Motorcycle open carry

Motorcycle open carry

This is a discussion on Motorcycle open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím curious as to what riders open carry and why. I ride. I live in the DFW Tx area and I open carry while riding. ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Motorcycle open carry

Motorcycle open carry

Iím curious as to what riders open carry and why.

I ride. I live in the DFW Tx area and I open carry while riding.

My reasoning:
    Getting cut off from DFW on ramps from the right is far reduced with a visible sidearm. I get cut off most in a car, a little less riding and significantly less openly armed. Some folks will push past a car, fewer past a bike and lots fewer past an armed biker.

I just sold the CZ 99021 I carried since it was black and not so visible. Iím currently acquiring a CZ-82 as that model is specifically designed for use with heavy gloves. Itís nickel coated as well, to be more visible. Might as well wear a model I can actually use should it come to it. I ride gloved.

I move to concealed when not riding. The bike has lockable hard bags for this reason. Iíll already have a concealed on or one available in the bags.

I only open carry while riding, fishing or hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ButtShot14 likes this.

If you carry right-handed, you need a cruise control.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    If you carry right-handed, you need a cruise control.
    Ambi, yet another reason for the CZ-82, but the risk of firing while in motion are really high. My priority would be to get stopped and preferably under cover. I have thought of left handed cavalry carry.

LimaCharlie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I was riding my motorcycle one weekend and saw there was a gun show at the convention center as I was riding by. I stopped and went in thinking I was just looking and not buying. I bought a blowgun with darts mounted on it from top to bottom. It was about four feet long and had a sling on it. I rode home for several miles with it slung across my back. I got lots of doubletake looks from drivers that day.
    Pete63, Snub44, lionround and 8 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired

VIP Member
    My firearms are covered by the vest, I ALWAYS wear (M/C requirement). I have pistols available for left & right hand draw (vest doesn't restrict access). I've practiced drawing & firing, while "safely out in the country". Don't care to advertise my defensive options. The ONLY time I O.C., is in the woods, on private property.
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Sponsor
    I open carry and conceal carry on the bike. Depends on the mood.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Ride what you want...Carry how you want....
    Pete63 likes this.

I do both, depending.

However; I would question the motivation of OC as a way to ward off people that would cut you off. I donít agree with this, because I donít believe it is the correct expectation.
    Also, I would much rather rely on the power-to-weight ratio of my bike to get where I needed to be on the road then to depend on someone seeing a gun on my belt at 70+ mph down a crowded freeway.
    AzQkr, Pete63, wmhawth and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I do both, depending.

However; I would question the motivation of OC as a way to ward off people that would cut you off. I donít agree with this, because I donít believe it is the correct expectation.
    Also, I would much rather rely on the power-to-weight ratio of my bike to get where I needed to be on the road then to depend on someone seeing a gun on my belt at 70+ mph down a crowded freeway.
    Low speed, rush hour city traffic, no where to go. The bike is too wide to split lanes.

It makes a serious difference, but I expect this is due to my specific area and situation. Texas loves their 1/4 mile merging lanes that you donít see elsewhere.

I donít get the people that have all this room and still cut people off by crossing the white line etc at the end of a 1/4 mile merge run. I nearly get hit in my car daily when not riding.

They are a little hesitant to do it to a bike, it is rare when I OC.

This isnít a problem in lighter traffic.

I would like to OC on my bike, but people have been swatted doing that in my state and I make stops from time to time at places that aren't posted, but I think would get hinky if they saw me OC, so I don't.

I would not ever consider firing a gun defensively while my bike is in motion. I think maneuver and speed are the best responses to a moving threat. I can accelerate faster and brake in a shorter distance than a cager. I can maneuver in a much shorter space and go through smaller spaces like lane splitting between cars to get away.

Firing while riding would present accuracy problems that I think would need to be trained for and I don't have the venue to do that kind of training. Also, shooting with riding gloves is problematic. I would worry about the bullets going places I didn't want them to. I carry for when I'm off the bike, at a stop. My choice, not telling anyone else what to do.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Sponsor
    I do both, depending.

That's always going to be my first option
    Pete63 and glockman10mm like this.

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Avoidance is always the best 1st option of course. There are times that wonít work.

And I will be training gloved.
    I canít imagine trying to fire while moving though, I wonít train for that. Iím typically commuting through traffic and have no real expectation of a sidearm as a viable option.

That being said, I got 10í from a coyote that was stuck on the median the morning of the time change last year. I assume he was used to crossing there an hour before traffic started and was stuck that day. He yawned and showed teeth. It is the closest I have come to actually using a gun. I unsnapped and put hands on ready to draw, but he never advanced. Poor guy was really stuck in a bad situation. I wasnít thinking of danger being on my left in a median right after a bridge. A car couldnít have gotten there. Our dumb luck that I just happened to stop right next to him.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I do both, depending.

If the one is using the firearm to intimidate other motorists, could that be a form of "brandishing"?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    If the one is using the firearm to intimidate other motorists, could that be a form of "brandishing"?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Open carrying isn't brandishing. Hard to prove intent to intimidate unless you put your hand on it during a problem.
    glockman10mm, Pete63 and gasmitty like this.

Brandishing it isn't in my opinion.
    But OCing to let people know not to mess with you isn't the right mindset.
    glockman10mm, AzQkr and Pete63 like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links