Taking my dog places lead to a change in opinion on people that open carry

This is a discussion on Taking my dog places lead to a change in opinion on people that open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On another forum someone said that people who take their dog places like Lowe's, Tractor Supply ect... are attention seeking. I take my dog places, ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Taking my dog places lead to a change in opinion on people that open carry

On another forum someone said that people who take their dog places like Lowe's, Tractor Supply ect... are attention seeking.
    I take my dog places, but I don't do it for attention; that inaccurate perception cause me to rethink my opinion those that open carry.

I'm 52, I never took my dog to Lowe's, Tractor Supply, or rode it around in the car everywhere till last year; I retired and could finally have a dog that didn't sleep all the time. A Bulldog is great for if you are gone to work all day cause a Bulldog is content sleeping. I/we got a German Shepherd, definitely not a breed content to sleep all day (what I wanted). At first, I crated him at night and when I was running errands, I know better than leave a pup loose & unsupervised in the house. At 5 months old the GSD didn't want to go into his crate one night, ran to front door, ran upstairs, acted weird. The Bulldog sleeps in our bedroom and the GSD was trying to say (with the weird behavior) that he wanted to as well. I slept very little that night anticipating sounds of destruction but he was fine. Starting from then, I didn't crate him when I mowed the yard, shoot (woods is my backyard), nor when taking/picking up kids from school; the GSD started riding everywhere with me at that point. I'm not comfortable to go "to town" and leave him free in the house alone just yet, he is 1 year old - today. When it was cold outside I left him in the car for short trips into the store, he slept, no problem. If it's warmer I either use Wal-Mart pick-up (very convenient), or take him into a pet friendly store like Lowe's or Tractor Supply. Another option is run errands when someone is home with him. There is why I take the dog with me, I don't want to have to lock him up and I like having him along.
    Yes, I get attention if I take him in Lowes/Tractor Supply, but I'm not doing it for attention.

The misconception that people taking thier dogs out places are doing it for attention caused me to rethink a misconception of my own.
    I always considered open carry as attention seeking, attention may not be why someone open carries, but they will get noticed more than if the gun was concealed. I thought why can't they just carry concealed.
    Somewhat like what some people probably think about me ... why can't he just leave that dog at home.

Loki helps me rethink stuff, sometimes (not very often) I'm wrong.

Taking my dog places lead to a change in opinion on people that open carry-store.jpg
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    I never wanted to be bothered taking my dog places; I was always there because I needed something, not to socialize. Retired now, I took my Dachshund Chihuahua to Lowes on day because I had made the mistake of using the word "go" in her presence. She enjoyed it so much that I started taking her whenever I have time and opportunity. It isn't for attention, though it garners plenty, it is for her. I could never deprive her of the joy she shows when she "goes with Dad".
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

You have to understand that the dog is a pack animal whose natural desire is to be with its pack and supporting his leader.
    Wherever the leader goes, that's where they belong. A well-trained dog can go many places with you and will live a richer, more satisfying life.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    On another forum someone said that people who take their dog places like Lowe's, Tractor Supply ect... are attention seeking.
    I take my dog places, but I don't do it for attention; that inaccurate perception cause me to rethink my opinion those that open carry.

The misconception that people taking thier dogs out places are doing it for attention caused me to rethink a misconception of my own.
    I always considered open carry as attention seeking, attention may not be why someone open carries, but they will get noticed more than if the gun was concealed. I thought why can't they just carry concealed.
    Somewhat like what some people probably think about me ... why can't he just leave that dog at home.

While I personally choose to conceal carry, I've never assumed that people that open carry are attention seekers. Nor, have I ever wondered why they just don't conceal their pieces like me. To be honest, I really don't care what someone else does cause it has no bearing on what I do or my choices in what I carry or my mode of carrying. I just do my own thing and let others do theirs.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Menards used to allow dogs....At least they did the day they asked me to leave because my Rott who was obedience trained and riding in a cart mind you...
    Was apparently making some patrons nervous.....Everyone elses dogs were so darn cute as they peed on the floor and barked at one another....But not a peep out of
    my dog though.....I didn't have to say one word....My wife took over after that and we hit the road....Money in our pocket.

I got a doberman for many of the same reasons. I wanted a dog that would keep me active. I take her everywhere I possibly can, but it's not for attention, its because I don't want her locked up all the time, and she loves going to ride and basically getting out.

