The Stupid is Strong on This One

This is a discussion on The Stupid is Strong on This One within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday as I was leaving the community ballpark, I ran into a 22 year old friend of mine. Loveable kind of guy, affable and very ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: The Stupid is Strong on This One

Yesterday as I was leaving the community ballpark, I ran into a 22 year old friend of mine. Loveable kind of guy, affable and very polite. He's aware that I'm a shooter, but has no idea that I CC all day-every day. The first thing I noticed was that he was OCing a Taurus Model 2 in a kydex holster. I asked him about it and he told me that he had bought it the day before...and that it was his very first gun.

Me: "The first one you've ever bought?"
    Him: "Yeah."
    Me: "Congrats. Have you fired it yet?"
    Him: "No. I just wanted to show it off a little."
    Me: "A little odd that you'd risk your life on an untested gun."
    Him: "I'm going to a range tomorrow. I'm SO excited to shoot a gun for the first time!"
    Me: "You mean to shoot this gun for the first time, don't you?"
    Him: "No. I've never shot any gun before. Except for a pellet gun I had when I was a kid. Do you know where I can take a Concealed Carry class?"

I can't quote the remainder of the conversation (I'd get banned from the forum). In short, I gave him the phone number of a LGS that has an excellent instructor for both Basic Pistol and Concealed Carry. I advised him to take the Basic Pistol Course FIRST, practice & learn his pistol inside-and-out, THEN take a Concealed Carry class.
    msgt/ret, sgb, OldVet and 33 others like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Some just don't know what they don't know. Unfortunately, what he doesn't know can get himself or someone else very seriously hurt.

When I got my first gun my friend took me to a farm in a very rural area and we shot 500 rounds. This was after an hour of him showing me how not to accidentally shoot myself or anyone else.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

flh
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm betting this guy is not alone,

I've Been Called A Lot Of Names But Papa Is My Favorite

While I am a big fan of Constitutional carry this is one of my biggest fears.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

So he got the pistol, and he got the holster. Did he get any ammunition?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Before my kids got their first guns I spent time with each in the house with my gun (unloaded of course) teaching them the proper grip, how to 'reset' the trigger, and anything else I could think of. I also taught them no finger near the trigger unless they were on target with the intention of firing. Also told them to NEVER let anyone know they were carrying. Of course significant others would know but not to let anyone else know. Once they got their guns I went over the proper operation of their gun with them then took them to a range. My step-son is now a detective and knows more about guns than I ever did...lol. My son got his first handgun about 2 months ago and got his permit about a month ago. He still hasn't bought a holster and the gun has been locked in the safe since he got it (other than the range). I'm glad he isn't trying to be a cowboy with it but I told him he needs to start getting used to carrying it.
    Chicagobill likes this.

I will try to put this nicely since there are people out there that have different values. Carrying a gun for self defense without ever firing it, is like getting married before you have sex. It may be the biggest mistake in your life. sorry if this is improper.
    CaptSmith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    When I got my first gun my friend took me to a farm in a very rural area and we shot 500 rounds. This was after an hour of him showing me how not to accidentally shoot myself or anyone else.
    I had long gun experience, but I had no handgun experience, and my wife had no gun experience at all. We went to a local range and rented an instructor for an hour. He went over handgun safety in the classroom, then took us out on the range and showed us how to shoot. Just that one hour was worth it. It probably wasn't enough, but it was a good idea to at least do that before I ever purchased my own gun.

VIP Member
    Give the guy credit, at least he knows he needs a gun. Please help him all you can, Da Gunny - for all our sakes.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

Scary and just wrong on many levels....THEY are out there !
    Chicagobill likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While I am a big fan of Constitutional carry this is one of my biggest fears.
    With rights come responsibilities. Being stupid is neither a right, nor a privilege, yet people abuse it anyway.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

VIP Member
    Scary. About all I can say. Hope he took your advice.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I hope he memorizes the Cooper's four rules. Then, I hope he reads the manual over and over again until he knows it inside out and backwards before he ever tries to load the magazine for the first time. I hope he uses snapcaps first to get feel for the trigger. Then, I pray he takes the basic pistol course before he fires the first live round through the gun.

I hope he can find someone to point him in the right direction so he won't create more anti gunners. I hope he doesn't have any ammo.

Maybe he has a friend who can help him.
    BlackhawkGirl and jwilson904 like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links