Great Open Carry Article From Cheaper Than Dirt - Page 2

Great Open Carry Article From Cheaper Than Dirt

This is a discussion on Great Open Carry Article From Cheaper Than Dirt within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Wavygravy I live in a fairly liberal enclave in a fairly red state, where open carry is legal but extremely rarely seen. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Great Open Carry Article From Cheaper Than Dirt

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I live in a fairly liberal enclave in a fairly red state, where open carry is legal but extremely rarely seen. I do not feel the need or desire to attract attention by open carrying -- negative or positive.
    We both reside in the same state but I reside in a rural conservative county. People recognize me, thus I'm referred to as "the man whom walks a lot" even thou they don't actually know my name. I really don't want to be known as "the man whom walks a lot with a weapon". While open carry is legal, its not my preference, but I'll defend the right of open carry for individuals whom choose that option.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I met an interesting guy in my Krav Maga class. He is in his 60's, a professor specializing in military history. He is an authority on black powder weapons and he tactics that were used in that era. We were practicing some KM knife defense moves that always wound up with the defender disarming the attacker and then stabbing or slashing the attacker, which I can see might be called for in some situations, but also seemed like it would usually be unnecessary once you have the weapon, and possibly even illegal.

So we are practicing all these potentially grisly moves and we start talking about carrying guns. To my surprise, he's not for that. He said when he and his wife are in a store and see someone OC'ing, they will leave the store. I said, "Don't you think if they guy had bad intent, he wouldn't be carrying openly?" He said, "I guess so, but you never know."

I thought it was a bizarre contrast of ideas from a seemingly smart person.
    Hoplophobia at it's finest.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

In these days of extreme political/cultural division approaching hatred by some on either "side" and the apparent lack of ability to reach common ground and/or any sort of unity, I have no reason to inflame or exacerbate the situation further by open carrying. I open carry sometimes in the woods when fishing. Seeing someone else open carrying in towns doesn't bother me, but it sure does alarm some others. I like to get along with everyone if possible. That said, I am carrying a weapon for self protection. YMMV.
    dennis40x likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It is human nature to become desensitized to things seen daily. When people see guns daily (Arizona?) then seeing guns becomes no big deal. But if seeing a gun is a rare occurrence then it is seen as unusual, scary, and the person doing it must be up to no good and should be feared.

What is commonly seen becomes common to see. But the only way to make something commonly seen is to have it where it can be seen.
    AzQkr, Mike1956 and DustyRivers like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    It is human nature to become desensitized to things seen daily. When people see guns daily (Arizona?) then seeing guns becomes no big deal. But if seeing a gun is a rare occurrence then it is seen as unusual, scary, and the person doing it must be up to no good and should be feared.

What is commonly seen becomes common to see. But the only way to make something commonly seen is to have it where it can be seen.
    Behavior while open carrying also matters, imo, like the article mentioned. Example -- I've only seen two people open carrying here in the past year (maybe more). One guy was in a variety store, dressed in a nice cowboy type hat, jeans, and going about his business. The other was a guy in a fast food restaurant who was loudly talking to a friend (making sure everyone else heard him) about his right to carry, President Trump, and how "d#mn liberals weren't gonna take his guns."
    You tell me which one made a better impression on others.
    Mike1956, Bikenut and Snub44 like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Behavior while open carrying also matters, imo, like the article mentioned. Example -- I've only seen two people open carrying here in the past year (maybe more). One guy was in a variety store, dressed in a nice cowboy type hat, jeans, and going about his business. The other was a guy in a fast food restaurant who was loudly talking to a friend (making sure everyone else heard him) about his right to carry, President Trump, and how "d#mn liberals weren't gonna take his guns."
    While the well mannered and well dressed person made a very good impression and the other fellow may have been a bit abrasive both drew attention to carrying guns is legal. Perhaps, if enough folks were to open carry other people's opinions would focus on the unacceptability of jackassery behavior instead of the gun itself unacceptable.

But if people do not carry in the open then open carry will not be accepted as normal. And as long as guns remain hidden they will not be accepted as normal. For example, I've been open carrying for so long in the regular places I frequent that my presence is not only accepted but is welcomed because folks who work/own them have gotten used to seeing me with a gun. I have no doubt the next person who walks in open carrying a gun won't cause any panic anymore than I do.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Sponsor
    Each state will exhibit different reactions from the citizenry. Here in Az, open carry has been in place since the late 1800's. There were town like Tombstone that prohibited open carrying but the state allowed open carry.

It's not all that common to see people open carrying in an urban environment, but then leo's know open carry is allowed and has been for so long, they barely give notice, if at all, if you're open carrying in public.
    Bikenut likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I choose not to open carry...but I was raised in an open carry state, and, both as a citizen and as a cop my opinion is that I have no problem with a man wearing a gun. I DO have a problem, however, with a gun wearing a man, and watch that type closely, and, when in official capacity, was much more likely to interact with the second type. Cops and old men get where they can smell trouble, and usually judge a carrier rightly. Haven't seen but a couple openly carrying in TX where I live...ain't no thang...
    AzQkr and Wavygravy like this.

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    If it is legal where you are and common practice....I say knock yourself out.
    If it is legal where you are but not common practice... Then it is up to each person to decide
    how valuable their time is when law enforcement is called on you by the uneducated.
    Without getting into the whole debate about how long it should take a officer to check you out....That can be one downside
    to open carry where it is legal but not very common.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    I choose not to open carry...but I was raised in an open carry state, and, both as a citizen and as a cop my opinion is that I have no problem with a man wearing a gun. I DO have a problem, however, with a gun wearing a man, and watch that type closely, and, when in official capacity, was much more likely to interact with the second type. Cops and old men get where they can smell trouble, and usually judge a carrier rightly. Haven't seen but a couple openly carrying in TX where I live...ain't no thang...
    Agree. BTW -- If anyone was wondering, I did NOT make up the example of the two open carries for sake of the discussion. That was here in my town.
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links