I'm in Florida and we can't open carry, but I would if we were allowed.
    Pete63, CDW4ME, BBMike and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    We take our dog places occasionally because she enjoys it. But it's places like drive-throughs. She is not dog-friendly and becomes aggressive if someone is holding another animal. (Aggressive to the animal, not the human).
    I am also open carrying more often as it can be a PITA removing the OC and donning the CC for a short errand.
    Being rural AZ, OC is a non-issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    CDW4ME likes this.

Dogs love to go with. As Hoganbeg said, they are all about you and are happiest when with the boss.

I am not against open carry and never considered that some may do it for attention. Personally, it’s not something I would do.
    I don’t want any dirtbag to look at me and figure they could take from me.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post

I'm 52, I never took my dog to Lowe's, Tractor Supply, or rode it around in the car everywhere till last year; I retired and could finally have a dog that didn't sleep all the time. A Bulldog is great for if you are gone to work all day cause a Bulldog is content sleeping. I/we got a German Shepherd, definitely not a breed content to sleep all day (what I wanted). At first, I crated him at night and when I was running errands, I know better than leave a pup loose & unsupervised in the house. At 5 months old the GSD didn't want to go into his crate one night, ran to front door, ran upstairs, acted weird. The Bulldog sleeps in our bedroom and the GSD was trying to say (with the weird behavior) that he wanted to as well. I slept very little that night anticipating sounds of destruction but he was fine. Starting from then, I didn't crate him when I mowed the yard, shoot (woods is my backyard), nor when taking/picking up kids from school; the GSD started riding everywhere with me at that point. I'm not comfortable to go "to town" and leave him free in the house alone just yet, he is 1 year old - today. When it was cold outside I left him in the car for short trips into the store, he slept, no problem. If it's warmer I either use Wal-Mart pick-up (very convenient), or take him into a pet friendly store like Lowe's or Tractor Supply. Another option is run errands when someone is home with him. There is why I take the dog with me, I don't want to have to lock him up and I like having him along.
    Yes, I get attention if I take him in Lowes/Tractor Supply, but I'm not doing it for attention.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	store.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	293408
    Nice post.....I really enjoy hearing about your progress with Loki. And, he is a particularly nice looking young pup!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy."

Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

I bet your fellow Lowes shoppers give you a pretty wide berth. That is a nice looking dog
    CDW4ME and Rock and Glock like this.
    It's not waterboarding if you use JP-8

Unless it is a certified/trained service dog, leave your pups at home. Take them on walks, to the park all that is great. But dogs who are just pets don't need to go to the grocery store, hardware store etc.

My mother trains service dogs for things like PTSD, Diabetes etc. There are enough issues with the general public dealing with dogs out and about.

I really can't stand people who think their dog needs to go to the concert in the park or other such activities. I'm sure little Biscuit really enjoys that jazz.
    dennis40x likes this.

I take my dog to the grocery store, etc. She likes to stay in the car.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Old dog can't handle much of a walk in the NC summer heat. I find that he gets to be too much of a homebody in the summer. Lowes, Tractor Supply and Agri-Supply are the only day time social activity he gets through July and August. As a bonus, Agri-supply is famous for leaving their customers alone (Usually, I appreciate this), but sometimes I do need assistance. Bringing the old man with me gets me almost instant service.

jmm
    CWOUSCG and ButtShot14 like this.

Thank you CDW4ME! Your description of your situation with your GSD may help my daughter with her GSD. Just yesterday she was telling me that her 6 month old German Shepard started barking in his crate at bed time, something he has not before. My daughter also has cats that spend most the day hiding from the dog. My daughter, feeling guilty about this, lets the cats sleep in her room. Perhaps the cats are like your bulldog and her Shepard is acting out just as yours did? Anyways, thanks for sharing as I am passing along your experience to my daughter for consideration.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Unless it is a certified/trained service dog, leave your pups at home. Take them on walks, to the park all that is great. But dogs who are just pets don't need to go to the grocery store, hardware store etc.

My mother trains service dogs for things like PTSD, Diabetes etc. There are enough issues with the general public dealing with dogs out and about.

I really can't stand people who think their dog needs to go to the concert in the park or other such activities. I'm sure little Biscuit really enjoys that jazz.
    Their traveling with their owners isn't about any of that. Not for most dog owners. It's about spending more time with your friend.

You are referring to a rather different, and sad, group of people. The attention seekers. For them, having a pet isn't about having a companion at all. Their motivations are purely self centered.

I enjoyed taking my buds with me when they were younger. Now that one is gone, and the other will soon be gone, that came to an end. I have always put the health and safety of my dogs first, and having them with me second.
    Snub44, Pete63 and CDW4ME like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links