The med kit discussion - Page 2

The med kit discussion

This is a discussion on The med kit discussion within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; @ heymarv , your first criticism is to say using personal protective precautions is a bad idea. Sorry, but I can't help until you have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The med kit discussion

@heymarv , your first criticism is to say using personal protective precautions is a bad idea.

Sorry, but I can't help until you have the basic steps of 1st aid. Survey the scene. Protect yourself from harm.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    @heymarv , your first criticism is to say using personal protective precautions is a bad idea.

Sorry, but I can't help until you have the basic steps of 1st aid. Survey the scene. Protect yourself from harm.
    I 100% agree with your first statement, my apologies if that wasn't clear in my response. To go even further, I'd say that scene safety and utilizing PPE (gloves, face shields, etc.) should be priority #1 when intervening on behalf of strangers or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier
    The most likely thing you will need is a pair of gloves and a barrier mask for rescue breathing.
    Quote Originally Posted by heymarv
    Definitely not a bad start. If everyone was CPR trained we'd be doing pretty well as a country.

Very important, take quality training!!!! The education will stay with you and assist no matter what material is available. With that said, a small quality IFAK, is all that one needs, if you break it really down, you just need a quality CAT-T or SWAT-T wide, for almost any firearm shot.
    Im going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years. - Gen Mad Dog Mattis

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    It's more likely you'll have opportunity to use it at a car wreck than a shooting.

I don't keep any full kit around, but have an Israeli bandage in the glove box.

In Germany, it's required to have an approved first aid kit in every car. (Mostly has stuff for booboos, not big trauma.)
    I still have the ones I bought in 1987. Probably not too useful any more.
    Seriously, talk about big brother watching.
    GRCarry likes this.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    Most people wouldn't know how to use a kit for a real trauma. And honestly I find much of the common and popular training to be both too superficial AND way too aggressive. Trust me, there is a LOT of training that needs to occur between knowing how to apply pressure to an artery to doing a needle decompression. Anyone who thinks they're qualified to do the latter after a day long course can easily kill someone.
    Absolutely. Plus, a needle thoracostamy absolutely falls under the category of practicing medicine. Falls way, way beyond the scope of Good Samaritan laws.....
    GRCarry likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Learning to shoot again : Starting Over

Quote Originally Posted by todd1911 View Post
    Very important, take quality training!!!! The education will stay with you and assist no matter what material is available. With that said, a small quality IFAK, is all that one needs, if you break it really down, you just need a quality CAT-T or SWAT-T wide, for almost any firearm shot.
    I'll try to dig up the paper, but the distribution of gunshot wounds is drastically different between battlefield and crime. There are far fewer limb shots, and far more torso and head shots.
    CAT-T is the best on adults, but doesn't work on young children due to a minimum limb size
    The available medical training generally produces woefully overconfident trainees.

If you carry combat gauze, gloves, a CPR mask, and a phone, as well as an actual desire to help, you're already in the top 1% of non-professional first responders.

Please guys, put away the nasotracheal airway, the chest seal and the decompression needle. Call 911, lay the patient down and elevate the legs 10-15 degrees, apply firm and direct pressure to bleeding. Perform CPR in case of arrest.
    That's the kind of training people need.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Absolutely. Plus, a needle thoracostamy absolutely falls under the category of practicing medicine. Falls way, way beyond the scope of Good Samaritan laws.....
    Thank you.

Just remember - you don't know the extent of the injury. It's possible that the tension pneumothorax is in the OTHER side of the chest from the entry wound. You put a needle into the wrong side, and you just put down the one remaining lung.
    sdprof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    But, But, But I saw it done by people who didn't know what they were doing in several movies and TV shows. It ALWAYS worked. You're telling me that that wasn't real? Next you'll tell me that the Easter Bunny isn't real.
    TAANSTAAFL - Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

Whether you are trained or not, it's a good idea to have a trauma kit available. Even if you lack the training, their may be someone with enough training to help who lacks the equipment.
    airslot likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links