Just started open carrying a bit...

This is a discussion on Just started open carrying a bit... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that we're in Texas, where open carry is legal with a LTC, I've stepped into a world I doubted I would ever enter...that of ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Just started open carrying a bit...

Now that we're in Texas, where open carry is legal with a LTC, I've stepped into a world I doubted I would ever enter...that of open carrying.

I started accidentally...didn't have time to put on a cover shirt when I had to answer the door for a delivery, and ended up speaking to my new neighbor who happened to be outside. If she even noticed my G19, she didn't say anything.

Then the other night, I walked outside to join my wife and daughter at an impromptu meeting with my other neighbors...and again, no one said anything, if they even noticed the SP101 I had on my hip.

So, I plan on open carrying at times around the neighborhood, while on walks with my family, etc. More than anything, just to see how it goes, and to exercise my new-found freedom.

I don't think I'll open carry any further afield than that, though...too many stores and other venues with 30.07 (no open carry) signs posted. And as a practical matter, I don't own any retention holsters, which I would definitely want for more regular open carry.

To me, the best part about legal open carry is not having to worry if your concealed sidearm gets noticed. That is very nice.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

It's legal here in Utah, but I rarely see it done where we live. I will open carry on occasion up in the forest, but usually I have my hunting pack on and then the pistol is in a Safepacker holster that fastens to waistbelt of my pack.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

I open carry here in Michigan everyday everywhere it is legal. Even in Wal Mart where I hand out quarters to parents of young children so the kids can ride the mechanical horse in the lobby. No one cares about my sidearm but the kids sure do like the horsey ride.

The more you open carry the more natural it becomes. And the more people see ordinary folks open carrying the more natural it becomes to see ordinary people open carrying.

That which is hidden is unusual to see but what is ordinarily seen becomes ordinary to see.
    OldChap, Sister, airslot and 4 others like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This is definitely the time of year for OC in this part of the country. As far as the 30.07 signs I just keep a light cover shirt (sometimes an Astros jersey) in the truck. If I have to go into a posted business I slip it on as I get out.
    My only non retention holsters are a couple of cheap IWB that I only bought because they were on sale. I rarely use them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I do now and then
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Distinguished Member
    2A on each 2nd. Its a tradition to take a tour around a WalMart OC'ing to see if anyone notices.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

NV is a open carry state. I OC'd for about 2 years without any undue attention.The interest I did get was inquisitive and positive.
    I still OC on occasion. Not as much since I got my CC permit. As far as printing..I don't pay much attention to that anymore.

One occasion when I did open carry to get attention. Had to find a place for my sticker...Guess who I voted for...

I don't open carry but it's legal to in VA. I carry but cover the weapon and I know it imprints at time but I don't sweat it. Open carry is common here in the Shenandoah Valley but go into Northern VA near DC and it's rarely seen.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

I have seen a lot of open carry in Texas, and as a cop, it doesn't bother me at all. The ones you have to worry about in general do not show the weapon until it's too late, though it does put me in a higher state of alert.

What is even stranger here is the legality of open carry of swords now. I was in uniform, directing traffic downtown, and a hipster type goes walking past me (I was in the street and he was on the sidewalk) with a full length Scottish Claymore strapped to his back like a friggin Highlander. I looked over and shouted, "HEY!" He looked over with that expression of, "Here comes the harassment I was trying to stir up," and I shouted, "NICE CLAYMORE!, BUT YOU WILL NEVER GET IT DRAWN FROM THAT STYLE CARRY IF A KURGAN SHOWS UP!!!"

He grinned and walked on past (I was hoping he got the nod to the movie)..... TEXAS BY GOD!
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    2A on each 2nd. Its a tradition to take a tour around a WalMart OC'ing to see if anyone notices.
    I've observed that at the local Walmart on several occasions male and females but there is also the semi concealed carries also.

Senior Moderator
    Good for you!

I open carry occasionally, or conceal carry, as my inclination allows, as Maine is a Constitutional Carry state!
    OD*, Bikenut, 10thmtn and 2 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

The only place I've seen someone open carrying is occasionally at Walmart. It would not bother me one bit to see it more often (in other places besides Walmart). Me and my wife were out eating the other day when this couple came in and sat at the table next to us. I noticed they were both open carrying, and I thought that was nice. And then I noticed their badges, and I thought, aw never mind.

The only time I open carry is at home, before I've put my shirt on. Lol
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OC has been legal here a long time and OC of any size bladed or blunt weapon as well ..So not really something that frazes one ..It is nice really when it gets past 100f and you dont want to deal with gun rub or cover shirt or pocket carry only ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    I have seen a lot of open carry in Texas, and as a cop, it doesn't bother me at all. The ones you have to worry about in general do not show the weapon until it's too late, though it does put me in a higher state of alert.

What is even stranger here is the legality of open carry of swords now. I was in uniform, directing traffic downtown, and a hipster type goes walking past me (I was in the street and he was on the sidewalk) with a full length Scottish Claymore strapped to his back like a friggin Highlander. I looked over and shouted, "HEY!" He looked over with that expression of, "Here comes the harassment I was trying to stir up," and I shouted, "NICE CLAYMORE!, BUT YOU WILL NEVER GET IT DRAWN FROM THAT STYLE CARRY IF A KURGAN SHOWS UP!!!"

He grinned and walked on past (I was hoping he got the nod to the movie)..... TEXAS BY GOD!
    The Real America is full of genuine diversity! GBA on this Independence Day!
    lordofwyr and gatorbait51 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    My Wife open carries daily (rural AZ). I carry daily 95% of the time concealed, 5% open. This includes when we go into town, Kingman or Bullhead City.
    No one here cares, but they notice. And I've observed more people having puzzled looks when I don't appear armed while Wife is OCing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51, Henry9008 and OD* like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links