Why I don't open carry.... - Page 10

Why I don't open carry....

This is a discussion on Why I don't open carry.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: Why I don't open carry....

Name:  Lick.gif
Views: 199
Size:  585.2 KB
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Better?
    I mentioned this before! That is ONE UGLY DOG!
    lionround, Mike1956 and OD* like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    See, this is something we just don't need to deal with. Somebody screams "GUN!", the whole restaurant turns into a panicked mob, and by the time the dust settles your cheeseburger is cold.

I don't open carry because I don't like cold cheeseburgers.
    BUT, you could then eat your cheeseburger warm, and in a quiet place cause all the loonies have run off and left you their fries. 😀
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Why is it that people with dogs in their avatars are always stirring the hornet's nest? I have a dog but don't have his picture in my avatar. That might be why I am always so civil and quiet in these discussions.
    You're prejudiced against dogs, that's obvious. Just look at YOUR avatar, it's a CAT.
    lionround, Havok, Sister and 1 others like this.

My avatar is a Lion, not a cat. You would not walk up to it and go, "Here Kitty Kitty". Or at least I would hope you didn't

It just so happens that I have a dog and no cats. He is a Yorkie who thinks he is the Captain of this ship, therefore Captain Jack, otherwise know as Cappie.
    OD*, Sister and Michael48632 like this.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    My avatar is a Lion, not a cat. You would not walk up to it and go, "Here Kitty Kitty". Or at least I would hope you didn't

It just so happens that I have a dog and no cats. He is a Yorkie who thinks he is the Captain of this ship, therefore Captain Jack, otherwise know as Cappie.
    Don't look now, but a lion is a feline, thus a cat.
    SatCong, OD*, wizard7mm08 and 4 others like this.

Why someone does or does not open carry is their own business and maybe their own issues. If you are going to wander around with piss poor situational awareness carrying in a crappy holster and your pistol gets taken you have no one but yourself to blame. If you open carry in a quality retention holster and have decent situational awareness and retention training I have no problem with it. In fact I frequently do so myself.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Why someone does or does not open carry is their own business and maybe their own issues. If you are going to wander around with piss poor situational awareness carrying in a crappy holster and your pistol gets taken you have no one but yourself to blame. If you open carry in a quality retention holster and have decent situational awareness and retention training I have no problem with it. In fact I frequently do so myself.
    They worked really hard to get this tread off topic and you had to go and bring it right back
    OD*, lionround, Sister and 2 others like this.
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

I am not a proponent of Open Carry for all the reasons I have mentioned many times over. That said, I have OC'd and I have also ridden a motorcycle without a helmet. I didn't have a problem either time but I wont ignore the fact that both activities can foster its own unique set of "issues" in the face of danger no matter how much you try to pay attention.

Paying attention is certainly a good thing and paying attention has certainly alerted people to bad happenings that they would have otherwise not seen coming. Still, I believe that most people and especially untrained people have a unrealistic expectation of what a singular person is actually capable of assessing about the active public space around them.

I think that I pay closer attention to my surroundings than the majority of the walking around public but at the same time, I accept that circumstances can change and unfold at a moments notice. I also accept that I cannot possibly see everything, everyone in all directions at all times. Most people are limited to line of sight, 180 degrees with intermittent 360 within a rather short distance. Those observations can be supplemented by what they hear, what they smell as well as plain old gut instinct and general knowledge but the observations of one person can be rather fleeting and shallow.

Paying attention is important no matter if you OC or not but I wouldn't expect a good attitude and effort regarding awareness to always overcome what some may consider to be poor tactics.
    Last edited by Fizban; October 3rd, 2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    They worked really hard to get this tread off topic and you had to go and bring it right back
    ...well, looks like a cat to me too.

