What Watches are you wearing??? - Page 4

What Watches are you wearing???

This is a discussion on What Watches are you wearing??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go with and without wearing watches for a spell, but I love the G-Shocks. They are tough as heck, relatively inexpensive, and take a ...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree749Likes

Thread: What Watches are you wearing???

I go with and without wearing watches for a spell, but I love the G-Shocks.

They are tough as heck, relatively inexpensive, and take a beating. I have a few, was really into digital, but love the analog and digital as well. Macy's online generally has a good selection and price
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    My daily-use watch is a Wenger "Swiss Army" that I elected from a catalog of mostly trashy stuff my company sent as a reward for 30 years of service. Net value less than one tenth of one percent of my current annual compensation, demonstrating how much this Fortune 100 company values my contributions. Rough-use watch is a Timex Expedition, and the dress watch is a really handsome Victorinox my lady got me 2 years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Watches are you wearing???-daily-watch.jpg  

Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

My choice is pretty pedestrian, I'm afraid. I just wear a Timex Expedition Indiglo, always with a silicon band. Generally I get three to five years out of one, and when it breaks I get another one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gitaryzt1985 View Post
    Anybody have a Suunto Core? Iím interested but hear they have terrible QC these days and Customer Service sucks
    I have a Suunto Core and I love it. No issues at all after more than a year of it being my daily wear, so I canít comment to their customer service. My only issue with it, I suppose, is itís a $300 watch and isnít really any better than my Timex Expedition Shock XL that cost $50 (other than being an ABC watch, but I seldom use those features).
    matthew03 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I sport a Wally-World $9.98 special.... I'm VERY tough on timepieces and refuse to invest in a 'nicer' watches that I'll, given my history, destroy within two years.

I purchased a new G-Shock prior to every deployment and felt lucky if it made it to my next deployment.

I've worn any number of diving watches over the years, when I was diving. But diving watches pretty much became superfluous with the development of the dive computer. I even had a Rolex Submariner when I was a commercial diver, which sat in a drawer for years until I sold it. Now I wear a Casio model that has an altimeter, barometer, and compass. They're only roughly accurate. I've flirted with the idea of getting a Suunto GPS model, but the price is pretty steep and most of the places I hunt and hike are not that remote, so I don't feel compelled to have a back-up GPS.
    matthew03 and msgt/ret like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

PJH
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I've worn any number of diving watches over the years, when I was diving. But diving watches pretty much became superfluous with the development of the dive computer.
    Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I still wear a watch when diving, and even set the bezel to track my bottom time.
    Now, whether I could remember how to use the dive tables to figure out what to do with that information is another question.

I'm wearing the same "James Bond" style Omega Seamaster Professional that I've worn almost every day for 10+ years, although it has started losing time at an unacceptable rate and really needs to be sent in for service.

I rotate between 3-4 Invictas, a couple of Tag Heuers, and 2 Phillip Stein watches. Have a dress and sport Movado too.

Quote Originally Posted by PJH View Post
    Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I still wear a watch when diving, and even set the bezel to track my bottom time.
    Now, whether I could remember how to use the dive tables to figure out what to do with that information is another question.
    Nothing wrong with being cautious. But you can't really use dive tables very effectively as a back-up to a dive computer. 99% of my diving was with my wife and we were diving at the same depths using the same model of dive computer. If we were diving deeper or on a multi-day trip, I would wear a second dive computer as a back-up. Diving in California with a dry suit, which was most of our diving, wearing a dive watch is not very practical.
    Pete63 and msgt/ret like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    I haven't worn a watch since they invented cell phones with a clock on them.
    I inevitably have an exchange like this a few times a year:

Other person: What time is it?
    Me: 10:35. Why don't you wear a watch?
    Other person: Oh I don't need one, I have my cell phone.

I have worn watches most of my life and I feel naked without one. I am really enjoying this discussion with like-minded watch lovers.

I have pretty much settled on a rotation of a few Timex watches - an Easy Reader, two Weekenders, and a few Expeditions. All analog, and all with Indiglo, all under $50 and all easy-to-read in ambient light conditions. I like a no-frills watch that I can read in half a second or less, and a night light is a must-have.

This thread is giving me some nice shopping ideas though. I have thin, bony wrists so large watches don't look good on me. I like shopping on Amazon because they list the diameter of the watch dial for almost every watch.

Here's what I'm currently wearing. My wife bought it for me on one of our trips. Love it! Solar charge, so no battery or winding to worry about. It has a couple of time zones, alarms, timer, altimeter, barometer, and probably some functions I don't even know about!

What Watches are you wearing???-tissot.jpg
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Senior Moderator
    I have thin, bony wrists so large watches don't look good on me.

I don't have thin wrists, yet don't much care for large watches over about 42mm. With wristwatches, one can have too much of a good thing in my view. After a point they begin to look and wear much like one of these.

Some very manly guys wore either military issue 30mm-32mm watches or else similar private purchase watches in order to fight World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.

The ol' beater watch is 32mm. And if you believe that I shoveled out a heaping long-wide-bed pickup load of mulch with a grain scoop in 45 minutes then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Last edited by bmcgilvray; December 28th, 2019 at 01:51 PM.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Gave up on watches when I got a cell phone back in '05.
    USAF, Retired
    ✟✟✟ Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 ✟✟✟
    Life Member: VFW, VVA, DAV, VSPA, NRA

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I had an issue Marathon that was far too big for me. I much prefer something around 42mm but there is NOTHING wrong with smaller. Larger watches on many people simply aren't functional as they get in the way of themselves.
    bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

I am currently using an Apple Watch 2. I picked it up as soon as the Apple Watch 3 dropped because it was cheaper. I enjoy it because I sit in on a lot of meetings at work and if something important comes up, I can take a glance at my watch and make note of it. The fitness aspect of it is a huge thing for me as well. I don't send texts with it that often unless it is a short response. I haven't shot with it much aside from a couple of times at the range. I typically don't even notice its there. On occasion, I will wear a MVMT watch (chrono series). Great quality watches for right around 100 bucks. I bought mine from Nordstrom but they're also available online at mvmtwatches.com

Best of luck ZT!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links