To OC or not to OC.....

To OC or not to OC.....

This is a discussion on To OC or not to OC..... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sittin' on the back porch at 6:30 in the morning, I decided to share my thoughts on the OC thing. I've had my CC license ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: To OC or not to OC.....

To OC or not to OC.....

Sittin' on the back porch at 6:30 in the morning, I decided to share my thoughts on the OC thing. I've had my CC license for a few years and just have never been prone to open carry. But on a whim a few weeks back, I ordered a OTW holster from Craft Holsters just to have for trips to the country and the deer lease.
    We had a new Dick's Sporting Goods store open in the local mall this weekend, so I thought what better venue to try out the OC mystique. So I strapped on my CZ P07 Duty in my new holster, and headed out.
    First off, when I slammed the truck door shut, I nearly punched the new rig into my left kidney. I wear CC at the 7:30 position (yep, left handed), so I really never had this problem before. After I got all positioned comfortably, off I went. When I got tot the mall, I noticed 30:06 and 30:07 signs on the mall doors. I had never really paid attention to this before, cuz I'm pretty much a don't ask, don't tell kind of guy, but the new Dick's was so big, they had put in thier own entrance and low and behold, no signage on thier door, so in I went.
    Now, not since I first got my CC license and did my first WallyWorld walk had I ever been so aware of carrying a gun on my person. I am a very unassuming 64 yr old ex Navy vet (well, I'm still a Navy vet), and ex City Building Official, and don't have anything to prove, but found this to be a very uncomfortable sensation. I felt like I had a big sign strapped to my back saying 'yeah, I'm bad, don't mess with me.....
    Every time I reached into my front pocket for change or to get my glasses out, I encountered a new obstacle. Just walking created a new arm swing to compensate for the bulge on my left side. Little kids and thier moms seemed to view me as.....well you get the picture.
    So to make a long story short (God, I hate that phrase, cuz you know when someone says that they have absolutely no intention of making the story short), OC'ing isn't for me. I absolutely believe in the right, just as I do the 2A, but when you see me coming, apparently unarmed, well, you just never know....
    USN 69-83
    Of all the advice I've ever gotten, the best is what I never listened to, except for when my Grandpa told me,
    "if your gonna be dumb, then you better be tough!"

VIP Member
    It ain't for everyone. At least you gave it an honest try.
    Havok, rcsoftexas and jackrock like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Heck I feel the same way. I got a pocket holster and a OWB holster for my Taurus 605. I pocket carry a couple of months but then decided to get a OWB and did it a few times with it showing. But decided to wear my shirt untuck and covering it but it does print a little since I carry a revolver that is .357 mag caliber but I feel more comfortable.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum!" -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus ​(If you want peace, prepare for war)

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

In the small town I live in OC was not a problem,[ It's now illegal.] but it's small enough that you aren't jammed up next to each other. the longest lines I have seen are two or three people at the grocery store. restaurants don't have waiting lines, etc.... We seem to have a lot of personal space.
    But just 35 miles away in the next city of any size [ just over 500,000] people seem to feel the need to stand right up on you, You stand in line for everything, And there is very little personal space, I would feel very uncomfortable OC'ing there. Even the cops have had to add more and more retention to there holsters!

For me its about all things in there proper place. Taylor your carry to your surroundings. Good Luck DR
    rcsoftexas likes this.

OC is probably not for me. I don't like drawing attention to myself, and I don't feel the need to "prove a point" or "educate the public". Not to say that I will never OC, but it will more than likely be when I've been in the woods (of course, will have to let things settle down at work and get some help before I can even think about hunting or IDPA, maybe Feb).

I only OC around my home area. There are less than a dozen homes here and guns are no big deal so nobody cares. When i go into town it's always concealed. As already stated OC isn't for everyone. I respect their rights to OC but for me it's CC. I guess most important thing is that you have made the choice to carry, how you do it is up to you.

Whip12 ... Interesting analysis of your experience and I support everyone's right to do as they see fit on this matter. While I typically OC at the range, on my property, when my wife and I take our evening walks, etc., I've never been one to draw attention to myself or feel the need to "educate others" on the matter. Accordingly I CC the vast majority of the time.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

To OC or not to OC..... Yes!
    rcsoftexas and tcox4freedom like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I see a lot of comments like "I feel no need to educate others or make a statement", For me it isn't about that at all. OC allows me to comfortably carry a bigger gun. DR
    rcsoftexas, Havok and oldman45 like this.

Sorry, I need to expand on my comment above. One of my pet peeves is people who OC just so they can "make a statement" or "educate the public". The ones I have seen, seem to want attention so they can stand up for their rights, explain the meaning behind the 2A, prove that we are not all redneck morons just waiting for something to happen so we can go in guns ablazin' and protect the public, etc. Whether you OC or CC, I think that it should be treated as nothing more than a part of your lifestyle and your wardrobe. Personally, I think that makes a bigger positive impact on the public.

I CC nearly 99.99999% of the time. The only exception is when I get out of the car to pump gas or when I'm wearing something that won't cover up it anyway. I prefer that no one knows that I'm carrying, even my wife.
    MB53 likes this.

I have met on OCer in Krogers I shook his hand and thanked him. I have a Serpa Holster (Really don't like it much). I'd rather wear my AIWB but have my gun exposed , but it makes my wife too nervous. I OC'd once, No big deal.
    I do love my AIWB rig and like the CC part, but If I see you OCing I will thank you and acknowledge your commitment !
    LeanHard likes this.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

I'm not in a state where I can OC and don't live in an area where I would want to OC, but I do think it has a place. I like the fact people OC. It brings a sense of freedom and may inspire others to think about there freedoms. If it frightens others then I would hope it would inspire them to really think why there afraid. Maybe then they will come to a logical conclusion. I have my droughts though regarding the logic of people who suffer from Hoplophobia.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

I find that now that I OC I am much more aware of my surroundings than I was before. I've also realized that most people are clueless to the fact that a firearm is right out in the open. I've literally had one negative situation that wasn't really a negative, just a mommy kind of give me the stink eye. I've had good gun safety conversations with children (when a parent has approached me with their child). I've had some fantastic conversations with old timers that I wouldn't have had otherwise. Very good interactions with LEO. I really think it has to do with were you live, how you present yourself ( I have a 10 foot greating/acknowledgement rule) and how much effort you put into being more aware of your surroundings and the people that inhabit them.

I carry OC for comfort and CC out of the occasional necessity. I'm all for any legal carry method. The more good guys with guns, the better.
    MB53, Darenger and oldman45 like this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    We live in a rural area so I OC around my property as there is obviously no need to conceal. Wife is used to it-OC or CC- and hasn't said a thing about it from the beginning. Although she supports it she doesn't carry so I've got that job. However she is quite proficient with her 586 so I'm hoping one day she'll go thru the process and rig up. But when I pass thru my gate I'm CCing as I don't feel a need to advertise for whatever reason it may be perceived as by anyone else. I figure it's just wise to keep ones cards close to ones vest. The nearest town is 9 miles away and it's a small community where I wouldn't expect or anticipate any negativity to an OC as there are a lot of ag commerce related people. I haven't noticed a 30-07 sign in town anywhere. And the only "30.06" I've seen is on ammo boxes at walmart. I guess that's a good 'sign'. I may give OC in town a try sometime but for now am comfortable enough with my IWB CC rig. I'm glad our State passed the OC law and support everyone's right to choose. More good guys with guns should equate to a safer society. Time will tell though.
    Morbidrealities likes this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links