TX expat, AzQkr and ugh762x39 like this.
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

I had to open carry one night as I walked home from Downtown Detroit to St.Clair Shores I walked down Jefferson at 11p.m. I had one tactical unit stop and ask if I needed help and I said no my battery went dead and they offered me a jump but I was almost to the city limits . I had a motorcycle club yelling things at me but no one bothered me all the way , After that night I got road service on my car policy lol .
    dmitchsr and ugh762x39 like this.

I have and I'd venture no one else has any stats on what open carry does for one's safety. My imaginitus tells me that in a state like Alabama (where I live) open carrying at best elicits a yawn as long as the person carrying doesn't look like a dirtbag. It's the dirtbag with a hidden pistol I worry most about.

That being said, I go back to the following for *every* self defense carry analysis: what's going to give me the best edge in the event something unexpected happens? There are many possible scenarios, and then there are some that are much more likely to happen. I go with those that are much more likely to happen. Like being accosted in a parking lot at night (happened to me...), or being arbitrarily chased down and knocked down by 3 assailants (also happened to me), or (stupidly) opening the door to my apartment only to have this guy who I swear was a foot taller than me push me in and drunkedly tell me I "stoled" the apartment from his family (I didn't).

In rerunning these scenarios (I have a million times), having a concealed weapon is my choice because it gives me options, while open carry in these scenarios would not have provided any dissuasive benefit IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.

I do support their right to open carry.
    Fizban likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    No.
    I see...

I see your qualified opinion. Pray tell how you disagree with each of my comments and why.

Blanket "no" responses, however, are about as unqualified an answer as they come.
    Governor Northam: YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED.

To tell ya the truth, these discussions on which caliber or carry preference is better, is like the Dem's and gun control. You can carry, but only if it's this caliber or carried this way. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, do not tear someone else down for the pistol the carry or the way they carry. Some here are no better than the politicians in DC, it's either their way or it's wrong. While there are some good posts here that discuss these things, most are negative and bashing. The collective here, is firearms and the right to own them. Either that be a Taurus or Colt; .45 or 9mm; CC or OC.

Just my .02, have a Blessed day.

Please allow me to chime in here. Hopefully I will make it with few keyboard lashings, but go along with me for a moment: I grew up in the city of Detroit, not one the burbs, but the city (proper). I didn't know anything about gun laws, nor was I interested. What I did know is a lot of the wrong people had them, and those who didn't often made "zip-guns," or something commensurate to inflict grievous bodily injury. Groups of miscreants were never in short supply. There could always be found, those who would pick on someone or test a persons response or resolve to defend themselves or acquiesce to the assertions being imposed. There was always someone wanting to prove something, anything, by any means, and for little or no reason at all! I learned, there's nothing more dangerous than "a wannabe." The graveyards and prisons will testify to this truth. It was the wild-west situated in a major mid-western urban city context. This is the background which sought to inform my childhood behavior. My saving grace (so-to-speak) was military service and training which allowed for the development of skill-sets and the honing of other skills necessary to navigate varying situations and survive; to retrograde, reassess and if necessary, redeploy. Our government has invested a lot of capital to ensure that I was more than adequately prepared for rapidly changing conditions with predictive outcomes. Many of you upon this forum have undoubtedly shared some of the same experiences or exposures and can speak at length on similar matters appertaining. I know I'm not by myself here.

But now...post military service, that boyhood context still haunts and eerily lurks. Though that time has past, now...not much has changed overall.

I support Concealed Carry. I do so everyday. But I'm cognizant of my social context, which governs how I prepare and negotiate that sphere of influence.

I support Open Carry. Though very rarely do I engage, my concern is not over the person that carries openly. It is for the innocent person that may potentially fall victim because of the whims of miscreants that may take advantage of a situation because of the person openly carrying. For those who live in states where OC is legal, I'm glad. It means that you are able to exercise wisdom while doing so. Not everyone have the temperament, even though they may have the right. Perhaps it sounds juvenile, but then...that's my cross to bear. I believe there is a temperament and an ethos that should be in application.
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsored Links