Examples of Problems Encountered By OC'ers - Page 11

Examples of Problems Encountered By OC'ers

This is a discussion on Examples of Problems Encountered By OC'ers within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been really looking into this whole OC thing and have been fascinated watching all the videos on the web showing people having issues ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
Like Tree577Likes

Thread: Examples of Problems Encountered By OC'ers

So I've been really looking into this whole OC thing and have been fascinated watching all the videos on the web showing people having issues with people calling the police and all the other problems that go around OC. I've carried concealed for just over a decade "I'm 39 years old", and I don't see why anyone would want to deal with those issues. Why not just conceal the gun and avoid all the hassles? It seems from the tone of OC people that they do it because it's allowed and they want to prove a point rather than to carry a gun discreetly to be able to defend themselves or others around them. They always have all the legal answers for the police when they show up like they've practiced in front of the mirror, and they just seem to almost look for someone to question their freedoms. Is the hassle really worth it? I know some people love to look for trouble, and it really seems like if someone open carries when they are able to conceal carry they are just looking to be challenged on their freedoms and carrying for all the wrong reasons. I just don't get it. To each their own but especially with something as serious as a firearm I would just rather try to avoid any kind of problems or questions at all costs.

Senior Moderator
    I don't know that any of us are baiting the idiotic opposition, but this current political environment is the strangest I've seen in my limited years, and nothing appears beyond the insanity of the crowd. What I'm sayin' is they're just crazy. Just crazy, and gettin' worse.

Mike1956, SatCong, G-man* and 2 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I don't know that any of us are baiting the idiotic opposition, but this current political environment is the strangest I've seen in my limited years, and nothing appears beyond the insanity of the crowd. What I'm sayin' is they're just crazy. Just crazy, and gettin' worse.

It's going to get crazier before it gets any better. They get enraged, regardless of what we do or don't do. I live in a Jewish household, have a Jewish extended family and attend services at a synagogue regularly. That said, a long-time friend posted "Heil Hitler" on my FB page because I admitted that I voted for Trump.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It's going to get crazier before it gets any better. They get enraged, regardless of what we do or don't do. I live in a Jewish household, have a Jewish extended family and attend services at a synagogue regularly. That said, a long-time friend posted "Heil Hitler" on my FB page because I admitted that I voted for Trump.
    Sad, you can cross him off as a friend.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Moderator
    long-time friend posted "Heil Hitler" on my FB page
    Seriously? That is disgusting. I suggest he's no longer a friend?

You're correct though, it'll get crazier.
    OD*, bmcgilvray, SatCong and 1 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
    Removed your quote as it will be replied to. No need to double it up.
    I wish that a lot of people would understand and take into consideration that CC doesn't always work for some people. Then realize that then see how we are all individuals and now group up every person into what ever group for whatever reason. I OC unless it's winter for clothing reasons.

You have questions and thoughts. Let me answer from my own personal perspective. My perspective does not include anyone else other than me so I don't speak for anyone who OC/CC's other than me.

#1: So I've been really looking into this whole OC thing and have been fascinated watching all the videos on the web showing people having issues with people calling the police and all the other problems that go around OC. I've carried concealed for just over a decade "I'm 39 years old", and I don't see why anyone would want to deal with those issues.
    - I've seen videos like that. I don't recall the post date of them. Some of them go way back.
    -- I've never had police called on me while OC.
    -- I've been OC at starbucks with an officer who was behind me and we had a chat about firearms.
    -- I've been OC at chipotle with 3 officers in line with me and we had chats about firearms.
    --- Even other people witnessing this came up and we all had a nice convo and then went about our way.
    -- I've never been harassed anywhere while I was OC. Nor have I ever been asked to leave any place. I've spoken to business owners who have signs up that don't allow firearms and they have given me permission to carry.
    -- The strangest encounter was when a wallgreens cashier followed me around and helped me get what I was looking for. She said it was an unwritten policy that no firearms were allowed. Still bought my stuff and went on my way. I still OC there and have gotten to know a few employees since then.

Why not just conceal the gun and avoid all the hassles?
    - Again I've never been hassled.
    -- I think the only weird thing was when I was shopping in a sears store and a person saw my firearm and said along the lines of "that boy got a big ass gun, he must be police". I didn't have a convo with that person.
    - It's VERY hard for me to conceal carry. I'm 6'3" at 190. I'm thin. Even my little S&W Shield pushes out and prints so bad that there is no point hiding it. People already know. Even with a IWB you can see how deformed my waist looks and it's not comfortable that way.

I know some people love to look for trouble, and it really seems like if someone open carries when they are able to conceal carry they are just looking to be challenged on their freedoms and carrying for all the wrong reasons.
    - I don't look for trouble. Yes, some do but have you ever met an OC who was out for trouble? Ever? You say they are but have you ever witnessed an OC who was out for trouble?
    - I hope that we all either OC/CC for what we prefer and what is comfortable for us.

I just don't get it. To each their own but especially with something as serious as a firearm I would just rather try to avoid any kind of problems or questions at all costs.
    - You do get it. Which you said. "To each their own." So, I don't care how a person carries as long as they are comfortable. It is not our duty to judge others on how they decide to carry. It is our duty to recognize that we are all, regardless of OC/CC, out to protect ourselves and our families.

