Fiber/tritium vs reflex red dot for CC

This is a discussion on Fiber/tritium vs reflex red dot for CC within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’ve been using my Glocks for some time, but have never considered changing sights. Been reading about “fiber optic/tritium sights” and reflex red dot sights, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By jejb

Thread: Fiber/tritium vs reflex red dot for CC

I’ve been using my Glocks for some time, but have never considered changing sights. Been reading about “fiber optic/tritium sights” and reflex red dot sights, and haven’t decided for sure which I want to try first. My thinking is go with the fiber/tritium sights first, probably the Trijicon HD XR. Also looked at the reflex red dots and several groups recommended the Vortex Venom over some of the pricier ones. Opinions please?

Welcome from the Texas Gulf Coast.

I have Tru-Glo tritium/fiber optics on my around the house carry Glock 21, but my outside the house Glock 30S has an XS Big Dot. Either one works well. I use red dots on rifles, not pistols.

Welcome from Utah. I have Glocks with HD Trijicons and have a Trijicon RMR on a Glock 19 with back up Trijicon suppressor sights. It really depends on what you prefer. Neither is bad.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, think I’m trying the tritium sights first. Friend has a reflex sight on one of his G’s, have a Range day coming up late May and want to shoot that to see how quickly can acquire target.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin! I painted the sights of my M&P40C with Glow-On. A lot cheaper. I had a Glock with Trijicons & they seemed to be just fine.
    MSG Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Retired PI/Armed Security
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Moderator
    My Trijicons work just fine for me in daylight or low light conditions.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I used to think the red dot on a handgun was for the games, but boy have they evolved over the last few years..... I used to use a C-More on my race gun in another galaxy far, far away but they are so much smaller now and the mountings have never been better I probably would if my eyesight got bad enough. Still, I have nightmares of the battery crapping out at the wrong time.

As for tritium night sights or combo fibers/tritiums, I do love the fibers. The tritiums, are alright and fine if you know everyone in front of you is not a friendly, but someone I know in law enforcement had tritium sights on his service weapon and ended up severely wounding one of his family members when he woke up to a bump in the night. Turned out that his son got up to use the restroom and almost died for it.

Thats why I use a light, no exceptions. I have a house full of kids and would rather know who I'm shooting at........ Besides, the lights they have now are awesome and absolutely will blind any attacker.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I have a Tru-Glo tritium/fiber optic front sight on my Sig and it is great. It is very easy to see in any lighting conditions, which I think is the whole point of a good sight.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Welcome from Wisconsin! I paintedg the sights of my M&P40C with Glow-On. A lot cheaper. I had a Glock with Trijicons & they seemed to be just fine.
    Same here, the paint works fine. I'm going to remove it from my rear sight, its just a distraction. I wont be using my sights at night more than likely, I just need to know where my muzzle is.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrambler View Post
    Same here, the paint works fine. I'm going to remove it from my rear sight, its just a distraction. I wont be using my sights at night more than likely, I just need to know where my muzzle is.
    This is the importance of a Trij, especially on the front site. I even have a Trij as a front site on my SP101 for things that go 'bump' in the night.
    Dannyi likes this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

My son really likes the red fiber front sight on his Glock 19. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, so I have to take his word on it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have gone to Trijicon HD's on all of my carry guns, except one, it has a similar set up from another vendor; I prefer the XD's.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Well I decided to try the Tru Glo TFX Pro sight, local shop had for $141 installed. Really like them, bright during day & just enough glow at night to not inhibit seeing objects.

Good choice. I put those on one of my guns, and really like them. All the bases are covered with those sights.
    Dannyi likes this.

Sponsored Links