Sight Recommendations for Tritium/Fiber Optic Fronts

This is a discussion on Sight Recommendations for Tritium/Fiber Optic Fronts within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I apparently have had an undiagnosed astigmatism for quite a while (well, diagnosed as of today). This development really impacts my preferred use of ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sight Recommendations for Tritium/Fiber Optic Fronts

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar

So, I apparently have had an undiagnosed astigmatism for quite a while (well, diagnosed as of today). This development really impacts my preferred use of red dot sights. So...until I get surgery (assuming I am a candidate), I need to re-work some of my firearms to be conventional sights.

I have previously used Warren Tactical Two-Dots (Straight 8 type setup) but would really prefer the front sight to be a fiber optic and tritium setup (Like the Ameriglo TFO/TFX sights). Ameriglo doesn't sell the front sight by itself....so...does anyone have any other recommendations? The sights will be going on M&P M2.0 (Full Size, Compact, and Shield).
    drift likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

I'm a fan of Warren Tactical sights. I've got a set of these on my Glock 17: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...TICAL%2bSERIES

Not sure if Warren makes a fiber/tritium combo front sight or not, but the fiber is pretty bright for my eyes, and without dots or tritium on the rear sight the front stands out quite a bit.

Distinguished Member Array BlackhawkGirl's Avatar
    I started a thread recently because I am looking for replacement sights for my M&P Performance Shield. There were a lot of good recommendations. You might get a few ideas:

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ight-swap.html
    Everything I needed to know in life was captured in one Indiana Jones minute:

https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawkGirl View Post
    I started a thread recently because I am looking for replacement sights for my M&P Performance Shield. There were a lot of good recommendations. You might get a few ideas:

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ight-swap.html
    I contributed to that thread. I only started this one to narrow down sight focus to ones that offer tritium and fiber optic front only. Looks like my crowdsourcing attempt failed!
    BlackhawkGirl likes this.

So are you just looking for a front sight by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    So are you just looking for a front sight by itself?
    Yes sir, I am.

Would the "pro-glo" front sight by Ameriglo fit the bill?

https://ameriglo.com/collections/smi...tritium-fronts

If all else fails that may be an option. I may just suck it up and buy the TFX Pro set and then try to unload the rear sights.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDiablo View Post
    So, I apparently have had an undiagnosed astigmatism for quite a while (well, diagnosed as of today). This development really impacts my preferred use of red dot sights. So...until I get surgery (assuming I am a candidate), I need to re-work some of my firearms to be conventional sights.

I have previously used Warren Tactical Two-Dots (Straight 8 type setup) but would really prefer the front sight to be a fiber optic and tritium setup (Like the Ameriglo TFO/TFX sights). Ameriglo doesn't sell the front sight by itself....so...does anyone have any other recommendations? The sights will be going on M&P M2.0 (Full Size, Compact, and Shield).
    You are saying Ameriglo, but I think you mean Truglo if you are talking the TFO/TFX sights. I got the TFO front sight for my Sig P290RS, from the Sig website. It was only the front site and the packaging said Truglo. Unfortunately, I doubt the Sig sight would fit your gun. I do have to say it's a great sight.

What I would do is call Truglo and see if they will sell you just the front. Honestly, I think it would be worth it to get the front and the back. You may find out you want the back also. Even if you don't, the front is good enough to justify the cost in my book.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    You are saying Ameriglo, but I think you mean Truglo if you are talking the TFO/TFX sights. I got the TFO front sight for my Sig P290RS, from the Sig website. It was only the front site and the packaging said Truglo. Unfortunately, I doubt the Sig sight would fit your gun. I do have to say it's a great sight.

What I would do is call Truglo and see if they will sell you just the front. Honestly, I think it would be worth it to get the front and the back. You may find out you want the back also. Even if you don't, the front is good enough to justify the cost in my book.
    Yes, I meant TruGlo. Doh!

I don't want a two-dot rear setup. I like the single-dot rear by far over the typical two-dot rear.

I'm a fan of Dawson precision. Great customer service and they will work with you to get that perfect sight size for your gun. I plan on switching all my carry guns to Dawson. https://dawsonprecision.com/
    wmhawth likes this.
    A Man's house is his castle

I have a lovely astigmatism myself. The red dot on my AR, if I'm not wearing my glasses, is a wonderful rendition of some 1960's acid induced artwork. So I know of what you speak.

When it comes to "traditional" sights for my handguns, I use XS Big Dots. Even without my glasses I can use em. Moreover, with or without glasses at night I can use em too. They are a lovely thing, but at first I couldn't take em out to distance for some reason. I justified that saying it was ok because my pistols were for fighting distances anyway. Well to heck with that too. Not long ago I popped off 6 rounds out of my single stack at a man sized target out at 100 yards. I got four in center mass - where I was aiming.

Best of luck - don't let the astigmatism stop you. You can work around it. Heck, learn to point shoot if you have to..
    Ezekiel 23:20

For both you, OP and Drift:

I have the same issue, on your long gun, look through the rear aperture sight, it will block most of the excess light entering your eye and give you a much clearer dot. It won't help with a RDS on a handgun.

I've also found that an HUD sight like an EOTech is much worse for me than a RDS with a tube like the T1 or MRO.
    drift and Rockymonster like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Thanks buddy
    matthew03 and Rockymonster like this.
    Ezekiel 23:20

Warren Tactical will sell rears independently so, once TruGlo confirms that the sight is .160 height, I'll buy the TFX Pro set and sell off the rear two dots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links