Open carry Holster Retention question - Page 9

Open carry Holster Retention question

This is a discussion on Open carry Holster Retention question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only OC when hiking. My holster has a thumb strap. I would never use a Sepra style retention holster because it is susceptible to ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Open carry Holster Retention question

Distinguished Member
    I only OC when hiking. My holster has a thumb strap. I would never use a Sepra style retention holster because it is susceptible to malfunction that would prevent releaseing the retention device. I am not taking that that chance ever. The thumb strap is a well proven retention device, and I’d almost failproof.

As for a person coming up from be hind to strip my pistold from its holster I don’t spend anytime worrying about as it is very improbable. An very important part of my situations awaremess is knowing who is behind you and keeping your hearing tuned in. Whe hiking if I hear beople behind me I turn my head and look them over. If they look a bit unsavory I stop and let them pass. I also method of defending against a gun snatch.

When I OC there is no justifiable reason for anyone to touch my holstered gun. If someone does I have a duty to stop them and keep control of my gun. If a person makes a grap for the gun they will be slowed by the thumbstrap. My response would be to get hold of their thumb and force it backward until I hear the crack of the joint. That person is not going to be able to get my gun after that. If you play they scenario out in your mind you can see just how vulnerable the offender’s thumb would be.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    I don't remember stating that life in the US is risk free today or that none of us will ever be the victim of a crime. Can you link to any such posts?

I'm simply presenting the risks honestly. There is no reason to scare people into believing things are worse than they are and I greatly credit the expansion of lawful carry and user friendly self defense statutes spreading across the country during the same period in which the violent crime rate has fallen so precipitously. Jail house interviews with offenders show that the mere knowledge a potential target may be armed is a strong deterrent.

There is however no good reason to exaggerate the risk nor is there to put ourselves unnecessarily at greater risk by putting ourselves into high risk situations that can be avoided.

Being armed doesn't make us bullet proof, it simply gives us the means to defend ourselves and others in the event things go bad.

Lawfully carrying is essentially insurance and having insurance is no excuse to put your life or the lives of others at risk unnecessarily.
    As have I, there's nothing deceitful in actual numbers being reported. It's not statistically insignificant to the 680+ people who are victims of violent crimes every day in this country who are not affiliated with gangs or drugs.
    OD* and Secret Spuk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    As have I, there's nothing deceitful in actual numbers being reported. It's not statistically insignificant to the 680+ people who are victims of violent crimes every day in this country who are not affiliated with gangs or drugs.
    Yes it is when that 680 represents 680/330,000,000 people or 1 out of over 485,000 people in this country.

Your odds of dying of a heart attack while riding a bicycle are higher.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    The odds of dying from Moderator irritation might be higher.

Significantly.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

Significantly.
    Point-shooting is easily the topic which has gotten me in the hottest water with the moderators, but it probably wouldn't take me long to get jammed up if I posted regularly on these Open Carry threads. Do you guys there in the Master Controls Center keep statistics on which topics generate the most ex-members?
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Point-shooting is easily the topic which has gotten me in the hottest water with the moderators, but it probably wouldn't take me long to get jammed up if I posted regularly on these Open Carry threads. Do you guys there in the Master Controls Center keep statistics on which topics generate the most ex-members?
    My own research indicates that 93.6% of ex-members participated in 88.3% of similar topics that lead to a maggie in at least 68.2% of the time. These topics would include open carry (94.7%), the unimaginable hazards of appendix carry (91.8%), how firearms laws actually benefit the firearm community (88.9%), how X method of training is far superior to Y method (82.5%), the necessity of Glock safeties for worry-free carry (64.9%) and any thread that involves statistics once Tangle gets involved (41.7%).

The margin for error is approximately 0.000573% which is coincidentally the same amount of time, in fractions of a second, that it takes the average person to bleed out from a hit to the femoral artery.
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Senior Moderator
    Do you guys there in the Master Controls Center keep statistics on which topics generate the most ex-members?

and any thread that involves statistics once Tangle gets involved (41.7%)

I believe you both won the internet today.
    TX expat, OD*, AzQkr and 6 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    My own research indicates that 93.6% of ex-members participated in 88.3% of similar topics that lead to a maggie in at least 68.2% of the time. These topics would include open carry (94.7%), the unimaginable hazards of appendix carry (91.8%), how firearms laws actually benefit the firearm community (88.9%), how X method of training is far superior to Y method (82.5%), the necessity of Glock safeties for worry-free carry (64.9%) and any thread that involves statistics once Tangle gets involved (41.7%).

