S&W 60-14 hammer block binding

This is a discussion on S&W 60-14 hammer block binding within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought a brand new 60-14 for EDC, and when I started testing function at home, the hammer block binds against the bottom of the firing ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By dangerranger
  • 1 Post By forester58
  • 2 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By Vexmaw
  • 1 Post By Vexmaw

Thread: S&W 60-14 hammer block binding

Bought a brand new 60-14 for EDC, and when I started testing function at home, the hammer block binds against the bottom of the firing pin when the gun is tilted to a 90 angle or more, or upside down. I know its the hammer block, because I removed it (dry tests only) and it functions at any angle without it. You can see the block binding against the bottom of the firing pin, hammer moves back maybe 10% of range. Same result in DA or SA. Works as intended when held upright. Rebound block stud and hammer block in correct positions. Block appears to fit well into side plate. No burrs or debris.

Calling S&W on Monday, but wanted to probe the minds here to see if anyone had a similar issue. Gun is unfired, NIB.

Planning to carry as an EDC, I need it to work as if I was on my side or back (knocked down/disabled). I had a 637 Airweight that I actually fired upside down from the ground at my range, so they can function in that manner.

Thank you all for any input. (Currently at work, no photos available at the moment)

I don't normally shoot my guns upside down or backwards, so I've got nothing. My money says S&W says stop doing that.
    Vexmaw, Bad Bob and Old Man like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'd send it back. I don't want any reason for it not to fire when I pull the trigger. I have a 642 with the lock. It has not given me any trouble at all. And it works just fine upside down. DR
    Vexmaw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I am not familiar with the S&W hammer block but, more of a Ruger transfer bar person but, you're right that it should operate at any angle.
    Vexmaw likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexmaw View Post
    Bought a brand new 60-14 for EDC, and when I started testing function at home, the hammer block binds against the bottom of the firing pin when the gun is tilted to a 90 angle or more, or upside down. I know its the hammer block, because I removed it (dry tests only) and it functions at any angle without it. You can see the block binding against the bottom of the firing pin, hammer moves back maybe 10% of range. Same result in DA or SA. Works as intended when held upright. Rebound block stud and hammer block in correct positions. Block appears to fit well into side plate. No burrs or debris.

Calling S&W on Monday, but wanted to probe the minds here to see if anyone had a similar issue. Gun is unfired, NIB.

Planning to carry as an EDC, I need it to work as if I was on my side or back (knocked down/disabled). I had a 637 Airweight that I actually fired upside down from the ground at my range, so they can function in that manner.

Thank you all for any input. (Currently at work, no photos available at the moment)
    What do you mean by binding against the bottom of the firing pin?

The hammer block has some play due to its slot on the end opposite the firing pin side receiving a pin that protrudes from the rebound slide.

The hammer block can come quite close to the bottom of the firing pin, or perhaps even touch it, if the trigger is pulled back slightly and then then gun is held upside down. This is because the rebound slide will be very close to the "uncocked" position (fully forward), at which the hammer block will actually prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin. This blocking function is by design.

When the gun is fired from a cocked position (single action) or double action, the rebound slide will have been pushed in the backward position, and provide "rebound" when the pressure on the trigger is actually released. When the rebound slide is in the backward position, the hammer block can still move, but it cannot move far enough to block the hammer from striking the firing pin.

Try this: Make sure the gun is unloaded, and then cock the gun for single action firing. Take a toothpick, pin or thin punch and move the hammer block up. It should come nowhere near the firing pin. See below for the two positions. If you hammer block can abut the firing pin when the gun is cocked, something is wrong. On the other hand, if there is still a significant gap (like below), it is functioning fine.

Attachment 298096 Attachment 298098

EDIT: I highlighted your post with respect to "10% of range." It reads as if you are pulling back the hammer, but not cocking it, and watching the firing pin block. From what I read, your hammer block is functioning properly.

When the trigger breaks in double action or the cocked position, the hammer will travel and hit the firing pin and the rebound slide will not move from the reward position until the finger pressure is released. Thus, the hammer block will not interfere, because the rebound slide is rearward. When you pull the hammer back slightly, the rebound slide begins to move from the forward position, and thus the hammer block will be very close to the firing pin. Turning the gun upside down may cause the the hammer block to fall toward the firing pin. This is by design.
    Vexmaw and Old Man like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Thank you all for your input. I believe I may have fixed the issue this morning. After reading everything I could find while at work last night, I came home to fiddle/tinker. Ended up being the block binding in the side plate due to a rough finish (not burrs) on the block. I hit it with a maroon scotchbrite and applied a tiny spot of grease. It moves at all angles now.

The block was on/touching the bottom of the firing pin, but the bind was in the side plate. I could knock it loose with a thin hex key from 10%.

Still plan on calling S&W tommorow anyway.

(@PEF, thanks for the time you put into that post.)
    Old Man likes this.

My apologies for the double post, but no thread is complete without pictures.

(Grip screw didn't ship with grips from S&W, and both medallions fell out, reglued with industrial silicone.)

Old Man likes this.

Sponsored Links