Just started open carrying a bit... - Page 2

Just started open carrying a bit...

This is a discussion on Just started open carrying a bit... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OC is legal here, and in the smaller towns (like where I live) it is not uncommon....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Just started open carrying a bit...

OC is legal here, and in the smaller towns (like where I live) it is not uncommon.

Good thread. Great indication of what I've noticed through the U.S., namely, that OC is a lot more common that most people realize.
    Bikenut likes this.
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, THEY PROTECT EVERYTHING ELSE.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    OC is legal in Ga...and until 2010, was legal without a license. I OC some, mostly during hunting season...but, honestly, a lot of the time when I am carrying concealed and running my business, my gun is visible. For the most part, all my service is provided outside of the home or business, only occasionally will I have to enter the garage or go under the carport for a few minutes. I have never had a customer to mention it to me...if one ever has a problem with it, I will respect their opinion as I am on their property. If they register a complaint with me, I will promptly leave and they can call some other service contractor to finish where I left off. For the most part, OC is not noticed by people in my area...most of them are too engrossed in their phone to notice what anyone is doing or wearing.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I OC from my safe to my IWB holster. It's about the best I can do other than go OC fishing and create a scene.
    glockman10mm, OD* and M1911A1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    We have an officer on duty almost every day at the nearest Walmart. I've seen a few open carries there and nobody says anything. It's legal here, but not sure if one needs a CCW permit to do so and don't care as I have one even though not necessary as we are a CXonstitution Carry state. I've seen it at Kum&Go and someplace else that evades my memory at the moment. No big deal. The only one that concerned me was the one carrying at the 6. I've almost convinced myself to open carry just to get people used to seeing it. Can't carry on the belt easily or for too long as it necessitates a run to the Chiro after about 2 hours carrying, though the new suspenders help in that department.
    since9 likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

I never OC,which is legal in my state. I think that it attracts too much attention to the wearer. Besides, it's always a mistake to let people know too much about you.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ShenandoahValley View Post
    I don't open carry but it's legal to in VA. I carry but cover the weapon and I know it imprints at time but I don't sweat it. Open carry is common here in the Shenandoah Valley but go into Northern VA near DC and it's rarely seen.
    I live on the fringe of Northern Virginia* and I OC'd on a regular basis, as in nearly always, for 7 1/2 years, from 2007 to 2015 when I decided to return to concealed carry nearly all the time. During my time of OC'ing, I only had one negative encounter and that was in 2009 from someone who claimed to be a retired LEO. Judging from his accent, he was definitely not a native Virginian but probably from from somewhere up in the northeast. Other that that, I never had any problems from citizens, police, or businesses. When I got comments, they were almost always in the form of questions. No rushing for the doors, screaming MWAG, or huge wide-eyed stares, though once some people in a car from New Jersey stared and pointed at me.

Open carry is the normal mode of carrying a sidearm in Virginia, whereas concealing it requires a permission slip from our employees. There is nothing at all abnormal about openly carrying one's sidearm. After all, police do it and they don't have the right to carry when in the performance of their duties. During those times, they carry at our pleasure and with our permission. We, on the other hand, always have the right to carry.

* In actuality, where I live would be considered NOVA but geographically it is just outside of that area.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

It's legal but would be and has been a headache in my neck of the woods....Way too rare and way too many panic driven
    individuals.
    Risasi likes this.

I carry both ways. Open more in the summer because of the heat here in Texas.
    Most people walk around with no situational awareness at all, my firearm barely gets noticed.
    Most gun guys will not mention anything.
    It has started a few conversations with people who were curious about the whole LTC thing here.
    My goal is not to walk around inviting folks into our culture, but if I can show some that there is nothing dangerous about it and you can go about your normal life with one. I am OK with that
    Bikenut and Havok like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I OC from my safe to my IWB holster. It's about the best I can do other than go OC fishing and create a scene.
    I've seen people OC in many states. Why would fishing while OC create a scene?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    I've almost convinced myself to open carry just to get people used to seeing it.
    While that's certainly a positive side-effect of a polite OC person, I recommend against OC for that reason.

...or too long as it necessitates a run to the Chiro after about 2 hours carrying, though the new suspenders help in that department.
    I suffered for a year, including backaches, until someone recommended I purchase a steel belt. "A what?" It's a nylon-webbing belt with a d-buckle that has a sold steel insert. Won't bend or warp under load, and it really does a terrific job of distributing the load around instead of at the point of attachment while pulling on the opposite side.

