How many of us carry/edc medical equipment? - Page 5

How many of us carry/edc medical equipment?

This is a discussion on How many of us carry/edc medical equipment? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think training is a higher priority than equipment. Why? If you are trained, you can see common everyday items as first aid equipment and ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: How many of us carry/edc medical equipment?

I think training is a higher priority than equipment. Why? If you are trained, you can see common everyday items as first aid equipment and you are more likely to have those things with you 24/7. Also, having a first aid kit and not knowing how to use it is pretty much useless.

I got a lot of trauma first aid training in the Navy, along with continual in-service drills when we were on cruise. I also took a Tactical Medicine course at the NRA HQ about three years ago, which was really well done. Furthermore, I took the Red Cross CPR, First Aid and AED course a year ago. I do carry a hiker's first aid kit in my car.
    Kinzei likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I think training is a higher priority than equipment.
    Couldn't agree more! You can definitely do more with knowledge and little to no equipment, than someone with stuff but no idea how to use it.

Though, having both at hand when needed is best case scenario, obviously. And for sure, certain things are easier to improvise than others: pressure dressings can be improvised to a degree, also, there's good ole direct pressure in lieu of that. Chest seals aren't too hard to improvise in an effectual way. Tourniquets are kind of a different story. There's a surprising amount of people walking around with bad info passed down from who knows where. Planning to use things like 550 cord, or boot laces as a tourniquet is silly at best. Even belts, which merely given the average width is slightly less absurd, but demonstrably shown to still be not up to the task of compressing tissue to the degree needed to stop an arterial bleed.

Of course, not everyone can or wants to carry that sort of thing on them and I get that. I mostly take umbrage with the folks who carry a gun, spare mag, flashlight, knife, (even multiples!) etc. yet somehow claim to not have the real estate for medical? Get real.
    @jmf552 , what'd you do in the Navy?
    Kinzei and BamaT like this.

@jmf552 , what'd you do in the Navy?[/QUOTE]
    I thought my avatar and signature line said it all, but maybe you can't see it with the device you're using. A-6 Intruder Bombardier/Navigator '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, (specifically the Iran Hostage Crisis) and later with Libya, Lebanon and Eastern Europe.

As for having room, I hear you, but I only carry a snubby, a Spyderco Delica and a small can of Mace. I consider my iPhone to be my flashlight. But for first aid, I was taught the priority was to keep a trauma victim alive for 20 minutes until the professionals arrive. I think I could do that in most cases with a credit card, a belt, a t-shirt, CPR and possible an AED from a nearby building. I find the stuff in a carriable first aid kit to be not all the useful for something like a gunshot or a knife wound. I do think some duct tape might be helpful. Also whiskey (for me)! BTW, I do not accept any major health insurance plans!

FWIW, one thing that we practiced in the Tactical Medicine class that I'll bet a lot of people haven't practiced: Putting a tourniquet on your own leg while crawling to cover and returning fire! We were on a range using live ammo for that.
    AzQkr and Kinzei like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry a Tricorder and one of these...what?

Name:  RBPRP1767BUlg.jpeg
Views: 160
Size:  21.6 KB
    BamaT likes this.

I thought my avatar and signature line said it all, but maybe you can't see it with the device you're using. A-6 Intruder Bombardier/Navigator '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, (specifically the Iran Hostage Crisis) and later with Libya, Lebanon and Eastern Europe.
    Very cool, I didn't wanna assume anything ;) as a civvy I don't read rank well. A-6 and subsequently the EA-6B are my favorites. Kinda knobby, funny looking, great aircraft.

As for having room, I hear you, but I only carry a snubby, a Spyderco Delica and a small can of Mace.
    Not a bad low-pro setup! I normally carry more, but some days it's hard to beat the snubby for comfort.

I was taught the priority was to keep a trauma victim alive for 20 minutes until the professionals arrive. I think I could do that in most cases with a credit card, a belt, a t-shirt, CPR and possible an AED from a nearby building.
    Yeah, in most places EMT response time is sufficiently fast to the point you or the patient will be at a higher level of care within half an hour. Which is great! Of course, in a defense situation, EMT will likely be staged blocks away for as long as it takes for law enforcement to determine the scene is safe. Which could be longer than you care to rely on improvised medicine at that point.

