How many of us carry/edc medical equipment? - Page 6

How many of us carry/edc medical equipment?

This is a discussion on How many of us carry/edc medical equipment? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my car; USGI TQ from 1990's(which I just found out have issues and needs replaced), one small elastic/velcro one, A couple large pressure bandages, ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: How many of us carry/edc medical equipment?

In my car; USGI TQ from 1990's(which I just found out have issues and needs replaced), one small elastic/velcro one, A couple large pressure bandages, some smaller ones and assorted F/A stuff. Cuzz ya just never know. If something happens I'd want to be an asset vice a liability...
    heymarv likes this.

If I was wiser I would carry something on me. At least I have a good kit in my truck.

Outcomes excellent for tourniquets and hemostatic gauze in rural civilian populations

Overall, 98 percent of tourniquets successfully controlled arterial bleeding from blunt force trauma and penetrating wounds.
    "We need to convey to prehospital providers that tourniquets don't increase morbidity. It's true that if a C-A-T isn't fastened tightly enough to result in arterial occlusion, it can cause increased venous bleeding, and that can be a significant problem. You can't partially apply a tourniquet;
    In the Mayo Clinic study, QuikClot gauze stopped bleeding in 89 percent of patients and was effective for head and neck injuries as well as for junctional and extremity wounds that were inappropriate for tourniquets.
    Pretty good read. Notably absent was the recommendation to use tampons in lieu of other adjuncts. ;)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-p...an-populations
    Kinzei and Trigus like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I carry a well stocked kit in my truck. Not going to carry a medical pack on me, there just comes a point where - at least at this point in my life - I can't carry all that stuff, nor do I wish to.
    munch520 likes this.
    "60% of the time...it works every time..." -Brian Fantana

5 Tourniquet myths: 5 myths about Tourniquets ? Trauma Monkeys

Good read, though hopefully this kind of stuff is becoming more common knowledge / ditching old dogma regarding tourniquet use.
    Kennfd and jackrock like this.

I started reading this thread when I joined a while back and now my wife and I both carry tourniquets. We have them in all vehicles and home and on our person. Until reading this thread I did not realize how important they were and thought they were a death sentence if applied and at least an automatic limb amputation. I will not be without one. Thank you @heymarv .
    Last edited by Okeechobee; July 13th, 2017 at 12:14 AM.

I keep a kit in my rig.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Okeechobee View Post
    I started reading this thread when I joined a while back and now my wife and I both carry tourniquets. We have them in all vehicles and home and on our person. Until reading this thread I did not realize how important they were and thought they were a death sentence if applied and at least an automatic limb amputation. I will not be without one. Thank you @heymarv .
    Glad to hear it! I'm definitely not an expert, however I am a strong advocate (as if you couldn't tell!) for getting the training and carrying medical on or as near your person as possible!

I keep a FAK in my car and a few band aides in my backpack. I do not carry a tourniquet and don't really understand the current craze for stuffing your pocket with all sorts of stuff. Pocket knife, cell phone. wallet and 642 with 5 rounds in a speed strip is plenty. If needed my belt works as a tourniquet.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

I carry a tourniquet and gloves in my left cargo pocket when wearing those type pants witch is most of the time. I carry it in a belt pouch when wearing jeans or dress pants.
    heymarv likes this.

I have a med kit in my vehicle.. I don't carry any medical supplies on my person unless I am out in the woods. Then its a CAT, 3m wound closures, Israeli bandage and self adhering gauze.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    In my car; USGI TQ from 1990's(which I just found out have issues and needs replaced), one small elastic/velcro one, A couple large pressure bandages, some smaller ones and assorted F/A stuff. Cuzz ya just never know. If something happens I'd want to be an asset vice a liability...
    Good on ya! I'd definitely recommend replacing that old TQ with a new one for sure. I'm fond of the SOFFT-W by Tactical Medical Solutions and the CAT TQ (Gen 6 or 7) by North American Rescue. Both are pretty robust and easy to use as well as being the tourniquets recommended by the CoTCCC (Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care).
    1911srule, truckie and Kinzei like this.

Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    Good on ya! I'd definitely recommend replacing that old TQ with a new one for sure. I'm fond of the SOFFT-W by Tactical Medical Solutions and the CAT TQ (Gen 6 or 7) by North American Rescue. Both are pretty robust and easy to use as well as being the tourniquets recommended by the CoTCCC (Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care).
    Tactical Medical Solutions is a great resource for gear and training.

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    I ... don't really understand the current craze for stuffing your pocket with all sorts of stuff. Pocket knife, cell phone. wallet and 642 with 5 rounds in a speed strip is plenty. If needed my belt works as a tourniquet.
    I too occasionally find myself carrying my S&W442 a pocket knife, small flashlight and TQ as sort of a minimal carry. Though, I don't know if I'd ever categorize it as, "plenty." I walk out the door knowing I'm gambling that a low-capacity gun will suffice should I need it. The TQ and flashlight are must-haves for me. They can go anywhere in the world without scrutiny. As well, the kind of belts I wear are in no way suited for makeshift tourniquet duty (stiff belt suitable for IWB carry). Most belts aren't up to the task. Though, if your medical plan is based on improv I would encourage anyone to try and make an improvised tourniquet from a belt and see how fast (and well) you can accomplish that. My guess is most people haven't tried.
    truckie and Kinzei like this.

I carry a trauma kit in car and range bag. It's cheap insurance. The former army medic who taught the basic trauma treatment class completely debunked any impression I had about the length of time a tourniquet can be applied. And they have to be very, very tight. The class focused on tourniquet application, pressure bandages, hemostatic gauze application and chest seals.
    heymarv likes this.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links