Open carry Holster Retention question - Page 10

Open carry Holster Retention question

This is a discussion on Open carry Holster Retention question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aaaannndddd we're up to 95.4%...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Open carry Holster Retention question

VIP Member
    Aaaannndddd we're up to 95.4%
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

I am 100% against 99% of everything, me being in that excluded 1%.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    If I'm violating a rule then by all means cite it.
    Probably the most common prelude to a fast exit. A serious challenge to the double-dog dare and "Hey, watch this!"
    OD*, bmcgilvray and QKShooter like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Probably the most common prelude to a fast exit. A serious challenge to the double-dog dare and "Hey, watch this!"
    An internet version of "Hold My Beer" while I do something stupid.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    All of this could have been avoided if you'd all just accepted that he was right and left it at that
    OD*, QKShooter and AzQkr like this.
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Administrator
    It feels good to be right....even when you're wrong.

But, there may be a price to pay for that.

Like right now it's possible to be right out of here for the wrong attitude.
    Tstone, AzQkr and OD* like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Glocktard78 View Post
    For open carry, in my own head I think ya need at the very least a Serpa-type option. It won't stop nobody who knows holsters, but it'll delay em a second. For everybody else out there tryin to grab, it'll prevent a quick rippin out of your gun and runnin off with it. Thumb break will work too, I just think it might be a tad easy to break off with enough force applied.
    Curious about this possibility, I wrapped my rig around a solid beam in my parents' basement and hung by my firearm, supported only by the thumb brake, to the tune of about 230 lbs.

It held, and still flips off with just slight thumb pressure, same as before my test.

Pretty amazing, those uni-directional buttons.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Curious about this possibility, I wrapped my rig around a solid beam in my parents' basement and hung by my firearm, supported only by the thumb brake, to the tune of about 230 lbs.

It held, and still flips off with just slight thumb pressure, same as before my test.

Pretty amazing, those uni-directional buttons.
    Any retention device can be defeated by a determined adversary, ccw or open carry. There is more to being secure from a gun snatch than some holster device. A retention device is great, but the wearer must be an active participant. The first part of being such an active participant is to accept that it can happen to you. I commend your own attempt at proving your device, but absent a human factor it has nothing to do with someone trying to take a gun.
    TX expat and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Any retention device can be defeated by a determined adversary, ccw or open carry. There is more to being secure from a gun snatch than some holster device. A retention device is great, but the wearer must be an active participant. The first part of being such an active participant is to accept that it can happen to you. I commend your own attempt at proving your device, but absent a human factor it has nothing to do with someone trying to take a gun.
    Absolutely a retention holster is only a middle element in the line of defenses involved in retention:
    1. Situational awareness (training and experience)
    2. Passive retention (built into the holster)
    3. Active retention (training and experience)

That's by no means a complete list, either. Other factors include steering clear of high-risk areas when you can and safety in numbers when you can't. Avoidance and mitigation are two of the five areas of Risk Management.

Most people new to OC are weak in all three, unless they listened to the advice of a friend or salesman and bought a good retention holster.

Over time, they'll get better at being situationally aware and what to do in response to what they observe in order to minimize risk.

But only training with someone smart in defensive techniques is going to help them with active retention.

My point by hanging on it was to counter the claim that a button snap style of thumb break can be overcome "if you just pull or tug on it hard enough." If it's a standard button, then yes. But quality thumb breaks are built using uni-direction buttons. They'll easily unsnap if you pull in one direction but are very difficult to unsnap by tugging on the load.
    Last edited by since9; October 8th, 2018 at 08:43 PM.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Sponsored Links