Flap Holster - Page 2

Flap Holster

This is a discussion on Flap Holster within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by G26Raven I use a Safepacker made by The Wilderness for hiking and hunting. It is essentially a variation of the flap holster ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Flap Holster

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I use a Safepacker made by The Wilderness for hiking and hunting. It is essentially a variation of the flap holster design. I originally used one in California where I had a carry permit so that I didn't freak out all the tree huggers when my wife and I hiked together. It provides good protection from dirt and falls, but the material and design is not waterproof. I also carried this way in Yellowstone.

I wear the Safepacker on the waistbelt of my hunting pack. For me, it's more practical than a chest rig because I normally have my binoculars mounted where a chest rig would be located.
    I have one of those also. I might get some a couple others. They are great for summer. People don't give them a second glance.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I had Rob at Tucker Gun Leather to make me Field Holster for my G-26.
    He took a normal OWB holster and covered it with Nylon type material and Velcro.
    It works and serves the purpose for protecting the gun when I am doing dirty, dusty, muddy, nasty work in the yard or around the place.
    Not a fast draw rig - but that is not what I wanted for a rig to allow me to carry in a very nasty work environment.
    rx7sig likes this.

Lifetime Member
    National Rifle Association
    Texas State Rifle Association
    Gun Owners of America Association

I have three, one of them I actually use.

One came with the 1881 Reichsrevolver that I inherited. The weapon still sits in it but obviously I don't carry that weapon.
    The other came with the 1911 I found in a pawn shop .... it's 101 years old this year and I still shoot it routinely.

The third came with a .22 revolver i acquired .... an HR Sportsman 999. I use this one ... when I'm on the property in the woods I'll carry it with low velocity rounds in case I come across a slithery critter I'd rather not have around. No concern to draw quickly so it doesn't concern me to carry it around like that.
    rx7sig likes this.
    Retired USAF
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It's been over a month since your original post so I'm wondering if you've made a decision on a flap-type holster. Some of us use them when we're in the field or want some added protection for our weapon in an OWB holster. Here are some Purdy options worthy of consideration... https://www.purdygear.com/da-field-holster-gallery
    rx7sig likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Add me to the list of Safepacker users. Depending upon how it is worn or carried, and how one is otherwise dressed, it can look a bit militant, quite neutral, or even a bit fabulous.

The Safepacker can fit the definition of “open carry” in some jurisdictions, even if the weapon, itself, is not visible, as the Safepacker can meet the definition of a holster, as well as a gun “case.”

Quote Originally Posted by URIT View Post
    It's been over a month since your original post so I'm wondering if you've made a decision on a flap-type holster...
    Thanks for the link, URIT. BTW, I was simply seeking info. I wasn't intending to make a purchase right away. However, I am still on the hunt for a flap holster, in leather, with muzzle end sewn closed, that would fit a 1970's-era Army surplus canvas utility belt, that I could wear on the outside of a coat. I might have to have one made.

rx7sig

When I backpack and/or hike in the back country, I most often use a military Bianchi flap holster with a military web belt. As often as not, I am carrying a 1911.
    rx7sig and Rexster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post
    When I backpack and/or hike in the back country, I most often use a military Bianchi flap holster with a military web belt. As often as not, I am carrying a 1911.
    Reminds me of the time a neighboring camper asked me in a rather disdainful manner, "So, why are you carrying a gun, anyway?"

My answer: "Bear, cougar, bobcat, wolves, coyotes and mountain lion, Ma'am. Dozens of attacks each year." I thought for a second, then added, "And rabid animals. They attack more."

The look on her face was AWESOME!
    Goldy49 likes this.
    The only way we're going beat this thing is by fighting on both fronts: Against the virus and for our economy. Learn to use and use the right procedures so we can do both and win.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links