Open carry?

Open carry?

This is a discussion on Open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know open carry is legal in Texas with a LTC. You may also legally carry a long gun in public without a permit. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Open carry?

Open carry?

I know open carry is legal in Texas with a LTC. You may also legally carry a long gun in public without a permit. I am still puzzled by the fact that the gunman in El Paso came from the crowded parking lot and thru the front door of WM with an AK look-a like. And no one thought that to be a possible threat. No one called 911. No one even took cover and confronted the "man". I find this remarkable. Would you have done anything if you had witnessed this? Were all the WM security people asleep instead of watching some of the parking lot/ front entrance cameras? Just another reason I don't go to WM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    I know open carry is legal in Texas with a LTC. You may also legally carry a long gun in public without a permit. I am still puzzled by the fact that the gunman in El Paso came from the crowded parking lot and thru the front door of WM with an AK look-a like. And no one thought that to be a possible threat. No one called 911. No one even took cover and confronted the "man". I find this remarkable. Would you have done anything if you had witnessed this? Were all the WM security people asleep instead of watching some of the parking lot/ front entrance cameras? Just another reason I don't go to WM.
    He opened up in the parking lot, firing as he made his way toward the entrance.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

flh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open carry?-img_1788.jpg  

msgt/ret, QKShooter, MB53 and 4 others like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nothing about this makes sense.
    OldChap likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Surprised no civilians returned fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huski92 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would require armed and willing civilians.
    montejames and Shootnlead like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huski92 View Post
    A quandary to me too. Is El Passo dominated by liberals?
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

WM security is unarmed. No use there. As far as not shopping there because of that, what makes that any different than going to a store that doesn't have any security? I don't believe many states allow store security to be armed in the first place. Only police or armored car company security personnel are allowed to carry. As was stated, it started in the parking lot before moving inside.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    WM security is unarmed. No use there. As far as not shopping there because of that, what makes that any different than going to a store that doesn't have any security? I don't believe many states allow store security to be armed in the first place. Only police or armored car company security personnel are allowed to carry. As was stated, it started in the parking lot before moving inside.
    That is very dependent on the state. I will admit, it has been a long time since I worked as a security guard in California (kes, I am aware the incident occurred in Texas). However, when I did, the decision was more dependent on the guard company and the request of the client.
    TSKnight likes this.

Ouch. See my other thread. Hopefully the new security company at my closest WM is not carrying. My experience with them is that THEY are a security threat. Customers have to jump out of the way and slam on their brakes to accommodate the reckless, aggressive, "I'm GOD" driving. Even the way they walk is intimidating. Can you say Takleberry on steroids? On a bad day?

Edit: more like Hightower before attending Academy. Or maybe Gestapo officers.
    ButtShot14 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Most people are in Condition Grey most of the time these days.

Yes, I know White is Coopers least aware but his system predates Zombie mezmerization by "Smart" phones for the masses. Grey is for when people are in a fog.
    ButtShot14 likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

El Paso is substantially different from your normal American city. A huge number of people cross the border daily from Juarez to shop in El Paso. On any given day you would think yourself more likely to be in Mexico than the US. Those people, of course, are not US citizens, so the odds of there being a Texas LTC holder anywhere near are a lot lower, than say in Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio.

The vast majority of the folks from Juarez are good people - the kind of people who become good American citizens. I know many who moved here and they embody all that is good about immigration. Most have to live in Mexico, for various reasons, but they are an example of how blended the populations along the border become. In particular, the cities on the US side with "sister" cities next door in Mexico.

I would feel safer shopping in a Wal Mart in El Paso at 3am than I would in Houston at the same time.
    KILTED COWBOY and ButtShot14 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    My wife asked me yesterday, "Where are all the good guys with guns when these things happen?".
    I could not give her a logical answer.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    A quandary to me too. Is El Passo dominated by liberals?
    That is a big YES. This is Robert Francis ORorke's hometown if that tell you anything

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    My wife asked me yesterday, "Where are all the good guys with guns when these things happen?".
    I could not give her a logical answer.
    That's the real conundrum. I always carry. I know many people who either always or usually carry, so why wasn't an armed citizen around who could have stopped them?

Here's the single-most important reason:

There are roughly 17,251,354 CC permits in the U.S. out of 255.369,678 adults. That's 6.8%. Thus, 1 in 15 have CC permits.

But do 1 in 15 people carry?

Not even close.

According to the National Firearms Survey, which the authors a group of public health experts at the University of Washington, Harvard University and the University of Colorado administered in 2015, roughly 3 million Americans carry a firearm on a daily basis. That brings it down to just 1.2% of adults, roughly 1 in 85, actually carry on a daily basis.

Put another way, out of everyone who has their CC permit, on 17.4%, or 1 in 6, actually use it on a daily basis.

But the real number to answer your questions is that on average, out of 85 people, only 1 of them is armed at any given time.

If we could increase the prevalence to 1 in 20, we'd take a bite out of crime.

If we could increase that to 1 in 10, we'd pretty much eliminate crime and take a bite out of mass shooters.

If we could increase that to 1 in 3, we'd have a VERY polite society indeed!
    montejames and Bikenut like this.
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect everything else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links