Add Meijers and Aldi to the list of stores banning OC - Page 8

Add Meijers and Aldi to the list of stores banning OC

This is a discussion on Add Meijers and Aldi to the list of stores banning OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bikenut Ok, we disagree on that nuance. But it doesn't change the fact that the money folks in the gun community spend ...

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: Add Meijers and Aldi to the list of stores banning OC

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Ok, we disagree on that nuance. But it doesn't change the fact that the money folks in the gun community spend at Wal Mart will partly go to supporting Everytown for Gun Safety. And apparently there are some in the gun community that are OK with that.
    Indeed. I can't find the thread tonight, but last I read someone being supportive of Walmart's decision, something about, "they're still carrying most handgun ammo; just not AK-47 and AR-15 ammo."

First, I find that at odds with their official news release:

We’ve previously made decisions to stop selling handguns or military-style rifles such as the AR-15, to raise the age limit to purchase a firearm or ammunition to 21, to require a “green light” on a background check while federal law only requires the absence of a “red light,” to videotape the point of sale for firearms and to only allow certain trained associates to sell firearms.

Today, we’re sharing the decisions we’ve made that go further:

After selling through our current inventory commitments, we will discontinue sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber that, while commonly used in some hunting rifles, can also be used in large capacity clips on military-style weapons;
    We will sell through and discontinue handgun ammunition; and
    We will discontinue handgun sales in Alaska, marking our complete exit from handguns.

Here's the kicker:

We have also had well-intentioned customers acting lawfully that have inadvertently caused a store to be evacuated and local law enforcement to be called to respond. These incidents are concerning and we would like to avoid them, so we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores or Sam’s Clubs in states where “open carry” is permitted – unless they are authorized law enforcement officers.

They could have said, "...so we are working with law enforcement and managers to ensure everyone is aware of what's considering lawful carry in each locale..."

But, no. They instead adopted Anytown's long-term plan for total eradication of carry.

So, do I blame the kid?

Heck no. I blame Walmart for partnering with Anytown, and I blame Anytown for it's flagrantly anti-Constitutional position.

Keep the focus where it belongs, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Yeah, I've read some of your earlier posts on this board. Aren't you the guy that open carries into Walmart and other stores while surreptitiously filming it, talks to moms with their little kids, and carries around quarters to give the kids so they can ride the little rides in the foyers?
    Go to WalMart and do it again now, after these recent events. I can see the 911 call --
    "911, what is your emergency?"
    "Well, there's this weird old creepy dude talking to my wife and kid, he's trying to give money to my kid, and...and... he's GOT A GUN!"

Let's see what happens, eh?
    Thanks for falling right into the traps set out by the anti-gunners to get us bickering, possible aided by covert instigators right here on this forum.

Bikenut's not the enemy, either. Anytown is our enemy. By partnering with Anytown, now Walmart is our enemy, or at the very least, certainly not to whom we should support.

They're the real enemy of the Second Amendment. Focus on them.
    Bikenut and Nmuskier like this.
    Governor Northam: YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I was at Walmart last night. Wandered over by the sporting goods section.
    Same cases with the same rifles for sale. Ammo display case looked the same.
    I was carrying concealed, Wife was open carrying. No one said anything, it was a typical trip to the store.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    forester58 likes this.

Psalm 144:1

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    More jumping on the bandwagon. Meijers is a large chain around here

"The safety of our customers and team members is our top priority, so we respectfully request that our customers do not open carry firearms at Meijer. We've made this decision because open carry can create an environment that makes our customers and team members feel unsafe. — Meijer (@meijer) September 9, 2019"

"At ALDI, the safety of our employees, customers and the community is our highest priority. Alongside many other businesses, we are asking that our customers refrain from openly displaying firearms in any of our stores, except for authorized law enforcement personnel. — ALDI USA (@AldiUSA) September 9, 2019"

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...guns-in-stores
    To the contrary, it doesn't make them any safer. These businesses just don't "get it".
    Microwave technicians are fully deviated.

