Drs Urge Learn and Use Tourniquets.

This is a discussion on Drs Urge Learn and Use Tourniquets. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; America’s doctors are recommending cops, firefighters and the general public be trained to use a highly effective and simple technique to stop bleeding caused by ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Drs Urge Learn and Use Tourniquets.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

America’s doctors are recommending cops, firefighters and the general public be trained to use a highly effective and simple technique to stop bleeding caused by bullet wounds and other injuries — a method widely credited with saving lives on both battlefields and city streets.

The decision by the American Medical Association comes days after a gunman opened fire in an Orlando nightclub in a shooting that killed 49 people. Among the survivors was a bartender whose bleeding was largely stanched by a nursing student using an old method that’s gained new attention: a tourniquet.

See link for remainder of article.

https://mymedic.us/blogs/journal/doc...tourniquet-use

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

You would think that they would be training officers on this an issuing them out to every officer. No they would rather issue out a drug to save the lives of users.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

This is the one I carry daily: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCX1D8Y...C1LHM2TV&psc=1

I have different TQs for serious work but the R.A.T.S. is portable enough to always have with me in the civilian world.
    Bad Bob likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    This is the one I carry daily: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCX1D8Y...C1LHM2TV&psc=1

I have different TQs for serious work but the R.A.T.S. is portable enough to always have with me in the civilian world.
    Are their tests out their showing this tq effectiveness? Seems way too thin

We are much more likely to need medical skills than we are a firearm yet a majority of ccw holders don't bother with it. Learning how to apply tq to yourself and others can literally save a life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Havok likes this.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Are their tests out their showing this tq effectiveness? Seems way too thin

We are much more likely to need medical skills than we are a firearm yet a majority of ccw holders don't bother with it. Learning how to apply tq to yourself and others can literally save a life.

Yes, the RATSdidn't do well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27045491

It has to be applied properly - less forgiving than a more traditional battle TQ. I consider it a short term emergency TQ for city/urban scenarios.

Does the red cross teach this and other trauma first aid?

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the reminder. I have C.A.T.S in my truck. But I went out and double checked the rest of my first aid kit.

It looks like the R.A.T.S. is pretty good but "maybe" not quite as good? I'd like to hear from first responders that have used both.
    JD likes this.

I've used CATS and SOF-T in the field, have not used the RATS in the real world yet. Former WEMT, current WFR, old retired fart now.

I carry both a CATS and SOF-T wide in my vehicle kit, the RATS is for pocket carry.

The RATS takes some practice to self administer on an arm. Not a good choice if wearing a lot of gear or otherwise encumbered. I also would not choose it for remote scenarios where one may be some time/distance from accessible EMS. But when I'm out to dinner, goin' to the symphony or walkin' the dog I have a RATS in my pocket.

Distinguished Member Array wsquared's Avatar
    Any opinions on the TK-4 or SWAT-t? I like the extremely compact size of those two options.

Lead Moderator
    I have both the rats and cat TQ. My concern was how well the cat windlass would hold up in cold conditions stored in the truck during winter months.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Does the red cross teach this and other trauma first aid?
    No, Red Cross is basic first aid / BLS etc.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have both the rats and cat TQ. My concern was how well the cat windlass would hold up in cold conditions stored in the truck during winter months.
    Get the SOF-T, it had a metal windlass.

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I have C.A.T.S in my truck. But I went out and double checked the rest of my first aid kit.

It looks like the R.A.T.S. is pretty good but "maybe" not quite as good? I'd like to hear from first responders that have used both.
    There aren't going to be any ems agencies using rats tourniquets. It's big selling point is size and that's not an issue for ems where they have a huge trauma bag.

Plus it appears they don't do well. We use CAT tourniquets and our ambulance service does as well.

Senior Moderator
    I keep CAT tourniquets all over the place. Multiple in the truck, pretty much one in any bag I carry regularly/travel with, usually one on my person, one on all of my first aid kits.

Based on my experiences, they are quite effective. Sure, direct pressure and pressure points can be too, but those often tie up the hands, when a tourniquet allows stopping the blood flow and moving on to other tasks.

Overseas, it was pretty common to carry 3.
    JD likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links