Just started open carrying a bit... - Page 3

Just started open carrying a bit...

This is a discussion on Just started open carrying a bit... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TN is an open carry state if one has a handgun carry permit. But other than an isolated gun event like Friends of the NRA ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Just started open carrying a bit...

VIP Member
    TN is an open carry state if one has a handgun carry permit. But other than an isolated gun event like Friends of the NRA or our state firearms association annual meeting/BBQ/gun auction, I don't recall seeing anyone open carrying, and that with over 10% of the state population now having HCPs. I have nothing against it, but it is not for me.
    OD* likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Since9, I cannot carry on a belt period. In fact, I just started wearing suspenders and an elastic belt and my hips thank me. Now I just need to avoid paintball with the grandkids and moving heavy objects up and down the stairs.

As for OC, I've seen it on occasion at Walmart, Kum&Go, and Golden Corral. With a pistol. Nobody panicked. With the police cadet rejects terrorizing the 2 north end Walmarts now, disguised as security, I wouldn't OC there. Then there's the nut in the bulletproof vest, an AR and pistol at the Neighborhood Market in the other thread. The loco manager LIED to police, stating he was an ACTIVE shooter, and pulled the fire alarm, endangering customers as they fled the fire that didn't exist.
    Thank you, RedSafety. I knew there was more to this story than being reported by mudstream media.

I'm thinking the Walmart manager needs to face charges, first of all for pulling a fire alarm without a credible threat of any kind, and second of all, for making false official statements to law enforcement.
    Bikenut likes this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Local sources are much more accommodating with the facts.
    since9 likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I don't consider the decision whether or not to OC to have anything to do with public sentiment or the feelings of others. I consider mode of carry to be a lesser tactic and one that should be (decided) based on a competent evaluation regarding its ability to help or hinder your self defense efforts. I wont say that I have NEVER OC'd because I have but I will say that there are very good reasons why the majority of trained and experienced people do not OC and are not proponents of OC. If you want to do it.. its fine by me but it would probably be a good idea to learn about the potential perils. Forget ego, activism, social engineering or the desire for attention and simply examine the pluses and minuses from an honest standpoint. Whatever a person decides to do.. good luck but a openly carried firearm is not a talisman and it may not have the deterrent effect on a violent predatory criminal that you presume it does.
    G-man* likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Lead Moderator
    It's pretty common around here.

About the only thing ever said about it is "what are you totin"?
    since9 and OD* like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

I have seen it from time to time here, which has always been Constitutional open carry, but itís not as popular as you would think it would be.

On occasion i will do it, but not as a matter of practice. Sometimes Iím just too lazy or hot to wear a cover garment.
    Location and environment also are factors.
    since9 and OD* like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    On occasion i will do it, but not as a matter of practice. Sometimes Iím just too lazy or hot to wear a cover garment.
    Location and environment also are factors.
    Indeed. OC requires no permit, but CC does, and it's nice not to have to worry about throwing on a long, heavy jacket without breaking some fool law.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    I have seen a lot of open carry in Texas, and as a cop, it doesn't bother me at all. The ones you have to worry about in general do not show the weapon until it's too late, though it does put me in a higher state of alert.

What is even stranger here is the legality of open carry of swords now. I was in uniform, directing traffic downtown, and a hipster type goes walking past me (I was in the street and he was on the sidewalk) with a full length Scottish Claymore strapped to his back like a friggin Highlander. I looked over and shouted, "HEY!" He looked over with that expression of, "Here comes the harassment I was trying to stir up," and I shouted, "NICE CLAYMORE!, BUT YOU WILL NEVER GET IT DRAWN FROM THAT STYLE CARRY IF A KURGAN SHOWS UP!!!"

He grinned and walked on past (I was hoping he got the nod to the movie)..... TEXAS BY GOD!
    That's why Connor carried a Katana under his coat
    lordofwyr likes this.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    The only time I open carry is during tourist season.
    M1911A1, since9, OD* and 1 others like this.

My experience with open carry is that it causes more problems than it solves. I'm aware that 95% of people you encounter won't even notice you're armed but 5% will and of that group some percentage will immediately start think about how they can take that gun off of you.

I open carry at work when my assignment requires it. Apart from work I haven't open carried in about ten years. At work I've had one instance where two guys knew I was armed and tried to rob me. and two other instances in which someone tried to take my gun from me.

The biggest issue that I see with most people that open carry is it they are absolutely convinced that the bad guy is going to take one look at their Mighty Boomstick and go someplace else. There are people out there who are not intimidated by the fact that you're carrying a gun in the slightest. This is not a new experience for them. You are not the first person to threaten them with violence. you're not the first person that's ever pointed a gun at them.The odds are that your very first time dealing with a violent criminal offender will be their 100th time dealing with somebody like you. They're a lot more comfortable with violence than you are. They don't have the inhibitions against using violence we do and they're not thinking about the consequences like normal people are.

