Flap Holster

Flap Holster

This is a discussion on Flap Holster within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here use a flap holster? If so, can you elaborate? Type of pistol? Make/model/style/mode of carry, of flap holster? When (i.e., what situations)? ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Flap Holster

Flap Holster

Does anyone here use a flap holster? If so, can you elaborate? Type of pistol? Make/model/style/mode of carry, of flap holster? When (i.e., what situations)? Etc.

TIA.

rx7sig

Only when I was in the military.
    rx7sig likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Yup. Only when I served. Wouldn’t want one now. Too hard to use. Especially when there are so many good holsters out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rx7sig likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I used one in the military. I have one. It is the military version. Had it over 20 years. Used it less than a dozen times. They are ok for nasty weather if you don't have a garment covering the gun.
    LimaCharlie, Goldy49 and rx7sig like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    They're called widowmakers for a good reason...
    rx7sig likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    They are ok for nasty weather if you don't have a garment covering the gun.
    Stevew,

Yes, I was wondering if people use them for activities like hiking/backpacking, motorcycling, etc., when heavy/heavier coats are required, especially in inclement weather.. They would help keep the pistol out of the elements, but still allow them to be reasonably accessible, no?

Thanks,

rx7sig

VIP Member
    I still use one when backpacking .
    Especially useful in downpours ar in the desert or climbing when I want my sidearm more secure I’d I should take a tumble down the mountain.
    Would never use for EDC.
    I will take my chances out in God’s country it quick draw is not a priority.
    I know some will say too slow if you are confronted by a bear.
    But I have been backpacking for over 45 years and have not come close to having to kill a predator where quick draw was necessary
    rx7sig, Goldy49, airslot and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I have an Uncle Mike's flap holster for my 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk's. I primarily use it for hunting. Used to use it on the 4 wheeler strapped to the left side of the fuel tank butt forward. It protects the pistol from getting banged up, but isn't much good for protection from the elements.

For an SD weapon, it would probably be one of the last holsters I would consider.
    rx7sig likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    Does anyone here use a flap holster? If so, can you elaborate? Type of pistol? Make/model/style/mode of carry, of flap holster? When (i.e., what situations)? Etc.

TIA.

rx7sig
    Yes. Not for EDC carry of course but for rough trails and bad weather in the great outdoors. The one shown here is a Universal Military holster. It's from Bianchi but I picked it up at a yard sale some 15 years ago. It's served me well for its intended use. This one carrys my GP100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flap Holster-100_1636.jpg  

Flap Holster-100_1639.jpg  

nj709, WC145, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Bill

I have a few that I often use when working around our farm and also when hunting or fishing, particularly in warmer weather when I'm not wearing a coat to cover and protect my gun from getting knocked around or getting dirt and hay and stuff all over it. I have two for 1911s, a leather Tex Shoemaker and a nylon Bianchi UM84/M12 military style. I also have a Bianchi that will fit my GP100 revolver.

For those dismissing flap holsters, it's important to remember that not every handgun is carried concealed, not every handgun must be poised for immediate action, and that for much longer than the CCW surge that the civilian gun world has experienced over the last 25 or so years handguns were most often carried by outdoorsmen and protecting a gun from the elements was an important consideration. They're not gunfighter fast but with a little practice you won't be fumbling around to draw your gun and, obviously, you wouldn't choose one when draw speed may be of the essence.
    Attachment 315930

I don't have a pic with a gun inside the Bianchi but here's one with a TRP posing on top of it-
    Attachment 315932
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flap Holster-20190928_080605.jpg  

Flap Holster-20160925_150341.jpg  

airslot, nj709, ugh762x39 and 5 others like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

I use a flap chest holster like this whenever I am out and about in the woods. My gun is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk® 4⅝" barrel 41 Remington Magnum...
    https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co...-chest-holster
    rx7sig likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    43 years making leather holsters for customers in all 50 US states and 33 other countries. Full flap holsters are not at the top of the popularity list, but they certainly have a place. Reasonably good protection against the elements, best possible protection against damage in the woods (short of packing the handgun away in a backpack or something like that). I sent quite a few to Alaska, some customers in Canada, I remember some field engineers in the Scandinavian countries, as well as farmers and ranchers needing to keep a handgun reasonably handy but protected.

Every holster design involves compromises among the 4 basic factors of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealment. Whenever one factor is emphasized there will be compromises of the other factors. There is no such thing as the perfect holster for every use or for every user. Only you can decide which factors are most important for your needs and how much compromise you are willing to accept.

I have been retired over 4 years now but my company (Lobo Gun Leather) continues under the ownership of a great family of leather craftsmen. I am very happy with the levels of quality and customer service. This is not an advertisement; I have no financial interest in the business at all, although I remain as a consultant as needed. For those having the need a quick google search will lead to the company website featuring over a dozen different holster designs for just about any need.

I use a Safepacker made by The Wilderness for hiking and hunting. It is essentially a variation of the flap holster design. I originally used one in California where I had a carry permit so that I didn't freak out all the tree huggers when my wife and I hiked together. It provides good protection from dirt and falls, but the material and design is not waterproof. I also carried this way in Yellowstone.

I wear the Safepacker on the waistbelt of my hunting pack. For me, it's more practical than a chest rig because I normally have my binoculars mounted where a chest rig would be located.

Flap Holster-screen-shot-2020-03-03-5.44.09-am-copy.jpg
    wmhawth, Jackdaw, WC145 and 3 others like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

I have some old school BHP ones from the Euro police etc ..I wont ever use one as other noted way way too slow to draw from .

In Euro lands when these were a thing pistol were a sign of rank etc only really used to shoot the odd person who did not want to be in the army ...So speed and draw was not a big deal ..
    rx7sig and ugh762x39 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Just got this combo...looking forward to trying it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flap Holster-d8ebdbf7-40af-41e8-8bfb-87c182bc0aea.jpeg  

Goldy49, TSKnight, rx7sig and 2 others like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links