Open carry Holster Retention question - Page 8

Open carry Holster Retention question

This is a discussion on Open carry Holster Retention question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WildRose Out of 330,000,000 people. Hence unless you are associated with gangs and drugs your odds of becoming the victim of a ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Open carry Holster Retention question

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Out of 330,000,000 people.

Hence unless you are associated with gangs and drugs your odds of becoming the victim of a violent crime today are extremely low.

The violent crime rate in the US today is about 40% of what it was at it's peak in the 90's and on par with that of the mid 1960's.
    The 756 per day represents the 20% YOU used that weren't gang or drug related. You may think 756 a day experiencing violent crimes is a pittance, but others do not. Especially if you're one of the 756 THAT day or the other 355 days of the year.
    OD*, Instymp and gasmitty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The 756 per day represents the 20% YOU used that weren't gang or drug related. You may think 756 a day experiencing violent crimes is a pittance, but others do not. Especially if you're one of the 756 THAT day or the other 355 days of the year.
    Which represents 765/330,000,000 people.

That means if you are not associating with those activities and people your odds of being the victim of a violent crime are very small.

Statistics are a great tool for planning and teaching, and do hold some consideration in the real world. I will continue to do my own threat assessment based on my own experiences and training. Statistics may indicate that an incident is very unlikely to happen, unless your that guy or girl who it does happen to.
    AzQkr, OD* and Instymp like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Who besides yourself said anything about "all"? For communication to be meaningful it's helpful to respond to what was actually said rather than what you imagine.
    You just enjoy bantering and debate .... and argument. That's useless. You are going to believe what you believe, and seem to have some agenda to push. I'll have discussions about it, but I won't get into a useless exercise with you to debate it.

I know, who I've pulled my gun on , or shot at .... have you ? And none of them were gang bangers or druggies..... but I sure took their butt to jail for murder. If they shot at me, I shot back. I have been a negotiator when someone had a knife to someone's throat or a gun to their head ..... I have been up and personal with them .... and not one of them was a druggie or gang banger. Some jerk who decided I was going to give him my money or else .... as he put his hand on a knife, and I put my hand on my gun ... and asked him he really wanted to try that. He decided he didn't. Now in Chicago or Wash DC , or Detroit, I would probably agree the majority are due to druggies and gang bangers, but not that ALL of their victims are.

Robberies, hijackings , etc. ..... with someone sticking a gun in people's faces, and about everywhere imaginable ...... some killed or shot by CC holders..... and you in here spouting what low risk it is. The mass shooters weren't druggies and gang bangers. The folks running people over with cars, weren't druggies and gang bangers.... or were the people they killed. Were those people in the Church all druggies and gang bangers ?

I'm not getting into endless and meaningless debates with people like you . You charge on.... I 'm not. Period.
    I know the stats, etc. that I've looked at in Govt sources and the FBI, as well as unbiased studies, etc. I know how they can also be used in a biased manner when someone wants to try to make some point, or feed some agenda.

You have fun with that and debating people on how safe it is out there , in the meantime, my opinion is you are full of it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You just enjoy bantering and debate .... and argument. That's useless. You are going to believe what you believe, and seem to have some agenda to push. I'll have discussions about it, but I won't get into a useless exercise with you to debate it.

I know, who I've pulled my gun on , or shot at .... have you ? And none of them were gang bangers or druggies..... but I sure took their butt to jail for murder. If they shot at me, I shot back. I have been a negotiator when someone had a knife to someone's throat or a gun to their head ..... I have been up and personal with them .... and not one of them was a druggie or gang banger. Some jerk who decided I was going to give him my money or else .... as he put his hand on a knife, and I put my hand on my gun ... and asked him he really wanted to try that. He decided he didn't. Now in Chicago or Wash DC , or Detroit, I would probably agree the majority are due to druggies and gang bangers, but not that ALL of their victims are.

Robberies, hijackings , etc. ..... with someone sticking a gun in people's faces, and about everywhere imaginable ...... some killed or shot by CC holders..... and you in here spouting what low risk it is. The mass shooters weren't druggies and gang bangers. The folks running people over with cars, weren't druggies and gang bangers.... or were the people they killed. Were those people in the Church all druggies and gang bangers ?