I am aware that people open carry for years without incident. I open carried for years without incident until I didn't. What I am saying is it if you choose to open carry a firearm you had better have a plan for what you're going to do when somebody tries to take it off you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    My experience with open carry is that it causes more problems than it solves.
    Then don't OC.

My experience with open carry is that is solves more problems than it causes.

I'm aware that 95% of people you encounter won't even notice you're armed but 5% will and of that group some percentage will immediately start think about how they can take that gun off of you.
    I know of only two categories of people who would consider taking a gun from you: Law enforcement and violent criminals. I would up your 5% to 20%, particularly if you spend time waiting in line, but LE's are 1 in a thousand, here, but respect the law and would never attempt it without your violating a law, and violent criminals, who are both quite rare yet also very wary of attempting actions which stand a reasonable chance of getting themselves shot.

In fact, armed citizen OC gun grabs are so rare that we do not yet have enough numbers to assign any statistical significance to them.

I open carry at work when my assignment requires it. Apart from work I haven't open carried in about ten years. At work I've had one instance where two guys knew I was armed and tried to rob me. and two other instances in which someone tried to take my gun from me.
    My, you are rare!

The biggest issue that I see with most people that open carry is it they are absolutely convinced that the bad guy is going to take one look at their Mighty Boomstick and go someplace else. There are people out there who are not intimidated by the fact that you're carrying a gun in the slightest. This is not a new experience for them. You are not the first person to threaten them with violence. you're not the first person that's ever pointed a gun at them.The odds are that your very first time dealing with a violent criminal offender will be their 100th time dealing with somebody like you. They're a lot more comfortable with violence than you are. They don't have the inhibitions against using violence we do and they're not thinking about the consequences like normal people are.
    Actually, except for flat-out fools, a number of studies have shown criminals are rather cautious individuals, much more so that the general populace, regardless of whether they're brazen or reserved.

Whether or not they'll strike has far more to do with you as a person than whether or not you're carrying.

I am aware that people open carry for years without incident. I open carried for years without incident until I didn't. What I am saying is it if you choose to open carry a firearm you had better have a plan for what you're going to do when somebody tries to take it off you.
    Absolutely. It's called "Retention Training," and no, diapers are not involved.

Before say anything else I would like to point out that I never said people shouldn't open carry, I said I don't. I fully support your right to make your own decision in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Then don't OC.
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I don't.

and violent criminals, who are both quite rare yet also very wary of attempting actions which stand a reasonable chance of getting themselves shot.
    Is this based on experience or supposition?

In fact, armed citizen OC gun grabs are so rare that we do not yet have enough numbers to assign any statistical significance to them.
    Documented instances of armed citizens defending themselves outside their homes are pretty rare too, yet you still carry a gun. Also, documented gun grabs are rare but there are more every year aren't there? I know of two that happened right here in the Springs in the last year or so. Both with in a mile of the intersection of Academy and Austin Bluffs.

My, you are rare!
    And yet, here I am.

Actually, except for flat-out fools, a number of studies have shown criminals are rather cautious individuals, much more so that the general populace, regardless of whether they're brazen or reserved.
    I'd like to read these studies for myself, would you care to cite them? Perhaps you could post a link?

Absolutely. It's called "Retention Training," and no, diapers are not involved.
    How many open carriers, in fact how many concealed carriers are you aware of who have any retention training?

Again, I'm not anti open carry, it's just not a practice that I choose to engage in. You do you.

Last edited by Cypher; September 4th, 2019 at 09:41 AM.

OC is legal in Minnesota but you almost never see it in the cities Minneapolis/Saint Paul
    Iíve only seen one person OC this year so far in the cities
    My friend who works homicide and dresses in plainclothes stopped by my gym the other day OCing and freaked out a couple millinials until they saw the badge on his belt, even then you could tell they were still bothered

Quote Originally Posted by ddrew View Post
    OC is legal in Minnesota but you almost never see it in the cities Minneapolis/Saint Paul
    Iíve only seen one person OC this year so far in the cities
    My friend who works homicide and dresses in plainclothes stopped by my gym the other day OCing and freaked out a couple millinials until they saw the badge on his belt, even then you could tell they were still bothered
    Therein lies the problem. We have entire generations who've been so brainwashed by mudstream media and the lack of practical, commonplace open carry they freak out whether they see it.
    Bikenut likes this.

I have not been open carrying much, as Iím awaiting a custom leather holster with retention for the purpose.

However, itís nice to be able to take my cover garment off before getting into the car (at which point Iím open carrying) and not have to worry about it.
    Sister and Mike1956 like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links