Any one carry a "Tactical pen" - Page 2

Any one carry a "Tactical pen"

This is a discussion on Any one carry a "Tactical pen" within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Uh..no...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Any one carry a "Tactical pen"

Uh..no

A friend of mine wrote a manual on just this very topic. I'll see if I can find it.
    flh likes this.

I carried a tactical pen during a job where weapons weren't allowed, that and a big Maglite.
    AzQkr and flh like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I always carry a pen anyway so it might as well be one made of aircraft grade Aluminum.

Although I have no scientific way of testing if it is really aircraft grade or not.

But it is tough, knurled, and I don't ever intend to put wings on it.

I only want it for perforating an eye socket and a possible windpipe. Adams Apple on a stick.

As a huge plus....I can actually write things down with it.

You can get them pretty cheap these days.

Prices range from fairly inexpensive to way overpriced. Shop around if you carry a pen anyway.
    AzQkr, flh, kerberos and 3 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    Does this count?

Attachment 222266
    I had one of those in 5th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I thought about it, but most of them look too tactical for my taste. So I bought a decently-built metal pen for about $10 to fill that purpose.

Full disclosure, I have no knowledge of kubotan techniques or anything like that. For me it's just something to jam in a bad guy's eyeball if I can't get to anything else. Turns out it's handy to have a pen around anyway.
    You're just too nice a person to actually jam a pen in someone's eye.

And while you're thinking about it and throwing up in your mouth a little, shouldn't you actually be shooting them instead, I mean, if they deserve eye-stabbin'?? (IOW when would you be carrying your pen when you wouldn't be armed, too?? To me it's not something you can acquire a 'fighting grip' like a handgun, after all).

Just curious. To quote a favorite movie line:

Very few people can be totally ruthless. It isn't easy; it takes more strength than you might believe.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    If I'm down to self defense with a pen, I've screwed up at an amazingly thorough level.
    Now THAT made me laught.

I have one, but don't always carry it. It weights about 4 pounds, empty.
    Have I not commanded you, Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    To quote a favorite movie line:

Very few people can be totally ruthless. It isn't easy; it takes more strength than you might believe.
    Protecting your loved one's ....no limitations ....
    maxwell97 likes this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

I carry a schrade clicky thatís aircraft grade aluminum and looks less tactical than most. In most environments I usually have that, my Fenix TK16, and my ZT-0350. If truly NPE I have the pen and my flashlight. About to resume my FMA training, but itís applicable with my current skill set.
    flh, AzQkr and QKShooter like this.
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; all others are condemned to it.

Pax Armis Acquiritur

G-43
    G-19 gen 4

Most overlooked part of carrying a tactical pen is escape. Get one with a glass breaker. If we're on a ground floor in a NPE with an active shooter you can fight it out with your pen. I'm using the glass breaker on mine to get out and survive. Took a personal safety class where this was the main feature of the pen with defense being secondary. Laminated glass is tough if not impossible to break by using a chair or other heavy item. In effect they're trapped in a kill zone little hope of escape.
    Last edited by msb45; November 2nd, 2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: SP

Quote Originally Posted by msb45 View Post
    Most overlooked part of carrying a tactical pen is escape. Get one with a glass breaker. If we're on a ground floor in a NPE with an active shooter you can fight it out with your pen. I'm using the glass breaker on mine to get out and survive. Took a personal safety class where this was the main feature of the pen with defense being secondary. Laminated glass is tough if not impossible to break by using a chair or other heavy item. In effect they're trapped in a kill zone little hope of escape.
    Did they teach you where one hits the glass to affect an easier break? Actually let you break safety glass with a tac pen?

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    You're just too nice a person to actually jam a pen in someone's eye.

And while you're thinking about it and throwing up in your mouth a little, shouldn't you actually be shooting them instead, I mean, if they deserve eye-stabbin'?? (IOW when would you be carrying your pen when you wouldn't be armed, too?? To me it's not something you can acquire a 'fighting grip' like a handgun, after all).

Just curious. To quote a favorite movie line:

In an NPE, of course. It's been mentioned in this thread previously.

To me it's not something you can acquire a 'fighting grip' like a handgun, after all).

Well of course you can't, it doesn't have the same grip surface. Doesn't mean one can't use one to punch through a throat, eye socket/eye or ear easily enough though. Soft body targets are fair game with a bic pen, let alone a tac pen that's sturdier. Anyone ever show you how to hold one in an ice pick grip with thumb on the end? Or how to hold one between the index and middle finger with one end running along the palm with a closed fist? How that can be used in a punching motion without damaging the hand/palm?

Just a little bit of training in unconventionals is required. Got that in 81, some 36 years ago. Don't be so guncentric in your thinking, it's not a healthy outlook on successfully using common every day items found everywhere around you to take someone out of the fight. I put a guy out for the count who was taken away in an ambulance who broke a beer bottle over my head at an outside bar in Ft Laudrdale with a glass ashtray. He was out for the count when I smashed it into his temple/side of his face. Suffered a few minor cuts from the broken glass. No big deal, I was still viable and he went to sleep.

Vinny, one of the counter terr students I went through SIONICS with in 81 from Prov, RI, took a bikers eye out at the lounge night before we graduated with just his thumb. Put him in a headlock and plucked it out like little jack horner.

"Little Jack Horner
    Sat in the corner,
    Eating a Christmas pie;
    He put in his thumb,
    And pulled out a plum
    And said, "What a good boy am I!"

Easily take an eye from the socket with a thumb, let alone a pen. Why do I always get the impression ugly resides very deep under your skin and hasn't ever been let out to go to work?
    maxwell97, Mike1956 and flh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    Does this count?

Attachment 222266
    Be careful, that will put your eye out.
    drmordo likes this.

With a little bit of training they could be useful as a defensive tool however the one I have I wouldn't want to do much writing with! When I was a cop I carried a stainless Cross pen that was much better as a pen and if needed would have been better than nothing! Just my .02 worth!
    AzQkr likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Moderator
    Roving bands of low-life scum are visiting amusement parks and other NPE's and wrecking some serious violence on families. A pen or two might be very useful. I saw some on Amazon for $20 or so last night.

Also a cane.
    Mike1956, AzQkr and 5lima30ret like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links