Open Carry and public alcohol consumption - Page 4

Open Carry and public alcohol consumption

This is a discussion on Open Carry and public alcohol consumption within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Havok I donít drink at all when Iím carrying, but I believe the only wording in the law here is that you ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Open Carry and public alcohol consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I donít drink at all when Iím carrying, but I believe the only wording in the law here is that you canít be intoxicated while carrying.
    When you take one drink one sip your are intoxicated . Drunks are all the same excuses I only had one ect .
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    When you take one drink one sip your are intoxicated . Drunks are all the same excuses I only had one ect .
    That is incorrect.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I don't drink at all (none for years now, I once had a drinking problem), but cannot agree with that. One drink or one sip (for most people) does not make a person intoxicated imo.
    OldVet likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I don't drink at all (none for years now, I once had a drinking problem), but cannot agree with that. One drink or one sip (for most people) does not make a person intoxicated imo.
    I owned two bars and no one has one drink and every drunk drive only had two, two here, two there two more over there and two int car on the way home. This is why I got out of it I was not interested in drunks. But soon learned no such thing as social drinkers. And of course everyone knows their limit.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

No, one might be "under the influence" to some level, but that is not "intoxicated." Usually intoxicated is a blood level of .08 or whatever level the state statutes have determined.
    Wavygravy, msgt/ret and scottync like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I owned two bars and no one has one drink and every drunk drive only had two, two here, two there two more over there and two int car on the way home. This is why I got out of it I was not interested in drunks. But soon learned no such thing as social drinkers. And of course everyone knows their limit.
    That doesnít change the definition of intoxicated.

verb
    past tense: intoxicated; past participle: intoxicated
    (of alcoholic drink or a drug) cause (someone) to lose control of their faculties or behavior.
    synonyms: inebriate, make drunk, make intoxicated, make inebriated; More

In your state the wording in the laws may be different, but here, itís as simple as this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I guess I don't exist then. I almost never have more than one alcoholic beverage when out in public. I drink socially on business trips regularly, and most of those I'm with do the same, one beer or glass of wine with dinner and that's it. My clearance and job depend on good behavior at all times.

Not everyone goes to bars to get turned sideways and lose their wits.

Still, I avoid alcohol when carrying in public. An adult beverage just isn't that important to me to risk it becoming an issue if I have to use lethal force.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Every state is different.

Here in Indiana there are absolutely no ties between alcohol consumption and the RKBA, which is as it should be.

BTW... I don't drink, but I do carry 100% of the time. If I were a drinker, I don't believe that I should have to give up the right to defend myself just because I've imbibed.
    Instymp and Rotorflyr like this.
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states).

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    It is absolutely against the law to carry a firearm while having any intoxicating substance in the bloodstream.
    Not everywhere.

In at least my state (Florida), you can have alcohol in your system as long as you are not over the limit. Its basically the same for driving. As twisted as it sounds, I can go have one beer (while carrying) but if I have like 8 more ounces @ 7.5% ABV, I think I'm over the limit. And I can't sit at a bar, but i can sit at a table across from the bar.

I personally wouldn't drink any and carry though.
    Instymp likes this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Personally, I don't consume alcohol when I'm carrying in public. That is a recipe for losing one's license. What other people do it their business. But the system has a way of filtering and sorting out the ones who make dumb choices.
    scottync likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I do drink socially...on occasion and when I do I am usually driving which means I drink a single drink regardless of how long I am out. I am neither a drunk nor a liar. Your experience, regardless of scope, does not apply to all. (and I never carry when I have a drink).
    msgt/ret likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Distinguished Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    In Colorado it is illegal to be under the influence when carrying (you can carry where alcohol is served) but there is no specific standard for what carrying under the influence is. There is the rub. It's a totally subjective standard.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Here in Oregon, being under the affluence of incohol is 0.08.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No, one might be "under the influence" to some level, but that is not "intoxicated." Usually intoxicated is a blood level of .08 or whatever level the state statutes have determined.
    the sneaky part in addition to whatever the state limit is.....is the field sobriety test, they can get you for much lower. States should publish honest lower limits for people to manage, I'd never heard that until it happened to a couple friends still charged while being under the limit based on field tests.

I spend plenty on Uber/Lyft/Taxis if I venture out on the town once in awhile.

I outgrew drinking to stupid over 40 years ago, now I only drink at home or if I am on the road in my motel room unless they have a bar in the building then I might have a couple then walk back to my room.
    Instymp and scottync like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links