I find the stuff in a carriable first aid kit to be not all the useful for something like a gunshot or a knife wound.
    Indeed, perhaps it's semantic, but a First Aid Kit does not usually equal a trauma kit. The commercial ones I see that try to mix and match trauma and first aid gear together often balloon in size to the point that it's prohibitive to carrying. In any case, boo-boo stuff shouldn't be riding around with life-saving equipment, imo.

FWIW, one thing that we practiced in the Tactical Medicine class that I'll bet a lot of people haven't practiced: Putting a tourniquet on your own leg while crawling to cover and returning fire! We were on a range using live ammo for that.
    Did a variation of that at the last class I took. It was fun times learning in that environment, but God I'd hate to have to do that for real. Eventually with practice I was able to satisfactorily apply a tourniquet to various extremities one handed in the time allotted (12 seconds) but it was a challenge for sure. And this was using both the CAT TQ and SOFTT-W, two of the easiest to apply! As far as self aid goes, I can't imagine a scenario where someone can improvise a tourniquet (that actually works) one-handed in such a short amount of time. It's just hard to beat a purpose made tourniquet if that's what the injury calls for.

FWIW, if I'm not carrying my usual stuff, regardless of dress I can pretty much ALWAYS carry a TQ either in a velcro ankle holster: https://www.rescue-essentials.com/an...iquet-holster/

Or, lately in the cell phone pocket that's on the side of most of my pants, OR in a Phlster flatpack on the belt or in said pocket: https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/0...uet-made-easy/
    Kinzei likes this.

I think training is a higher priority than equipment. Why? If you are trained, you can see common everyday items as first aid equipment and you are more likely to have those things with you 24/7. Also, having a first aid kit and not knowing how to use it is pretty much useless.

I got a lot of trauma first aid training in the Navy, along with continual in-service drills when we were on cruise. I also took a Tactical Medicine course at the NRA HQ about three years ago, which was really well done. Furthermore, I took the Red Cross CPR, First Aid and AED course a year ago. I do carry a hiker's first aid kit in my car.
    Couldn't agree more Jim,

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Couldn't agree more Jim,
    It's John, but I answer to lots of things!
    AzQkr and RAEIndustries like this.

Sorry about that sir.

I just found out that my company not only requires that I be First Aid and CPR qualified, but they are going to pay for it and host the actual class on site! I've already taken the TCCC class at my local LGS, but this should round out my civilian medical response skills nicely (they are WOEFULLY out of date).
    Kinzei and heymarv like this.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

I carry a RATS tourniquet around my waist and a CAT tourniquet in my first aid/small trauma kit. I'm a licensed paramedic so I have a larger bag at work. I couldn't agree more about the need for training.
    AzQkr, heymarv and jackrock like this.
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; all others are condemned to it.

Pax Armis Acquiritur

G-43
    G-19 gen 4

Good write up on incorporating a tourniquet into your edc.

Week 12/52: Featuring the PHLster Flatpack Tourniquet Carrier and how to add medical to an Intentional EDC - Option Gray

This week we are going to highlight one of the most overlooked pieces of an Intentional EDC ... Medical. Actually, we are going to focus in even more and look at carrying a tourniquet and how to incorporate one into your Primary EDC.
    Kinzei likes this.

Video on theRATS tourniquet that I used to incorporate it into my on body EDC.
    jackrock likes this.
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; all others are condemned to it.

Pax Armis Acquiritur

G-43
    G-19 gen 4

Distinguished Member Array BamaT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaffer View Post
    You're far more likely to need medical equipment than even needing to produce your handgun.

Swat tourniquet in my pocket when I go out.
    So far, in my experience, you would be wrong. I have yet to encounter a need to use medical equipment beyond a bandaid and Benadryl cream, in addition to not being a trained paramedic. On the other hand, I have had my life directly threatened twice, been followed by someone who thought it was funny to try to run me off the road, and had a dope deal going down in a house that recently burned, right across from my house. That could very well change tomorrow; I'm simply pointing out my experience has been totally opposite from that stated above.
    NRA Life Member

Just a friendly neighborhood reminder that tampons are not life-saving equipment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS1SWAOBtdB/
    jackrock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    Just a friendly neighborhood reminder that tampons are not life-saving equipment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS1SWAOBtdB/
    Not to mention that tampons are designed to pull blood and other fluids OUT of the body. In a casualty care scenario, the point is to keep blood and fluids INSIDE the body!
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links