Now using gun owners to convince others to not exercise their 2nd amendment - Page 2

Now using gun owners to convince others to not exercise their 2nd amendment

This is a discussion on Now using gun owners to convince others to not exercise their 2nd amendment within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He supports his ultimate conclusion with the following reasons [1] - [7]. None are persuasive. This is an article based on emotion, not logic. But ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Now using gun owners to convince others to not exercise their 2nd amendment

VIP Member
    He supports his ultimate conclusion with the following reasons [1] - [7]. None are persuasive. This is an article based on emotion, not logic.

But over time, I learned something that I wish more gun owners knew: Carrying a gun isnít all itís cracked up to be. [1]I learned that most people I encountered actually didnít feel better knowing that I had a gun. And, though I tried to keep it concealed in a hip holster under a shirt or jacket, the people who inevitably did glimpse it frequently [1]wondered why I had it and whether my gun or my presence put them in danger Ė like the staff and customers who panicked at that Walmart in Missouri. Even the people who knew and trusted me Ė knowing that I was a responsible gun owner who had been threatened Ė [2]wondered if being near me in public exposed them to the same danger in which Iíd found myself.

I also learned that carrying a gun Ė even with a license, training and a real need for it Ė [3] doesnít make me as worthy of that responsibility as real cops and soldiers are, and [4] it didnít make me an action movie hero. Yes, I had a real, articulable need to carry a firearm and I carried one of the best made and engineered handguns available on my hip Ė [5] which would have been super cool to 16-year-old me, but [6] I didnít have the training or responsibility of a real cop and [7]I wasn't any Jason Bourne.
    [1] One should not carry to make others "feel better"

[2] Whether you had the gun or not is irrelevant to the fact that a person near you might become collateral damage in a gang attack

[3] Any one citizen is no less worthy of self protection than a cop or soldier; and a private citizen carrying a gun should not carry for the same reasons a cop or soldier carries

[4] No person should carry to be an "action movie hero." This is an irrelevant point.

[5] This is why carrying has a minimum age requirement; people mature as they age

[6] You are not a cop, and by carrying you are not entrusted with the responsibilities of a police officer

[7] See [4] and [5]
    Brad426, Havok, Hoganbeg and 1 others like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

I carry for different reasons on different days, usually a combination of them.

But I carry.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

I learned that most people I encountered actually didnít feel better knowing that I had a gun. And, though I tried to keep it concealed in a hip holster under a shirt or jacket, the people who inevitably did glimpse it
    Idiot. People around you should never know you're carrying if you're doing it right. Sounds like he was bragging about it to people, and brandishing it by exposing it. Dude didn't take to his CC training very well.
    ep1953 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    There is a number of gun owners out there who have only a gun or two, often an old shotgun and maybe a deer rifle and rarely, if ever, hunts. I've encountered those types who believe that nobody needs anything more. I guess they do count as gun owners but they're certainly not firearms enthusiasts or likely knowledgeable around the 2nd.

In the case of the person in this story, Greg Hunter, he states " knowing that I could slide that holster under my belt and carry my gun if I really felt the need to do so", he may one day find that he needs the gun on a day he didn't feel the need to strap it on and the consequences most dire.
    They view guns as a magic talisman that will keep the bad guys away.

Hereís the link direct to NBC News page https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...on-ncna1054396

If you try it you might find this loads faster than via the app (and prolly via FB but I donít go there anymore).

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

The claimed author, Greg Hunter, appears simply an outspoken talking head. But I suspect heís not speaking his own mind here. This ďopinion pieceĒ, with its carefully curated linked pieces, is orchestrated by an invisible hand opposing 2A. Nothing balanced in the presentation, all one-sided opiniůn.

He admits he had articulated justification to carry. Too bad he doesnít also admit his concealment failure is an aberration, unless it wasnít - he liked the machismo of carrying, until he didnít. Two years ago I owned 9 or 10 times the editorial page of a small organization (16,000 members) and didnít once outline why I value EDC. It wasnít truly my bully pulpit, so wasnít my place to put this out there. Perhaps I was remiss though in not asking my friends and customers if I had wronged them with my concealed carry because I ďforce everyone else around me to have to think about itď. What baloney!

His article is Valueless to me except to provide perspective on another form of opposition. And his article informs me against reading his drivel again.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I was at Walmart here in town and picked up on some Ammo..The case was FULL!.. Always Carry,Never Tell!.
    Sister and Hoganbeg like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    I was at Walmart here in town and picked up on some Ammo..The case was FULL!.. Always Carry,Never Tell!.
    I was at Walmart yesterday. Ammo case was being restocked after a run on ammo last week.
    Talking to the clerk, the distribution centers are pushing the ammo out ASAP and the 'offending calibers' will not be restocked once it's gone.
    Saw 3 customers open carrying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I may not need a seat belt, emergency lighting, spare tire, alarm system, locked doors, bottled water, or fire extinguisher on any given day, but it doesn't mean I don't use them or have them ready should the need arise. The fact the author of the opinion piece clearly has a skewed view when it comes to gun rights and self defense doesn't mean I choose to follow his lead. Nor would I expect anyone else on THIS forum to follow suit.
    SAXDM9, Workaholic and since9 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    NBC, why am I not surprised.
    ep1953 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I wish people like this could just leave me/us the heck alone. I don't judge or have any say in how having a permit and a gun in a safe and never using them again makes this person feel better. Why in the world do you hope " my fellow Americans would come to the same conclusion. " Why is it your concern? Do you care that I drink Dr.Pepper instead of Pepsi? The TV channels I watch? I of course know what this is really about it just makes me frustrated. YOU DO YOU.
    OD* likes this.

Like my wallet, eyeglasses and cell phone, I never leave home without it.

I get more of a stomach drop feeling in my gut from forgetting my pistol than I do my wallet these days.

I learned that most people I encountered actually didnít feel better knowing that I had a gun.
    I dont know why people seem to think anyone cares whether other people approve of their decision to carry. When I put my gun on my hip, Ive never once thought "I wonder if the lady at walmart would approve of me protecting my family in this manner".

Im going to guess this guy shot a gun for the first time shortly before writing this article.
    OD* likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Yep, he bases his beliefs (allegedly) on one agent's opinion and then uses faulty logic to sustain it. I also think that if MS 13 was threatening me I'd want more gun than a .380 !
    OD* and ep1953 like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

The author is Gregory T. Hunter, an Arlington, VA attorney whose Twitter signature says "Obstructing justice in Northern Virginia." He is a radical left wing pundit, rabidly anti-Trump and anti-McConnell. The story he told seems to be true. He represented Brenda Paz, a former MS-13 member who turned informant, but was assassinated before she could testify. Then for some reason, he became a witness in the trial against MS-13, although the ins and outs of that puzzle me.

He is trying to sound like a "reasonable gun owner" here, but he is an extreme alt-lefty.
    Hoganbeg and Mike1956 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links