As I tend to mention, carry how you want and leave each other alone in their decision to carry. As long as they are safe and responsible it don't matter if they OC/CC. If someone is not comfortable with OC'ing themselves then great! Don't do it and leave those who OC alone about it. It's not your job to understand the life of another who you've not taken the time to get to know in the first place. Same goes to those who don't/can't CC. It's not a competition, it's not a constitutional statement. It is a choice based on comfort for me. I'm more comfortable OC than I am CC. For me, when I OC my situational awareness is at it's peak but I still mind my own affairs. When I CC my situational awareness isn't even half of what it is when I OC.

Carry on, carry how you will and carry safe.
    Rock and Glock and carracer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xwmstormx View Post

As I tend to mention, carry how you want and leave each other alone in their decision to carry. As long as they are safe and responsible it don't matter if they OC/CC. If someone is not comfortable with OC'ing themselves then great! Don't do it and leave those who OC alone about it. It's not your job to understand the life of another who you've not taken the time to get to know in the first place. Same goes to those who don't/can't CC. It's not a competition, it's not a constitutional statement. It is a choice based on comfort for me. I'm more comfortable OC than I am CC. For me, when I OC my situational awareness is at it's peak but I still mind my own affairs. When I CC my situational awareness isn't even half of what it is when I OC.

Carry on, carry how you will and carry safe.
    The above post is fantastic. Well said my friend.

I've had my CCP since August only a couple of people know i have it, I'd never OC because to do so in this present day and age, imo, is asking for needless problems. i feel its better for all concerned that no one knows i have a weapon, that way the element of surprise in a dangerous situation is always in your favor.
    OD* likes this.
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Sometimes I open carry, but I just had an experience that has changed my mind about open carry and I'm not going to do it anymore. I went to a small business today... I was planning to give them $240. No one was there and the door was locked, despite a parking lot with several cars in it... no one answered the phone, so I decided to wait 10 minutes, standing in front of the door. This is just a pest control business, and the property is surrounded with a barbed wire fence. Signs on the door say "no cash on premises" and "no beggers", which is all a little odd, so I guess they've had problems before. They also had a sign showing their business hours, so they should be open and they have customers come in.

After a couple minutes a lady drives up and pulls around the side of the building... she didn't look and see me standing at the front door. She walks around the corner with her hands completely full, talking on the phone, carrying a bank bag of cash between 2 fingers. She finally sees me and gasps, and quite rudely asked " what are you doing here?" I quickly explain I'm there to make a payment, thinking she would chill out. She tells me to leave and call. I already called, and at this point I'm pretty insulted and mad, that she's treating me like some armed robber. Needless to say, I left and called, excerised some free speech, and they did not pass go and collect $240 from me. I will take my business elsewhere.

I'm glad I was not carrying openly, because many people are armed in my town, and I genuinely feel if I was OC and she had a gun she would have drawn on me, starting a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by sqlb3rn View Post
    Sometimes I open carry, but I just had an experience that has changed my mind about open carry and I'm not going to do it anymore. I went to a small business today... I was planning to give them $240. No one was there and the door was locked, despite a parking lot with several cars in it... no one answered the phone, so I decided to wait 10 minutes, standing in front of the door. This is just a pest control business, and the property is surrounded with a barbed wire fence. Signs on the door say "no cash on premises" and "no beggers", which is all a little odd, so I guess they've had problems before. They also had a sign showing their business hours, so they should be open and they have customers come in.

After a couple minutes a lady drives up and pulls around the side of the building... she didn't look and see me standing at the front door. She walks around the corner with her hands completely full, talking on the phone, carrying a bank bag of cash between 2 fingers. She finally sees me and gasps, and quite rudely asked " what are you doing here?" I quickly explain I'm there to make a payment, thinking she would chill out. She tells me to leave and call. I already called, and at this point I'm pretty insulted and mad, that she's treating me like some armed robber. Needless to say, I left and called, excerised some free speech, and they did not pass go and collect $240 from me. I will take my business elsewhere.

I'm glad I was not carrying openly, because many people are armed in my town, and I genuinely feel if I was OC and she had a gun she would have drawn on me, starting a gun fight.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Really?
    No, I'm just kidding about the whole damn thing
    You weren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by sqlb3rn View Post
    No, I'm just kidding about the whole damn thing
    You weren't there.
    Did you get the impression I was challenging your assessment? It's her reaction I was speaking to, not your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
    Why not just conceal the gun and avoid all the hassles? It seems from the tone of OC people that they do it because it's allowed and they want to prove a point rather than to carry a gun discreetly to be able to defend themselves or others around them. They always have all the legal answers for the police when they show up like they've practiced in front of the mirror, and they just seem to almost look for someone to question their freedoms. Is the hassle really worth it? I know some people love to look for trouble, and it really seems like if someone open carries when they are able to conceal carry they are just looking to be challenged on their freedoms and carrying for all the wrong reasons. I just don't get it. To each their own but especially with something as serious as a firearm I would just rather try to avoid any kind of problems or questions at all costs.
    Wow,just wow. Don't OC,I could not give a ****. But don't assume you know why we do. And it's NONE of the above in my case.

Senior Moderator
    Why is it that "OC, don't OC" has to be so fractious?

Why are there so many chips on so many shoulders of gun owners who choose to carry for defensive purposes?

We'll never receive the answers to these burning questions. Not in this thread at least. for it's closed.

"Yes, and how many times must the threads be closed down
    Before OC talk's forever banned?
    The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
    The answer is blowin' in the wind"

With apologies to Bob Dylan
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Sponsored Links