The margin for error is approximately 0.000573% which is coincidentally the same amount of time, in fractions of a second, that it takes the average person to bleed out from a hit to the femoral artery.
    I'm definitely seeing a pattern there. Thanks for posting the definitive numbers.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

A study published in 2013 by the Violence Policy Center, using five years of nationwide statistics (2007-2011) compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation found that defensive gun uses occur an average of 67,740 times per year.

Criminologist and researcher Gary Kleck, using his own commissioned phone surveys and number extrapolation, estimates that Americans use guns for defensive purposes 1.2 million times each year –

3200+ people a day used a gun defensively in the US from 07-11. If crime has gone down even 20% since 2011, that would still leave 2560 people a day using a gun defensively.

It's estimated that 31% of households in the US have at least one gun/gun owner. If the other 2/3's experience the same rate of crimes against them that would entail drawing a gun defensively if they had one, would the numbers be something like 10K people a day have violence perpetrated against them but only 1/3 have a gun to defend themselves with?

If one uses a gun defensively, would that be considered a violent crime perpetrated against them, or at least an attempted violent crime against them?
    OD* and bmcgilvray like this.

Significantly.

A study published in 2013 by the Violence Policy Center, using five years of nationwide statistics (2007-2011) compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation found that defensive gun uses occur an average of 67,740 times per year.

Criminologist and researcher Gary Kleck, using his own commissioned phone surveys and number extrapolation, estimates that Americans use guns for defensive purposes 1.2 million times each year –

3200+ people a day used a gun defensively in the US from 07-11. If crime has gone down even 20% since 2011, that would still leave 2560 people a day using a gun defensively.

It's estimated that 31% of households in the US have at least one gun/gun owner. If the other 2/3's experience the same rate of crimes against them that would entail drawing a gun defensively if they had one, would the numbers be something like 10K people a day have violence perpetrated against them but only 1/3 have a gun to defend themselves with?

If one uses a gun defensively, would that be considered a violent crime perpetrated against them, or at least an attempted violent crime against them?
    The VPC only counted cases in which the gun was actually fired in an attempt to falsely keep the numbers low in order to make it seem as though the argument for self defense was vastly overshadowed by criminal gun use.

The CDC's own numbers which they buried for twenty years show 2 million DGU's annually.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...sive-gun-uses/

As for the other published studies.

There are approximately two million defensive gun uses (DGU's) per year by law abiding citizens. That was one of the findings in a national survey conducted by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist in 1993. Prior to Dr. Kleck's survey, thirteen other surveys indicated a range of between 800,000 to 2.5 million DGU's annually. However these surveys each had their flaws which prompted Dr. Kleck to conduct his own study specifically tailored to estimate the number of DGU's annually.

Subsequent to Kleck's study, the Department of Justice sponsored a survey in 1994 titled, Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms (text, PDF). Using a smaller sample size than Kleck's, this survey estimated 1.5 million DGU's annually.

There is one study, the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which in 1993, estimated 108,000 DGU's annually. Why the huge discrepancy between this survey and fourteen others?
    GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense?

Significantly.
    If I'm violating a rule then by all means cite it.

Criminologist and researcher Gary Kleck, using his own commissioned phone surveys and number extrapolation, estimates that Americans use guns for defensive purposes 1.2 million times each year —

The latest numbers have 44% of households with at least one firearm in them. If a crime is deterred by a DGU then there is no crime to report.

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendm...ow-have-a-gun/

Most DGU's are never reported to police.

Both Lott and Kleck confirmed this using different methodologies by which they each found that over 30% of inmates had been deterred at least once by simply knowing a target was armed without them ever even drawing the firearm and of those more than 70% confirmed they knew other criminals deterred in the same way.

https://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/...o/493636.html/

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...esponse-115082

https://scholarlycommons.law.northwe...3&context=jclc

Study : Guns Stop Crime 2.5 Million Times Each Year | Think About Now

https://ariarmstrong.com/2015/12/gar...-gun-research/

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    If I'm violating a rule then by all means cite it.
    O'tay Spanky;

While these rules cover most common situations, we cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way. Posts that are contrary to the above policies or to the mission of DefensiveCarry.com, or violate our community standards may be edited or deleted at our sole discretion. We're a private venture enabled by an all-volunteer staff and forum Administrators and/or Moderators shall make the final decision on what does/does not violate community standards.
    Good bye.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links