Shotgun mounted light - Page 2

Shotgun mounted light

This is a discussion on Shotgun mounted light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by buckeye .45 Part of that will depend on how long your arms are. You will have to have your grip out at ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Shotgun mounted light

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Part of that will depend on how long your arms are. You will have to have your grip out at the very end of the slide to work the light. You also will not be able to use the light while working the action (unless you go with a pressure switch).
    As far as what you have couldnít I get a small section of rail and short screws and just screw it to the factory forend?

Like this guy? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oH647hhADfE

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Honestly, it's personal preference, but I run FOs on my IDPA match pistols and find them faster than straight iron sights. The white light will silhouette whatever sights you have, so during darkness at least it's kind of a wash.

I use ghost Rings, because they came on the gun. They're great for slugs at distance, not much help for buck at closer ranges.

Chuck
    Does the light at 6 oíclock cast any shadow? Iím looking at so many options here I canít hardly keep up with what would work best. Iíve thought about doing something like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oH647hhADfE at around 9 oíclock on the forearm but as it shows in the vid and as buckeye concurred itís gonna cast a shadow. Also thought about this https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-f...ght-mount.html But then Iíll have to reach for the light if I donít mount a pressure switch to the forearm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Shotgun mounted light

I personally prefer the TLR-1... whatever model, Iíd skip the laser.

This is how I have it setup on my TAC-14, but my 870 Police is similar (opposite side, being the way it sits in the mount). Looked at the Surefire forends, but never liked them. Plus, if I take the gun out of use for whatever reason, still can use the weapon light on a pistol or rifle.

I do have a Surefire X300, but actually not a fan. I like Streamlight controls, where you go one way for momentary, other for constant. Not a fan of push for momentary. I got it cheap enough that I will keep it, but I also have a couple TLR-1s (like the newer ones with 800 Lumens, and strobe... even though Iíll likely never use it). I still think I have an Insight M3X that has ran on my 870 for sometime. Held up to the abuse of PDX1 (slug/00 combo).

I did run the light on a Streamlight rail adapter, before I got the Magpul furniture, but rather it move with my hand. No cords to get caught up on, and with it on my 20Ē Police (with the +3 factory extension)... no huge issues with shadow. Is it present? Yea, but the field of view is more than adequately covered by the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Does the light at 6 oíclock cast any shadow? Iím looking at so many options here I canít hardly keep up with what would work best. Iíve thought about doing something like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oH647hhADfE at around 9 oíclock on the forearm but as it shows in the vid and as buckeye concurred itís gonna cast a shadow. Also thought about this https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-f...ght-mount.html But then Iíll have to reach for the light if I donít mount a pressure switch to the forearm.
    In my experience, everything is going to cast a shadow, unless you manage to somehow hang the light even with the muzzle........

There's pros and cons to each position, 6 O'clock is probably the worst for shadow because at a low -ready the shadow will be on the tgt. There's still going to be enough ambient light to see and ID a threat. Other positions will have the shadow in a different area, it's going to happen. Also, other light positions will cause some "challenges" with barricades/cover as you'll have to get he light out past the wall, corner etc. before activating or you'll bounce back. For me 6 o'clock position worked best for using right/left cover. For the carbine I use 12'o'clock as it's barrier neutral and I'f I can see my sights the light (over the barrel) won't be obscured and no light bounce back......

Chances are good you'll end up doing what I did, which is evolve......start out with a flexible light and mount, and sort out what works best for you over time. About the time you reach your version of perfection for the shotgun, you'll switch to a carbine......

The Magpul forearm with a short section of rail will let you play with positioning without added expense.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

In my experience, everything is going to cast a shadow, unless you manage to somehow hang the light even with the muzzle........

There's pros and cons to each position, 6 O'clock is probably the worst for shadow because at a low -ready the shadow will be on the tgt. There's still going to be enough ambient light to see and ID a threat. Other positions will have the shadow in a different area, it's going to happen. Also, other light positions will cause some "challenges" with barricades/cover as you'll have to get he light out past the wall, corner etc. before activating or you'll bounce back. For me 6 o'clock position worked best for using right/left cover. For the carbine I use 12'o'clock as it's barrier neutral and I'f I can see my sights the light (over the barrel) won't be obscured and no light bounce back......

Chances are good you'll end up doing what I did, which is evolve......start out with a flexible light and mount, and sort out what works best for you over time. About the time you reach your version of perfection for the shotgun, you'll switch to a carbine......

The Magpul forearm with a short section of rail will let you play with positioning without added expense.

Chuck
    In theory I like the idea of 9 oíclock as far as turning the light on cause my thumb would be right there for easy on and off and really not having to change my grip at all. Idk how seriously well it works but I like how the guy in the video just used his regular forearm and screwed the rail section directly to it. I know magpul forearms arenít but like $30 or so but still itís $30 ya know. Kinda looking to avoid pressure switches, almost every light I look up that has negative reviews, the negative parts are geared to the pressure switches and not the lights themselves.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I have a short rail that clamps to the mag tube. It also keeps the heat shield in place.
    I need the heat shield as my fingers rub on the (hot) barrel with that forend.
    The heat shield came with ghost ring sights so it has those too.
    I don't recall the brand of (300 lumen) flashlight is on there but it still works after +/- 1,000 rounds.
    (Ignore the carbine & pistol for the purposes of this thread)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    I have a short rail that clamps to the mag tube. It also keeps the heat shield in place.
    I need the heat shield as my fingers rub on the (hot) barrel with that forend.
    The heat shield came with ghost ring sights so it has those too.
    I don't recall the brand of (300 lumen) flashlight is on there but it still works after +/- 1,000 rounds.
    (Ignore the carbine & pistol for the purposes of this thread)

If you get the chance to find out the light brand and model Iíd be interested in knowing. How bout the shell holder on the receiver as well? Iím still torn between receiver shell holder or stock shell holder

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    If you get the chance to find out the light brand and model Iíd be interested in knowing. How bout the shell holder on the receiver as well? Iím still torn between receiver shell holder or stock shell holder
    It will be awhile. I'm on the road until after New Years.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball216 View Post
    I personally prefer the TLR-1... whatever model, Iíd skip the laser.

