Defensive Carry banner

Compact or not?

4K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  Gabill 
#1 ·
Often the lines are blurred on what makes a pistol qualify as a compact. I have my own view. Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/9WBnjEoHNFY

#35 ·
I suppose the term "Compact" is relative. A Glock 19 is compact in relation to a Glock 17 etc. :scratchchin:
I agree! What's considered a "compact" to one person may not be to another. It may also be according to a person's body height, weight, size and frame that determines what a "compact" is as well.

Reactions: OD*
#5 ·
in comparison to a "dessert eagle" all are compact ;-)

personally I don't really feel any difference with a G19 or 17 ,.. really. I carry a 17 and don't have any issues canceling it even here in Israel where it is a hot climate and walk around with a t-shirt most of the time,. if it prints on the shirt a little I dont mind it that much.

on a side note; if you have a carry permit you can carry it any ay you like,. there is no restriction like in the US,. e.g. only concealed.

cheers,
Daniel

#10 ·
The definitive difference is - A ship is a boat that can CARRY...a smaller boat. :yup:

It once was simply full size & compact. Then sub-compact, mini & micro became part of the handgun lexicon. There are, to my knowledge, no standardized weight or size hints. My standards are MUCH easier to determine - Small enough to effectively conceal. Big enough to effectively shoot.
Cuz', when push comes to shove, only HITS...matter. :image035:

#8 ·
To me a true compact starts at the G26 level. I personally consider a G19 and similar sized pistols to be "service" sized guns, just not quite as service size as a 17. Some thing like a shield or lc9 I would think of as sub compact, the lcp p3at sized guns I call "micro" auto's.

#13 ·
My Bersa thunder .380 is about as compact as i want to get I'm not fond of the idea of a firearm jumping out of my hand in a heated situation; just like to have a firm grip on the situation is all.

Reactions: 9uc
#16 ·
Same here on the BT .380. I've carried the bersa 9UC, but due to the double stack mag configuration and the lack of a finger extention, I find that I'm not as comfortable as comfortable with it as I am with the BT380.

#28 ·
Often the lines are blurred on what makes a pistol qualify as a compact. I have my own view. Let me know what you think.
Would have been nice if you had actually typed in what you think as well as adding the video as an option instead of trying to force people to your youtube video for likes/views/subs whatever to see what you think. I didn't watch the video so no clue how you think but keep on keeping on!

#30 ·
"Compact" in terms of handguns is a rather useless term. As mentioned prior, it seems to be a marketing tool.

Walther introduced the Model PP in 1929. It was considered a full size, holster pistol for police (and military). The PPk was introduced in 1930. It was designed as a concealment pistol for plain clothes police or military (or a private citizen, I suppose). The PPk is just over a half-inch shorter over all and barrel length, weights one to two ounces lighter and slightly thinner and shorter (top to bottom) than the PP. As Jeff Cooper once said, the differences are subtle.

I carry a Colt Commander (LW) as a hideout pistol. I carry it summer and winter. I find the twelve ounce weight difference to make a lot more advantageous than the three-quarters of an inch cut off the barrel and slide. I've tried a couple of 'small' pistols with steel frames. It feels like having a brick in my pocket.

Just for the tally, I prefer not to have some 'entity' dictate the definition of 'compact'. If I want to carry a 'full size' pistol, so what? And the buyer can decide what pistol he or she wants.

#32 ·
Wouldn't the size of the person have something to do with it? Not on the name they are called as far as size, but I know what is a med size gun on me is a sm size gun when DH is wearing it. Some folks have pockets big enough for a snub whereas a snub in a dress pocket on a small size woman would never cut it. Hope this is not too far off topic. I'm wanting a bigger gun (revolver) but finding a way to hide it is not that easy all the time.

#34 ·
Wouldn't the size of the person have something to do with it? Not on the name they are called as far as size, but I know what is a med size gun on me is a sm size gun when DH is wearing it. Some folks have pockets big enough for a snub whereas a snub in a dress pocket on a small size woman would never cut it. Hope this is not too far off topic. I'm wanting a bigger gun (revolver) but finding a way to hide it is not that easy all the time.
No more than one's body size determines the size of clothes because that size doesn't fit them. (If that large size shirt doesn't fit me, it must be medium).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.