May Have to Start OCing

May Have to Start OCing

This is a discussion on May Have to Start OCing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My neighbor from across the street came up to us as wife and I were leaving our project house. Evidently a new neighbor has been ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: May Have to Start OCing

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar

May Have to Start OCing

My neighbor from across the street came up to us as wife and I were leaving our project house. Evidently a new neighbor has been checking out the truck in the driveway and the house, several mornings from about 10 to noon. I may have to start open carrying when I go there to check the mail box across the street and work on the house.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    My neighbor from across the street came up to us as wife and I were leaving our project house. Evidently a new neighbor has been checking out the truck in the driveway and the house, several mornings from about 10 to noon. I may have to start open carrying when I go there to check the mail box across the street and work on the house.
    What do you intend to accomplish?

I'd go with obvious security cameras.

...Or try to make a new friend.

Ask him what he's looking for.
    He'll either tell you honestly, or he'll understand that you're onto him and be warned off.

Just don't be confrontational.
    Instead, be conversational.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    @M1911A1 speaks for me too.
    DZUS likes this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    What do you intend to accomplish?

I'd go with obvious security cameras.

- Cypher is correct here
    - conspicuous cams
    - conspicuous signs stating you have cams

- that will do the trick 99.9% of the time..

- oh and lights too for night-time

CLASS3NH, montejames and DZUS like this.

Neighbor will see the gun and just adjust tactics. Like the others said, get a camera.

Maybe send the guy a snapshot of him checking out your stuff along with a note that says "Sorry I missed you, was there something you needed?"
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    ...Or try to make a new friend.

Ask him what he's looking for.
    He'll either tell you honestly, or he'll understand that you're onto him and be warned off.

Just don't be confrontational.
    Instead, be conversational.
    This^^^^^^

If it's another home owner from the neighborhood, you want to take the peace over righteousness approach. You always want to be on good terms with your neighbors, whether you like them or not.

Keep it concealed.

Name:  Nothing.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  2.7 KB
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Why not just get a CCW sash?
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Like other said, just ask the guy if he needs something. Could be curious no?

I have a few nosy neighbors and nothing really surprises me anymore.
    DZUS likes this.

What will most likely deter the guy from bad action is your presence projecting strength, awareness and decisiveness. I wouldn't advise you to depend on a visible gun to accomplish that for you. It won't.
    G-man*, DZUS, gasmitty and 1 others like this.

Go over to his house with a $10 bill. Tell him you found it under your truck and you thought it might be his.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    baren likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Hey if you want to open carry then oc and more power to you!!! If your going to oc to "send" a message to a neighbor or intimidate a neighbor then I personally think your being a lousy representative for the gun community. If your oc so the guy doesn't get the "jump" on you isnt he going to take you out first since your advertising or some such argument??
    wmhawth and M1911A1 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Hey if you want to open carry then oc and more power to you!!! If your going to oc to "send" a message to a neighbor or intimidate a neighbor then I personally think your being a lousy representative for the gun community.
    Agreed on both counts.

If your oc so the guy doesn't get the "jump" on you isnt he going to take you out first since your advertising or some such argument??
    This the most oft-quote bit of unsubstantiated hype against OC I've seen during the last decade I've seen both sides debate OC. To date, there remains absolutely zero statistically significant evidence that you're any more likely to be a target just because your firearm is visible, and considerable evidence to the contrary.

Thought experiment:

A robber spies to people walking along the sidewalks at opposite sides of the block. One is OC, the other isn't showing. Given known annual averages, he knows there's only a 1 in 85 chance the guy who isn't showing is carrying a firearm (yes, those are indeed national averages).

The robber:

A) Takes his chances with the guy he knows with 100% certainty is carrying a firearm.

B) Takes his chances with the guy he knows with reasonably certain only has a 1.2% chance is carrying a firearm.

Remember the old adage: "There are many fish in the sea." While tangle with a shark on one side of the boat when there's a tuna on the other side of the boat?

Robbers don't go after carriers in an attempt to procure a firearm. They put on their burglary hats and break into vehicles and homes, instead.

Out of all the guns used in Chicago's murders, what percentage of them were taken away from someone who OC's?

Exactly.
    Rabbit212 and Rock and Glock like this.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Agreed on both counts.

This the most oft-quote bit of unsubstantiated hype against OC I've seen during the last decade I've seen both sides debate OC. To date, there remains absolutely zero statistically significant evidence that you're any more likely to be a target just because your firearm is visible, and considerable evidence to the contrary.

Thought experiment:

A robber spies to people walking along the sidewalks at opposite sides of the block. One is OC, the other isn't showing. Given known annual averages, he knows there's only a 1 in 85 chance the guy who isn't showing is carrying a firearm (yes, those are indeed national averages).

The robber:

A) Takes his chances with the guy he knows with 100% certainty is carrying a firearm.

B) Takes his chances with the guy he knows with reasonably certain only has a 1.2% chance is carrying a firearm.

Remember the old adage: "There are many fish in the sea." While tangle with a shark on one side of the boat when there's a tuna on the other side of the boat?

Robbers don't go after carriers in an attempt to procure a firearm. They put on their burglary hats and break into vehicles and homes, instead.

Out of all the guns used in Chicago's murders, what percentage of them were taken away from someone who OC's?

Exactly.
    How many people legally OC in Illinois?
    OD*, G-man*, Wavygravy and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links