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    I was at Walmart last night. Wandered over by the sporting goods section.
    Same cases with the same rifles for sale. Ammo display case looked the same.
    I was carrying concealed, Wife was open carrying. No one said anything, it was a typical trip to the store.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I was at the local one here at 3:50am this morning. Wandered over to the sporting goods, plenty of long guns in the racks, ammo shelves looked reasonable, a few empty spots. Met the security guard on the way in and out. They keep him there so the tweekers don't hang at the doorway bothering customers or try to hand in the entrance way to stay cool etc.
    Attached Images      
    OldVet and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Not much of a big deal since Publix's primary market is Florida where OC is limited to hunting, fishing, camping. I have never seen anyone OC'ing in FL. It's a bit like Exxon saying they sell gas only to lawful drivers.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not much of a big deal since Publix's primary market is Florida where OC is limited to hunting, fishing, camping. I have never seen anyone OC'ing in FL. It's a bit like Exxon saying they sell gas only to lawful drivers.
    Aldi isn't a big deal since there isn't an Aldi in my area.
    Meijer isn't a big deal since it is out of my way, and I really only went there for groceries.
    Starbucks isn't a big deal since I make my own coffee.
    Target...
    Wallgreens...
    CVS...
    Kroger...
    Wegmans...
    Walmart...
    Trader Joe's...
    Chili's...
    Chipotle...
    Panera Bread...
    Sonics...

Well, I really don't open carry, so none of it is a big deal. I'm sure this will stop once we've all agreed to end OC. The groups pressuring the public will support cc.

I have learned it long ago, folks. Someone can be a great professional, and simultaneously ultimate piece of crap as a person. And yes, there are many free riders, and this community is not exemption.
    ddrew likes this.

Here's a few more grocery stores for the band wagon. Anyone think this will be it?

https://www-wtae-com.cdn.ampproject....ons%2F29043387

Yesterday, I performed a "Test" in my local Wally World. I open carried (which I never do, but that's MY preference) into their store, and NOBODY approached me, nor did they bat and eye on it. Seems the OC ban might be a Regional thing, more than a company wide thing. PLUS, they still had all sorts of ammo on their shelves.
    Risasi, OldVet, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Yesterday, I performed a "Test" in my local Wally World. I open carried (which I never do, but that's MY preference) into their store, and NOBODY approached me, nor did they bat and eye on it. Seems the OC ban might be a Regional thing, more than a company wide thing. PLUS, they still had all sorts of ammo on their shelves.
    I'm sure it varies from state to state, but the ones where I commonly roam about I think nearly all of them require signage and I think that's the catch. Until all of these stores post them all they really are doing is "asking nicely" for the masses to not carry. Maybe that's in the works, maybe not. I'm guessing they didn't expect such a backlash from the gun owners and were instead hoping to just score brownie points with the anti's.

Now what feels like exists is a very wide gray line they have drawn in the sand.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

General thoughts

I have read significant portion of the discussion, and then I decided to share some general thoughts. It may be long, I beg you to bear with me. I will try to isolate one issue at a time, which hopefully will help people to stay through all of them (if I am making sense that is, which I hopefully will).

Incident: someone didn't use "best judgement" which resulted in isolated incident, and we all feel bad that there are some of us who did something bad for our "group".

Do not consider this this this way. The truth is that in any big enough "group of people" selected by any sort of category there always is someone who might do something that [keeping in mind political or any social background in the society] may harm the cause/well being of the group. This is just a "law of big numbers". Or in layman's language "sh** happens". This is inevitable, always almost certain that will happen, and we should not feel anything about the fact that between us there are some who do what most of us will not... There are such people, and they are in any other big enough group of people too.

Bias: leaving aside the judjement whether the incident is acually bad, or just nothing, it got country-wide media coverage.

Surprised? Not me. If I paraphrase Michael Chrichton ("State of Fear"), the establishment, or some will speculate (there is no way person can get proof, and stay alive to tell it) the invisible puppet masters who pull the strings of politicians, - rulers do need to keep people in a state of fear, to maintain status quo. In the past it was cold war, and military-industrial complex. With us "winning" cold war, military-industrial complex was replaced with politico-media complex. I most likely will be wrong if I start speculating that the rules want to disarm people to just get rid of self-reliant people (who can not be scared easily), or to disarm people to make sure people do not resist if... etc. But whatever the reason is, we all have the evidence of their goal. Hence all media coverage is serving this goal: to condition populace, and create "social standars" supporting their goal.

Media efficieny: is media real threat, or we can efficiently counter media from our side?

