The Official Civil OC versus CC Discussion Thread - Page 5

The Official Civil OC versus CC Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on The Official Civil OC versus CC Discussion Thread within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do both . In Louisiana ,OC is assured in the State constitution. Sometimes young coppers and the occasional hysteric will get stupid but usually ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: The Official Civil OC versus CC Discussion Thread

VIP Member
    I do both . In Louisiana ,OC is assured in the State constitution. Sometimes young coppers and the occasional hysteric will get stupid but usually ends well. Cc as well. The heat and humidity dictate a lot of it for old chubby me .
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    I do both . In Louisiana ,OC is assured in the State constitution. Sometimes young coppers and the occasional hysteric will get stupid but usually ends well. Cc as well. The heat and humidity dictate a lot of it for old chubby me .
    I know the feeling. My rock hard, lean, mean, fighting machine military body had gone to jello in a couple places over the years. I'm not 26 and in my prime fighting weight anymore. Sometimes I OC just for my own personal comfort. You know...because I have zero motivation to do cardio. I went on a run with my 13 year old last Saturday, 3 miles. 3 very very very long miles. 3 miles of which after I felt I may just keel over and kiss the concrete. My son was like "whoa dad I cant believe you kept up". I was all like "Pffft....no sweat". Lies...all lies...I was dying and I just knew I was about to make my wife a widow.

Well at least you can run. Try that when your 70 years old with two blown out knees.
    OD*, Morbidrealities and carracer like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DogWalksWithMe View Post
    I've seen the discussion come up many times in this forum, most recently in a thread I started. In the interests of keeping other threads from going off of the stated subjects, I think this might be a good place to redirect such discussion (if this is a disaster, I trust the mods to make this thread go away). It isn't a matter of not wanting to discuss the subject, just a matter of not wanting to divert from the stated subjects in other threads. So, keeping in mind...

From the stickies:

And
    Consider this post The Official Request For Evidence Proving OC Exposes One To A Greater Risk Of Being Targeted For Crime.
    TeflonDon and carracer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    I know the feeling. My rock hard, lean, mean, fighting machine military body had gone to jello in a couple places over the years. I'm not 26 and in my prime fighting weight anymore. Sometimes I OC just for my own personal comfort. You know...because I have zero motivation to do cardio. I went on a run with my 13 year old last Saturday, 3 miles. 3 very very very long miles. 3 miles of which after I felt I may just keel over and kiss the concrete. My son was like "whoa dad I cant believe you kept up". I was all like "Pffft....no sweat". Lies...all lies...I was dying and I just knew I was about to make my wife a widow.
    Glad to know I'm not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Well at least you can run. Try that when your 70 years old with two blown out knees.
    My knees and ankles are jacked. Some mornings it's only intestinal fortitude or my prostate that forces me to stand up. Those first few steps when everything below my waist cracks, pops and, yells expletives in the morning are hilarious....to my wife. I'm usually mumbling something like "had to join the Army, had to fall out of airplanes, had to be an idiot." I can't imagine being 70. I look forward to yelling at the neighborhood kids "Get off my lawn!" while waving my cane, though!
    Darenger and SatCong like this.

The Official Civil OC versus CC Discussion Thread

I carry almost 100% of the time I'm out and about, and it's ALWAYS CC. I just don't like to OC.

However I love when I see others OC'ing. I have mad respect for them. But really something small like 1% of the population actually carries (at all) and if you figure maybe 5% of are OCers, seeing someone OCing is very very rare. Since such a small percent of the population carries in general I respect anyone who does, regardless of how.

I also really like how my wife and daughter will see people OCing, point it out to me, and not think twice about it. To them seeing guns is normal so maybe there's still hope for the future.
    Morbidrealities likes this.

Why did the chicken cross the road...? to prove to the Possum that it could be done!
    Morbidrealities likes this.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

This already seems to have become something other than a discussion about OC vs CC. Oh well
    OD* and Morbidrealities like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I think there's a time and place for both OC and CC. When I'm out in public, I prefer to CC. When I'm in the woods or hiking with a backpack I think it would be great to be able to OC. Unfortunately Florida doesn't allow Open Carry, so I end up trying to conceal carry while wearing a backpack and wearing light clothing. It makes it uncomfortable and harder to access my weapon.

I also think that a half century of hiding weapons and pretending they don't exist has resulted in two generations of wimps who pee themselves at the thought of a firearm in public. I agree that it helps to change that perception when a law abiding citizen can wear a firearm in full view without engaging in obnoxious or illegal behavior.

"A right not practiced is a right soon lost."
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

I said on page one:
    people overwhelmingly proclaim that they are OCing to change public perception, OCing to foster conversation about guns, OCing because of activism, OCing so they don't loose a right or OCing to foster firearms education. Many of those same people will also go to great lengths to discuss how their OCing effects others, their response toward them, the Police, Business owners, patrons and passerbys. Its simply an observation that OC discussions rarely examine how OC will help or hinder their self defense initiatives.
    Rhino said on page 5:
    I also think that a half century of hiding weapons and pretending they don't exist has resulted in two generations of wimps who pee themselves at the thought of a firearm in public. I agree that it helps to change that perception when a law abiding citizen can wear a firearm in full view without engaging in obnoxious or illegal behavior.

"A right not practiced is a right soon lost."
    Last edited by Fizban; June 30th, 2016 at 02:12 PM.
    OD* likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Each has its own time and place. If I'm either on my property or in the woods, I'll open carry because it's more comfortable and more accessible. If I expect to be around people I don't know, I'll choose concealed carry.
    OD* and SatCong like this.

I open carried last evening. Visited the Doctors Office where my wife was getting her foot checked out. The doctor told her he appreciated my carrying. From there to a restaurant for Mexican dinner. Then to Hastings Books for leisurely perusing the books and magazines. No one cared if they even noticed. Typical of my open carry days.

My thoughts are: That some bad guys are deterred by open carry. Not all. There is no "advantage" to "Element of surprise". You are already under assault of some kind so are reacting to an event, open or concealed.

Advantages to both. Disadvantages to both. Do either or both, just carry.
    SatCong likes this.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    My knees and ankles are jacked. Some mornings it's only intestinal fortitude or my prostate that forces me to stand up. Those first few steps when everything below my waist cracks, pops and, yells expletives in the morning are hilarious....to my wife. I'm usually mumbling something like "had to join the Army, had to fall out of airplanes, had to be an idiot." I can't imagine being 70.
    It don't get any better. When I was at the naval air base, they had a jump club and I just had to do it. But the first jump I broke bones in both of my feet. After I healed up, I did four more jumps. But it sure gets you a new out look on life. I didn't say I was too smart. Old saying young and very dumb.
    Morbidrealities and OD* like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    This is not a "debate" to me whatsoever. Either you like to OC or CC or you don't! It's just that simple! I personally "prefer" to CC.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links