I'm not getting into endless and meaningless debates with people like you . You charge on.... I 'm not. Period.
    I know the stats, etc. that I've looked at in Govt sources and the FBI, as well as unbiased studies, etc. I know how they can also be used in a biased manner when someone wants to try to make some point, or feed some agenda.

You have fun with that and debating people on how safe it is out there , in the meantime, my opinion is you are full of it.
    The statistics simply are what they are, there is no agenda behind presenting them.

If I have an agenda at all it is in providing people with accurate information.

In 2016 there were approximately 1.25 million violent crimes committed in the US.

.20x1.25 million= 250,000 such violent crimes not associated with gangs and drugs.

That give us 250,000/330,000,000 or a 1:330,000 chance of being the victim of a violent crime in the US for an average person not associated with those people and activities.

I see no problem with relaying accurate information to the public and have to question why you find it so offensive to do so?

250,000/330,000,000 = 25/33,000 or 680+ people experiencing violent crime not gang or drug related on a daily basis.

What I'm looking for is the statistic that 80% is gang or drug related is taken from. A gov report or a WAG
    msgt/ret and OD* like this.

250,000/330,000,000 = 25/33,000
    divide both the numerator and denominator by 250k. You are left with 1/1,332

divide both the numerator and denominator by 250k. You are left with 1/1,332
    Remove 4 zero's, it's 25/33,000 Pretty simple math. The numbers stay basically the same, there are 1320 25's in 33,000. And that still leaves 680+ people who are not connected with gangs or drugs that experience violent crime daily in the US.
    msgt/ret, RETSUPT99 and Instymp like this.

Remove 4 zero's, it's 25/33,000 Pretty simple math. The numbers stay basically the same, there are 1320 25's in 33,000. And that still leaves 680+ people who are not connected with gangs or drugs that experience violent crime daily in the US.
    Out of 330,000,000 people which makes it a statistical rarity.

I'm not sure what your obsession here is but the fact remains violent crime is at it's lowest in the US since the early sixties and unless you are involved with gangs and or drugs the odds of becoming a victim of same is very small, roughly 1/1332.

Out of 330,000,000 people which makes it a statistical rarity.

I'm not sure what your obsession here is but the fact remains violent crime is at it's lowest in the US since the early sixties and unless you are involved with gangs and or drugs the odds of becoming a victim of same is very small, roughly 1/1332.
    Statistically insignificant but a LOT of people every day nonetheless/
    RETSUPT99 and OD* like this.

Statistically insignificant but a LOT of people every day nonetheless/
    No, it's not a lot, not when you consider the total population is over 330 million.

There's no valid reason for attempting to make the problem seem larger than it is other than to instill an unnecessary sense of paranoia in people.

As a country we're safer today than we have been in fifty years, that's simply a fact.

No, it's not a lot, not when you consider the total population is over 330 million.

There's no valid reason for attempting to make the problem seem larger than it is other than to instill an unnecessary sense of paranoia in people.

As a country we're safer today than we have been in fifty years, that's simply a fact.
    Safer doesn't translate to safe.
    RETSUPT99, OD* and Secret Spuk like this.

Senior Moderator
    There are some things that are very low risk, but the price of being wrong is extraordinarily high.

Living is one of those generally, from an actuarial standpoint.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Safer doesn't translate to safe.
    I don't remember stating that life in the US is risk free today or that none of us will ever be the victim of a crime. Can you link to any such posts?

I'm simply presenting the risks honestly. There is no reason to scare people into believing things are worse than they are and I greatly credit the expansion of lawful carry and user friendly self defense statutes spreading across the country during the same period in which the violent crime rate has fallen so precipitously. Jail house interviews with offenders show that the mere knowledge a potential target may be armed is a strong deterrent.

There is however no good reason to exaggerate the risk nor is there to put ourselves unnecessarily at greater risk by putting ourselves into high risk situations that can be avoided.

Being armed doesn't make us bullet proof, it simply gives us the means to defend ourselves and others in the event things go bad.

Lawfully carrying is essentially insurance and having insurance is no excuse to put your life or the lives of others at risk unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    There are some things that are very low risk, but the price of being wrong is extraordinarily high.

Living is one of those generally, from an actuarial standpoint.
    Quite true, so why unnecessarily put ourselves at risk?

Don't go looking for trouble and you probably won't find it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links