What Watches are you wearing??? - Page 5

What Watches are you wearing???

This is a discussion on What Watches are you wearing??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of these depending on my activity:...

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree749Likes

Thread: What Watches are you wearing???

VIP Member
    One of these depending on my activity:
    What Watches are you wearing???-44b953b8-fd17-44c0-ad67-3dab5c0da5c8.jpgWhat Watches are you wearing???-6124f669-4d1a-48f5-8a78-b9e07803f7ba.jpgWhat Watches are you wearing???-2a7f7c8e-fd2f-4de5-92c7-b0cda1063af5.jpg
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Seiko self-wind Diver, circa 1979. Been back once to Seiko for cleaning, regasket & pressure certification. Almost 40 years of continuous, flawless service. Never replaced a battery. Now THAT'S a watch!
    bmcgilvray, msgt/ret, PEF and 3 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Worn this one every day for about 20 years. It's a piece of mechanical art I can wear... And it is within seconds a month accurate.
    Great watch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Here is one I wore back in my flying days, the Glycine Airman. It has a 24-hour face and a rotating bezel; I kept GMT on the hands and rotated the bezel to local time where we were at. I still have it but it does need repair.

What Watches are you wearing???-glycine.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Senior Moderator
    I've wanted a Glycine Airman for years!

I'm so envious. You have a way of doing that to me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Casio Men's Atomic-Solar G-Shock Watch, Stainless-Steel Bracelet bought at Wal-Mart.
    That's the one I'm wearing. I've had it for about the last 12 years, worn nearly every day of that. It's starting to look a bit worn so I'm due to replace it. It's the best value in a watch I've ever purchased, keeps perfect time and haven't even had to replace a battery.

This G-Shock replaced an earlier G-Shock, a plastic one without solar or atomic time. It was a champ too, survived many a day dirtbiking in the desert and on the moto-X track.

I have two watch boxes full (from high-end to cheap-but-sentimental), but about a year-and-a-half ago, I passed one of these and commented to my daughter that I really wanted one as a pre-teenager but never managed to get one.
    She bought one for me for Christmas a year ago and I've worn it almost every day since:

This year, my wife wanted to buy a watch for me for Christmas. The budget doesn't allow for something high-end, so she got me something unique (and I think very cool). It'll get sized and go on my wrist soon:

Senior Moderator
    This is a really enjoyable thread! Gets my history juices flowing.

I got my first watch when I was in 4th grade and it was a Hopalong Cassidy model with a luminescent dial that was almost distractingly bright when I turned the light out to sleep. That was 1959 and I've been wearing a wristwatch ever since, so I feel positively naked without one almost 6 decades later.

Until I hit about 40 I never had more than one watch, but at that point I think my ex got me a nice Seiko which deserved better treatment than being exposed to the elements while bird hunting or getting slimed with grease while wrenching the cars. So that's when I got the el cheapo Timexes that would, per John Cameron Swayze, "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'." That's been my minimalist approach just until this past year when the new kid (the Wenger) arrived, and now seeing all these magnificent timepieces has me interested in expanding the collection.

Rambling on... when I was a kid, my dad's watch was the same Bulova one he wore as an aviator in WWII. I think that old boy with the goldish dial and yellowed crystal must have developed problems in the 50s, as I recall my mom saving up to get dad a Longines-Wittnauer for Christmas one year. He was never one to show emotion but he got pretty quiet when he opened that box. Around 1965, dad hit the 25-year mark with Bendix and back then they really did give you a gold watch! His was a Bulova Accutron "Spaceview" model with the innards exposed, so you could see the tuning fork which was the soul of the new, highly accurate timepiece. That was his daily-wear watch for close to 20 years.

About 5 years ago I took care of my convalescing father-in-law for a week or so in SD in the middle of winter. We had plenty of time together and he produced his collection of several dozen railroad watches. He had bought these as investments on advice of a friend, so I started researching and cataloguing them in order to price them for sale. Well, this was in the midst of the recession so my efforts were for naught, but I learned a lot about the history of watches, what distinguishes a "railroad watch" from a regular pocket watch, and how the "modern" warfare of WWI and social trends drove the shift from pocket watches to wrist watches. I also became tuned into the names like Elgin, Gorrie, Gruen, Hamilton, Howard, South Bend, and Waltham, American Waltham, and Waltham Premier. Few of those old-line names survived the move to wristwatches, but the history was fascinating all by itself for this history buff.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    A fun post Gary. That's the kind of posts I like best, whether it be guns, watches, coins or ...

Still have the watches from my youth.

First watch. Remember watching the second hand go around in about 3rd grade when I was bored with the class lesson. Also used it to time how long I could hold my breath. Was pleased when I finally made an entire minute. A seven jewel Caravelle by Bulova, this one doesn't run.

From high school into early banking career watch, this Helbros automatic with date feature just exudes early 70s "charm." This one still runs though the date feature is dodgy.

Great Grandfather's early 1930s Elgin. Gold fill is a bit worn. Has a quite decent 17-jewel American made movement. I intend to get this one running when I get "a round tuit."

Another watch from the 1920s which belonged to him, the Gothic Jar-Proof. This one has a 15-jewel movement and is supposed to be shock protected. Supposedly a Gothic Jar-Proof was tossed out the window of the top floor of an 11-story hotel in Waco, Texas and survived the impact, continuing to run. Or, so some advertising claimed. My watch maker said it wasn't worth fixing.

You mentioned Gruen, Gary. Here's a '50s vintage Gruen. I remember a watch like this one in my dad's dresser drawer. I don't know that his ever ran when I was a kid and don't know what happened to it. This one's a nice running watch.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Bryan, my first "adult" watch was a Bulova Caravelle!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member

Sinn 757UTC Chronograph is my favorite. I own many watches, most are automatics, some hand wind, and 3-4 quartz watches.

bmcgilvray likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Here is my favorite, a Citizen "Blue Angels". It is solar powered and sets it's time from the US atomic clock (including auto adjusting for daylight savings time).

I bought it off Ebay 2 years ago and once I set it for my timezone I've never done anything with it since.

I switch between 3 different Tissot watches, activity depending, but this is the one that is usually on my wrist.
    What Watches are you wearing???-seastar1.jpg
    Who Must Do The Hard Things? He Who Can.
    Sig P226 Legion 9mm
    Chiappa Rhino 30DS .357
    CZ 97BD .45
    Glock 43
    Walther PPQ M2, PPS M2 LE

Quote Originally Posted by DonPablo_VA View Post
    I rotate between 3-4 Invictas, a couple of Tag Heuers, and 2 Phillip Stein watches. Have a dress and sport Movado too.
    I like Invictas as well. All "dive" watches. I have four or five that I alternate.

Two Submariner look a likes stainless steel and rose gold with black faces (self winding), two Daytona look a likes (battery) stainless steel one with a black face one with white and a Yachtmaster (self winding)look alike also stainless steel.

Relatively inexpensive and accurate watches.

Would love to have some of the Luminox watches, but really don't want to spend that much.

I would rather buy guns, knives and golf stuff.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links