This is how I have it setup on my TAC-14, but my 870 Police is similar (opposite side, being the way it sits in the mount). Looked at the Surefire forends, but never liked them. Plus, if I take the gun out of use for whatever reason, still can use the weapon light on a pistol or rifle.

I do have a Surefire X300, but actually not a fan. I like Streamlight controls, where you go one way for momentary, other for constant. Not a fan of push for momentary. I got it cheap enough that I will keep it, but I also have a couple TLR-1s (like the newer ones with 800 Lumens, and strobe... even though Iíll likely never use it). I still think I have an Insight M3X that has ran on my 870 for sometime. Held up to the abuse of PDX1 (slug/00 combo).

I did run the light on a Streamlight rail adapter, before I got the Magpul furniture, but rather it move with my hand. No cords to get caught up on, and with it on my 20Ē Police (with the +3 factory extension)... no huge issues with shadow. Is it present? Yea, but the field of view is more than adequately covered by the light.
    Tlr-1 has been holding up well for you? I had a tlr-1 for awhile for a glock 23 but never really put it through any paces. Surefire seems to be the main one recommended practically everywhere for its durability, however it is quite a bit more expensive than the tlr-1.

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    It will be awhile. I'm on the road until after New Years.

Thatís ok Iím not making any decisions until after the holidays anyway, just if you happen to remember next time your around it.

Tlr-1 has been holding up well for you? I had a tlr-1 for awhile for a glock 23 but never really put it through any paces. Surefire seems to be the main one recommended practically everywhere for its durability, however it is quite a bit more expensive than the tlr-1.
    It has... and while it doesnít have the water rating of the Surefire, it is good to go for a shotgun.

Streamlight isnít the best, but Iíve had more problems with Surefire. Had a Scout combo tail cap (plug for pressure switch and button) that did not work at all. Surefire took it back and sent a new one, but they arenít infallible. If Streamlight gives you issues, same customer service situation that will be resolved. Streamlight has been around long enough that I donít have an issue trusting it... as Iíve had them on my guns long enough to trust them.

And this is coming from someone who loves Surefire handhelds. Have two Fury lights (P2X and P3X) within arms reach right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball216 View Post
    It has... and while it doesnít have the water rating of the Surefire, it is good to go for a shotgun.

Streamlight isnít the best, but Iíve had more problems with Surefire. Had a Scout combo tail cap (plug for pressure switch and button) that did not work at all. Surefire took it back and sent a new one, but they arenít infallible. If Streamlight gives you issues, same customer service situation that will be resolved. Streamlight has been around long enough that I donít have an issue trusting it... as Iíve had them on my guns long enough to trust them.

And this is coming from someone who loves Surefire handhelds. Have two Fury lights (P2X and P3X) within arms reach right now.
    My handheld edc light is a streamlight I always keep it on my belt, protac HL with advertised 750 lumens. Itís a yearish old and I havenít had any issues with it. Itís not a hard every day use by any means but I carry everyday to work on the farm. May try the trl first since there is about a $120 difference when comparing new price to new price.

I use 1 Insight Technologies and 5 SureFires.

SureFires are my preferred favorites. I've deployed with them, taken multiple low-light classes (long gun & handgun) and never had an issue with them. They lack some cool features, cost more, but have a simple UI and flat out work when you need them.

For long gun lights, I prefer the pistol type lights. To me they're easier to mount on a short piece of rail and can be moved easily from weapon to weapon or removed completely when practicing to save wear and tear. They also don't way much, nor take up a bunch of real-estate on you gun. I usually mount mine at the 12 o'clock position on an AR, and the 6 o'clock position on my Benelli.

I've read mixed reviews on pressure switches as far as reliability, I have one on a SureFire X400 that sits on my nightstand pistol, it's never given me a problem. The SureFire X series do accept a pressure switch with the addition of a different back plate. This is not a cheap solution, but is the route I would go if I was set on a switch. You're probably looking at around the $350 -400 range for a complete set-up.

Chuck
    One more question, what kind of shell holder are you using on the shotgun? I have an el-cheapo from midway that is the elastic fabric and goes over the stock but idk how I feel about or how long it will last stretched and with shells in it. Curious what would be fastest and easiest for quick reloads between receiver or butt stock? Plastic, rubber, elastic fabric, etc, etc. the cheap midway is pretty stretched fitting over the stock plus each shell holder is stretched with a shell in it as well. Figure after awhile itíll all get loose.

Specter Gear:

Benelli M1/M2/M3 Buttstock Shell Holder

They make them for 500s. It's been on there and loaded for over 10 years, not loose yet. That includes a couple classes, practice and my occasional muskrat hunts around my pond.

Faster depends on what you're used to and how you load. I reload with my right hand, the gun still tucked on my shoulder, held in place by my left hand on the forearm. It's a CAS thing I guess. Other's like the receiver ammo mounts, which can cause problems with the Benelli's aluminum frame IF you over tighten.

Chuck
    AndyC likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links