OC and Recent Events - Page 2

OC and Recent Events

This is a discussion on OC and Recent Events within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I rarely OC. I only do it when I am participating in VCDL events, to make a statement. I think I would definitely not want ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: OC and Recent Events

I rarely OC. I only do it when I am participating in VCDL events, to make a statement. I think I would definitely not want to OC in a possible high strife area. In the real-life SHTF stories I've read, OC makes you a target for all sorts of people: cops who think the strife justifies any decision they make, citizens who are all excited and call the police repeatedly and perhaps even embellish to get their attention, BGs who might want to shoot me first or want my gun, other legal carriers who might overreact. Not all people who legally carry guns are not all as smart as the people on this website.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Given the choice, I'd prefer to CC 100 times out of 100 over OC. Any potential BG would identify me as a threat right off the bat, and would target me first, negating my weapon as a threat neutralizer.
    Fizban likes this.

If you don't OC why respond to this thread? The question was asked to people that open carry. There are plenty of OC vs. CC threads available to input your elements of surprise without being the first target while upsetting liberals.

Is it because people who don't OC are so morally superior that they have to hijack every.single.OC.thread?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    No hi-jacks allowed, folks, as mentioned above. I OC and CC, but with current events, just want to throttle back a wee bit.

And we don't allow moral superiority or sanctimonious comments, so don't even go there.
    Ianthin likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    OC folks, have you changed recently?

Have recent events (Dallas, Baton Rouge, etc.) played a role in whether you OC or CC now?

Even though Nancy and I are not in a urban area with much racial strife, there is a high incidence of opioids, meth, MJ and the like, in addition to a lot of larceny and petty crime. I am beginning to carry CC much more frequently now, rather than OC, merely to reduce my visibility.

How about others? Thoughts?
    I'm not completely off the grid but I'm in a secluded area. The sheriff came to visit with me a while back and said because of the meth problems in the county, he thought I should carry all the time. The nearest town is 6 miles away but the first 2 miles is a private road. I've never had anything stolen from my property and have yet to see any odd activity near my property. I OC up to the Interstate and then at least cover with a shirt or more discreetly conceal depending on where I'm going. There are very few No weapons signs on any of the businesses. Still, I don't see anyone intentionally open carrying when I go into town.
    Rock and Glock and SatCong like this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    @SIGP250 , I like your Sheriff!

We've been pretty remote too, off and on for a decade or so. That changes the way one thinks.
    SIGP250 and SatCong like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    As someone who OC's regularly myself, I assure you people notice. They may not say anything, and you may not catch them noticing, but they do.

I haven't changed anything, though I can see the rationale. So far, the local officers I've spoke with haven't changed their outlook on the matter. Plus, my rural area isn't prone to much excitement. If I head toward Louisville though, I'll probably conceal. They changed their patrol strategy after Dallas. Not sure if they'll make further changes an ilght of today's event.
    I can assure you that not that many people notice, I have had conversations with people for 30-40 minutes and they only saw my pistol when I turned to leave. The funny thing is they ask if that I was wearing it when I walked up. Most of my customers don't notice for days when I have been working in their houses. I have caught people staring occasionally and I realize that they have seen my pistol but the majority of the time it is children that notice, most adults are to self absorbed to notice their surroundings or that I am OC. I have been during this for a long time and am pretty observant. I am sure ther are folks that do see it that I am not aware of but they would be in the minority.

I OC when out and about on the mountain. No big deal only a few neighbors here and they are all gun people. Rare occasion that the sheriff takes a ride up here he just waves and moves on. I CC when going into town and anywhere else.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Don't do it very often, but doesn't seem to be a problem here....the cops accept it just fine....unless you are doing something stupid.
    "The great object is that every man be armed."
    Patrick Henry

NRA Benefactor Member
    USCG Veteran

Nope, Nothing has changed as I still OC anytime I venture out into the zoo.

I rarely OC. Generally when I have done so its more a case of "Its hot. Im not going to fool with a cover garmet, the heck with who does or doesnt like it."

Still, Im a big supporter of open carry. So long as folks dont see good guys with guns, they think we dont exist.

Saying that, most times with a pistol they dont see it regardless of how I carry. Folks are not very observant.
    chp1911 and Darenger like this.

For me, I like being in a state that considers "open carry" legal, because then, as I am carrying concealed, if my cover garment flaps in the wind and exposes my weapon, I didn't suddenly go from "legally armed citizen" to "law breaker" because of that wind gust.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    OC folks, have you changed recently?

Have recent events (Dallas, Baton Rouge, etc.) played a role in whether you OC or CC now?

Even though Nancy and I are not in a urban area with much racial strife, there is a high incidence of opioids, meth, MJ and the like, in addition to a lot of larceny and petty crime. I am beginning to carry CC much more frequently now, rather than OC, merely to reduce my visibility.

How about others? Thoughts?
    I think its good to be the grey man. Out of sight out of mind. It is getting bad, no reason to throw more fuel on the fire. IMO...
    Fizban and Rock and Glock like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

I live in mostly OC friendly Virginia and CC the vast majority of the time. However, OC is a right we have here in Virginia, so from time to time, I make it a point to OC, just because I can and while I still can. I OC at VCDL meetings (Virginia Citizen's Defense League - VCDL, is a major self defense rights group here in VA). The NOVA VCDL meetings are in a police station, where OC and CC are both legal. I OC at the gun show (unloaded and zip tied) and OC at several restaurants and stores I know are OC friendly. A right you're afraid to exercise because it might upset people is a right you've willingly given up and lost.

I CC 95% of the time. I have nothing against OC and support it on principle, just not for me!
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links