic high school. It was my decision to go there because the education was better than what was available in Los Angeles schools in the 60s.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

The most basic command of the English language is absent from so many these days. It is appalling to read not just a resume' but even simple posts on a forum. Words are misused, misspelled, and time-honored expressions misquoted to the point that they are nonsense. Many younger folks seem to consider it more important to properly use text and net speak abbreviations, then complain that the older generation doesn't understand them. The cycle continues, and the bar sinks lower and lower. OK, off my soap box, but no apology. It is what it is.
    All the great men are dying - I don't feel so good myself.

How many decades has this ship been off course ? It can't just be fixed so easily. That would involve changing course and going against a strong current.

I look at the U.S like I'm looking at a fleet of ships. Some of those ships left the fleet and have become lost at sea but won't ever admit it. The whole fleet might become scattered.
    G26Raven, hogdaddy and Nmuskier like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links