Quote Originally Posted by armado View Post
    I never OC,which is legal in my state. I think that it attracts too much attention to the wearer. Besides, it's always a mistake to let people know too much about you.
    Well, New Mexico isn't exactly a terribly conservative state...

But who cares? If it's legal, why worry about it? I think you'll find this decision rendered by the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico quite an interesting read. Essentially, it covers precisely the "attention" issue you mention, telling cops, "without RAS/PC of an actual crime, no approach, much less detaining an OC."

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    No rushing for the doors, screaming MWAG, or huge wide-eyed stares, though once some people in a car from New Jersey stared and pointed at me.
    That's what I thought I would accomplish when I first stated OC. Man, was I disappointed! BTW, my cousin is from NJ. He thinks I'm some sort of freak just for owning a gun.

After all, police do it and they don't have the right to carry when in the performance of their duties. During those times, they carry at our pleasure and with our permission. We, on the other hand, always have the right to carry.
    That's an outstanding point, one which many LE's know, but for some reason is a sore point with others, particularly the ones in bigger, anti-gun cities. It's almost like bragging rights, "I can and you can't!" and they'll defend it vigorously.

I'm like, "Dude, that's not part of your job..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    It's legal but would be and has been a headache in my neck of the woods....Way too rare and way too many panic driven
    individuals.
    Nebraska? Really? I know quite a few people tucked beneath your left armpit, in the NW corner of Colorado, and they OC all the time.

Huh...
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, THEY PROTECT EVERYTHING ELSE.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I've seen people OC in many states. Why would fishing while OC create a scene?

While that's certainly a positive side-effect of a polite OC person, I recommend against OC for that reason.

I suffered for a year, including backaches, until someone recommended I purchase a steel belt. "A what?" It's a nylon-webbing belt with a d-buckle that has a sold steel insert. Won't bend or warp under load, and it really does a terrific job of distributing the load around instead of at the point of attachment while pulling on the opposite side.

Well, New Mexico isn't exactly a terribly conservative state...

But who cares? If it's legal, why worry about it? I think you'll find this decision rendered by the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico quite an interesting read. Essentially, it covers precisely the "attention" issue you mention, telling cops, "without RAS/PC of an actual crime, no approach, much less detaining an OC."

That's what I thought I would accomplish when I first stated OC. Man, was I disappointed! BTW, my cousin is from NJ. He thinks I'm some sort of freak just for owning a gun.

That's an outstanding point, one which many LE's know, but for some reason is a sore point with others, particularly the ones in bigger, anti-gun cities. It's almost like bragging rights, "I can and you can't!" and they'll defend it vigorously.

I'm like, "Dude, that's not part of your job..."

Nebraska? Really? I know quite a few people tucked beneath your left armpit, in the NW corner of Colorado, and they OC all the time.

Huh...
    Sorry to break this to ya...But i don't live where your talking about....As someone who has been on the negative side of OC and dealt with the hassle
    it is not worth it....There is more than the NW corner of the state.
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Sorry to break this to ya...But i don't live where your talking about....As someone who has been on the negative side of OC and dealt with the hassle
    it is not worth it....There is more than the NW corner of the state.
    Are you confusing the NW corner of Colorado with the NW corner of Nebraska?

Anyhoo, sorry to hear it was such a hassle for you.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Since9, I cannot carry on a belt period. In fact, I just started wearing suspenders and an elastic belt and my hips thank me. Now I just need to avoid paintball with the grandkids and moving heavy objects up and down the stairs.

As for OC, I've seen it on occasion at Walmart, Kum&Go, and Golden Corral. With a pistol. Nobody panicked. With the police cadet rejects terrorizing the 2 north end Walmarts now, disguised as security, I wouldn't OC there. Then there's the nut in the bulletproof vest, an AR and pistol at the Neighborhood Market in the other thread. The loco manager LIED to police, stating he was an ACTIVE shooter, and pulled the fire alarm, endangering customers as they fled the fire that didn't exist.
    since9 likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

The general populace may (or may not) be concerned with a handgun openly carried. That same populace is alarmed at an AR being openly carried. I can understand that.
    Wavygravy and craze like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The general populace may (or may not) be concerned with a handgun openly carried. That same populace is alarmed at an AR being openly carried. I can understand that.
    Just started open carrying a bit...-kaitlin-bennet-ar-15-college-come-take-.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links