Emergency and Disaster Management

Emergency and Disaster Management

This is a discussion on Emergency and Disaster Management within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; A new Emergency and Disaster Management Masters Program. This is an interesting premise. Georgetown It is super pricey. The key would be employer funding....

Like Tree38Likes
  • 5 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 3 Post By CG11
  • 11 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 8 Post By graydude
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By Gabill
  • 4 Post By DZUS

Thread: Emergency and Disaster Management

Senior Moderator

Post Emergency and Disaster Management

A new Emergency and Disaster Management Masters Program.

This is an interesting premise.

Georgetown

It is super pricey. The key would be employer funding.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    That's an interesting idea. I think to implement and understand such a program would require the wisdom of experience in participation work experience within the scope of that particular discipline.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

I practiced emergency & disaster management for over fifty years. I got a PHD from the school of hard knocks.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I recommend becoming intimately familiar with NIMS before taking a master's program on it, if not already deeply involved in disaster management.

From FEMA: https://www.fema.gov/training-0

Then, I recommend diving into the training expectations for the agency you're interested in. For example, I'm a trained/certified EOC Director for the USAF, and ran more EOC activations than I can remember (specifics here: https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/p...afi10-2501.pdf). I'm also a former Red Cross DAT member, and trained/qual'd in Red Cross shelter operations.

The uniqueness of each of these roles required specific positional training. The master's program from Georgetown may be more oriented toward policy setting and legal frameworks, if that's what you're interested in, but having experience with hands on emergency management would be valuable in having credibility and understanding of how the various gov't and non-profits work together.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I think I will pass! I was involved in Emergency Management Operations during my career as a LEO. I worked in the EOC during more than a dozen hurricanes and tornadoes on the East Florida Coast. Most of what I learned was from actually doing it even though I had completed numerous FEMA and DOJ courses. Like Lima Charlie said above there is no substitute for hands on experience! I am currently a volunteer coordinator for our county Emergency Management Agency. Just my .02 worth!
    Rock and Glock and Gabill like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Two hurricanes running over your house in three weeks followed by a third a month or so later will teach one a lot about emergency prep and management. A piece of paper not so much. It gets blown away.

Florida has made great strides in hurricane prep since 2004, much thanks to former Gov. Scott (About the only good thing he did). Post hurricane recovery is another story. Other than restoring utilities, debris clean up, and gas/food flow, there is only so much that can be done. Repair and rebuilding are not the government's responsibility.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    If I were younger, I would apply for that program.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer
    Member:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    PA Firearms Owners Association
    PA Firearms Owners Against Crime

My code: Survival is not negotiable.

Oldvet, I'm with you. I have spent 39 years as an insurance agent in NE and central Florida. Had 3 hurricanes go over the house in 2004, have help in some way with everyone since then. I might have been interested 20 years ago.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I recommend becoming intimately familiar with NIMS before taking a master's program on it, if not already deeply involved in disaster management.

From FEMA: https://www.fema.gov/training-0

Then, I recommend diving into the training expectations for the agency you're interested in. For example, I'm a trained/certified EOC Director for the USAF, and ran more EOC activations than I can remember (specifics here: https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/p...afi10-2501.pdf). I'm also a former Red Cross DAT member, and trained/qual'd in Red Cross shelter operations.

The uniqueness of each of these roles required specific positional training. The master's program from Georgetown may be more oriented toward policy setting and legal frameworks, if that's what you're interested in, but having experience with hands on emergency management would be valuable in having credibility and understanding of how the various gov't and non-profits work together.

GD, yours is a great story. Good on ya for adding so much value to our security and well-being!

Most of the second half of my career was in emergency planning, preparedness, and response (typically, for chemical emergencies). I loved it, and I went to work every day with the knowledge that people depend on me, and I'm ready. I ran a DOC and was sometimes tasked to the EOC.

NIMS (an extension of the earlier Calif SEMS) is a great unifier among emergency response agencies. It creates a way for folks to organize, plan, and communicate in a response, a critical need that can be lost earlier in an emergency.

And, to your point. "...having experience with hands on emergency management would be valuable in having credibility and understanding of how the various gov't and non-profits work together" is key to being prepared. It's knowing who to call, and knowing that you will get calls, and then knowing how to proceed (without the luxury of time.)

Again, good on ya; and good points to those who might be interested in the emergency planning, preparedness, and response field.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Sponsored Links