To my regret, it is, and we can counter, but only to a small extent. You need mass audience, and you need your sentiment repeated to a mass very many times. And not in a form insighting people to use logics. Nope. It should be plain, and without need of any mental work on the side of your audience. Simple to the level of bogus. Like Eisenhower's capmaign slogan: "I like Ike". It carries nothing. But it (allegedly) won the election. I feel, many on this thread are as old as I am. Remember movies of 50th? Everywhere in these movies people were spoking. On the planes, in offices, on the streets, in restaurants. It was a norm. Then mass media rather quickly shifted populace norm. It became offensive, and somewhere illegal to smoke. We as a nation "quit smoking". I am not going to say it is bad: I quit smoking myself (after being smoker for several decades), not because of that campaign, though. And though I consider that beneficial for me personally, I would like you to ignore benefits, and focus on what media can do to the norm of life and social acceptability of something in populace mind. This is awfully big threat if you ask me. Threat to my, and our grandkids' 2A rights.

Another front where we loose: new generation, our children, or for folks like me: grandchildren

State/government took over education system. It is great, we don't have to pay for highschool education of our children, right? Nope, it is paid for with our money taken from us as taxes. But now we have no ruling in what is done to our children. And they are being indocrinated the way state needs them to be. To perpetuate those who rule our lives. I may be too sceptical, but you can just ask highschool kids youself what they were taught at school about US Constitution. Or what is the difference between Democracy and Constitutional Republic. Be careful to separate their knowledge given at scool from knowledge they got outside of the school. You most likely will see what I see.

Keep Workig!

There are two ways to deal with a threat. Like ostrich, dig your head in sand so you can't see the therat (did I name the bird correctly?). Or just get composed and face the threat with all you got, knowing that ether you win or you die (figurally speaking, of course). Yes, with all you got, the threat is indeed that grave. There is no compromise with the enemy. Stalin made peace pact with Hitler, didn't work hor him. Join 2A group you like, and support them, do grassroot work, whatever you can. I am life member of NRA, darn, I feel they stabbed me in the back by being the ones who first said: ban bumpstocks. Now Gun Owners of America tries to undo the damage, and it is GOA I support these days. In any event, whatever pro 2A organization you choose, great, just do not be passive. Do not be a free rider. One of my friends happened to be a free rider (and I gave up on him as far as firearms are concerned)
    Bikenut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunenthusiast View Post
    -snip-

Keep Workig!

There are two ways to deal with a threat. Like ostrich, dig your head in sand so you can't see the therat (did I name the bird correctly?). Or just get composed and face the threat with all you got, knowing that ether you win or you die (figurally speaking, of course). Yes, with all you got, the threat is indeed that grave. There is no compromise with the enemy. Stalin made peace pact with Hitler, didn't work hor him. Join 2A group you like, and support them, do grassroot work, whatever you can. I am life member of NRA, darn, I feel they stabbed me in the back by being the ones who first said: ban bumpstocks. Now Gun Owners of America tries to undo the damage, and it is GOA I support these days. In any event, whatever pro 2A organization you choose, great, just do not be passive. Do not be a free rider. One of my friends happened to be a free rider (and I gave up on him as far as firearms are concerned)
    I agree. Do something positive for the right to bear arms even if that positive thing is to just not join with (virtue signal?) the anti gunners spouting negative things about fellow gun folks.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I agree. Do something positive for the right to bear arms even if that positive thing is to just not join with (virtue signal?) the anti gunners spouting negative things about fellow gun folks.
    Is calling people who disagree with your particular vision with the RTKBA anti-gunners helping included in the something positive of which you speak?
    OD*, Cuda66 and Rotorflyr like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by gunenthusiast View Post
    I have learned it long ago, folks. Someone can be a great professional, and simultaneously ultimate piece of crap as a person. And yes, there are many free riders, and this community is not exemption.
    Free riders? Define that for us, if you'd be so kind.

ETA, I found this in another previous post from you so I understand your terminology and definition of "free rider" presently as posted below.

"In any event, whatever pro 2A organization you choose, great, just do not be passive. Do not be a free rider. One of my friends happened to be a free rider (and I gave up on him as far as firearms are concerned)"

Did you mean to suggest if one isn't proactively involved with a pro 2A org., or one doesn't exercise some right like OC every chance they get within the letter of the law, one is a free rider?

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links