Air rifles

Air rifles

This is a discussion on Air rifles within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dont have an air rifle. Ive been looking at them though for small game and plinking tin cans. Anyone have one? Your experience? I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Air rifles

Air rifles

I dont have an air rifle. Ive been looking at them though for small game and plinking tin cans. Anyone have one? Your experience? I note that manufacturers like Ruger are selling them these days. Might be fun.
    drift likes this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Have a couple. Fun and good for pest control.
    scottync likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I have one I assembled from a Sears kit many years ago, lots of fun for plinking and yes it will kill squirrels. I don’t know who made it but it is stamped “Made in China”. I have thought about getting another and have been looking at Ruger, Beeman, Galco and a few others but have not decided yet there’s just too many available it’s confusing.
    scottync and drift like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

They are cheap fun for plinking. I got a Daisy Powerline Model 880 and 6,000 rounds of ammo for less than $70.00
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Curious... anyone use them for crows?
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

My air rifles have taken more pests than my firearms so far this year.
    How deep do you want to wade in?

Springers/break barrels are awesome and I would recommend an RWS Diana 34 to anyone. I recall posting some groups with it here before. But as my recent posts will tell you, I am a PCP fanboy now. They are so far above other airguns they make the price and extra effort worth it. I made a clean kill with one a few days ago that had been loaded and ready for a couple weeks. You can't do that with a springer.

If you want one for plinking buy what you fancy. Even a fully automatic AR style. But if you want one for pest control get a PCP. Nothing worse that grabbing your springer, cocking it, loading it and having the target disappear. Then having to fire one off into neverland hours later because the spring will lose enough power to make that next shot not hit where you are aiming. IMO anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    I dont have an air rifle. Ive been looking at them though for small game and plinking tin cans. Anyone have one? Your experience? I note that manufacturers like Ruger are selling them these days. Might be fun.
    I have a very nice collection of air rifles and pistols. The Crosman 2240 bolt action CO2 powered pistol is a very good entry level point. They cost about $50.00 on Amazon.
    A CO2 cartridge will last about 40 shots with a pellet velocity of about 450 fps. There are many up grades that can be easily added to up the performance.
    My wife and I shoot very often/daily in an indoor range we have set up. She always beats me but doesn't rub it in too bad!
    I have given 5 or 6 of the Crosman 2240s to youngsters and oldsters alike and all have been used and enjoyed.
    Then on the high end of air rifles are the Barnes air guns at, Untitled Document .

doc
    scottync and 5lima30ret like this.

I bought my air rifle just for plinking. The birds that spend a lot of time in our backyard are very small finches and humming birds. Our pests are skunks, possums, raccoons, and an occasional black bear or cougar.
    scottync likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Curious... anyone use them for crows?
    I haven't, but it'd get the job done... those .177 pellets at 1,300 feet per second are no joke.
    scottync likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Moderator
    I've got 2 spring piston guns, both .177 cal. I started with a pump-up Crosman that was useful for eliminating garden pests and squirrels, and I actually wore that gun out. The springers were a step up in quality, power and accuracy, but you really need to look at what your needs are if you are interested in something better than a toy. This is an outfit I trust - Straight Shooters Precision Airguns - and there is a ton of information in their Articles that will get the new airgunner educated.

Beware the guns that are marketed primarily based on their claimed velocity. As you'll learn, airgun power is a function of their powerplant's energy (foot-pounds), and by using a very light pellet, high velocities can be claimed but which don't represent the true performance of the gun. Just about any airgun coming from Germany (RWS, Weihrauch, Feinwerkbau) or England (Daystate, Brocock, Air Arms) will be better in quality than stuff coming from China, but that's just my opinion. Once you get above entry level, things start to even out.

If you can tolerate a substantial initial investment, the pre-charged pneumatics (PCPs) are the way to go. There's no spring going "twang" in your ear on every shot, you won't wear your arm out cocking the gun, and a number of PCPs are repeaters. Springers are known to ruin high-quality scopes because of recoil in two directions, but PCPs eliminate that problem. But you'll need to invest in a scuba-type tank, a gauge, and other accoutrements that easily push the price tag into 4 figures. A friend has close to $2500 in his PCP (including glass), but you can write your name in cursive at 20 yards with that gun and its 4-ounce trigger!

As for power, my Beeman R9 (re-badged Weihrauch HW95, 12 foot-pound energy range) in .177 has reliably killed pigeons at 40 yards, but that's with perfectly still air, shooting from a steady rest, and aiming for center mass. Crows can be pretty tough, and they don't have the fat breast of pigeons, so I wouldn't try a shot on a crow much past that distance. .20 and .22 cal have more arching trajectories, but will retain more energy downrange than the lighter .177 pellets.

Airguns are a ton of fun and their accuracy potential can provide some really good marksmanship challenges such as mini-sniping. You can easily get something decent for well under $200 including a scope to get you started and see if it's for you.
    AzQkr, scottync and 5lima30ret like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I have an old Benjamin pellet rifle. That old design/model has been around for decades. Very effective.
    5lima30ret likes this.

This site has a lot of good classified adds: American Airguns Classified Ads - Classifieds

VIP Member
    I looked into a decent air rifle once, but decided to just run sub sonic CCI's in my Marlin. The report is about like an air rifle, and does handle crows, coons, and possum with no problem. Plus it's quiet enough that I can plink off my deck whenever I want.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Back in my knee high to a weed days (still am, damn chair), I got many a pellet and BB stuck in a few parts of my body. Nothin like playing cowboys and indians with a few air guns.
    msgt/ret and scottync like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotShot View Post
    I have a very nice collection of air rifles and pistols. The Crosman 2240 bolt action CO2 powered pistol is a very good entry level point. They cost about $50.00 on Amazon.
    A CO2 cartridge will last about 40 shots with a pellet velocity of about 450 fps. There are many up grades that can be easily added to up the performance.
    My wife and I shoot very often/daily in an indoor range we have set up. She always beats me but doesn't rub it in too bad!
    I have given 5 or 6 of the Crosman 2240s to youngsters and oldsters alike and all have been used and enjoyed.
    Then on the high end of air rifles are the Barnes air guns at, Untitled Document .

doc
    Those Barnes air rifles look awesome.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links