Sapphire Body Armor

Sapphire Body Armor

This is a discussion on Sapphire Body Armor within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A company is developing military body armor made from sheets of synthetic sapphire crystals. It is half the weight and half the thickness of comparable ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By BlackJack

Thread: Sapphire Body Armor

Sapphire Body Armor

A company is developing military body armor made from sheets of synthetic sapphire crystals. It is half the weight and half the thickness of comparable current body armor and rather than trap the bullet, it actually causes the bullet to shatter. It's effective against 5.56 and 7.62 and it even offers some protection against .50. Pretty cool if it's true.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/sapphir...s-from-snipers
    flh and lionround like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I saw this article last night. Very interesting stuff. They are also putting it into "bulletproof" glass. So, instead of spider webbing when hit with a round, the glass shatters the round and merely leaves a little dent.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

@lionround : Your signature line is questionable. Most of the lists of crime ridden cities I see have my hometown, St. Louis, ahead of Memphis every time. If you split out East St. Louis, IL, St. Louis, MO is still ahead of Memphis, but East St. Louis is ahead of St. Louis. Not that I'm being competitive, you understand! We used to be ahead of Detroit, but now they're tough to beat.
    lionround likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Too bad the sapphire sheets are not big enough to replace the glass panes in household windows and doors. This would be awesome for places that deal with hurricane strength winds.

Looks like they are only available in up to 9x26" or 12x20" sizes.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Too bad the sapphire sheets are not big enough to replace the glass panes in household windows and doors. This would be awesome for places that deal with hurricane strength winds.

Looks like they are only available in up to 9x26" or 12x20" sizes.
    For enough dinero, I'm sure they'll oblige you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For enough dinero, I'm sure they'll oblige you.
    That's possible. Don't know if the limitation is just what they make by default or a matter of manufacturing technology. Didn't see anything on the manufacturers web site about custom sizes, of course, i didn't really spend that much time looking either. Mainly looked out of curiosity, not intent.

Sponsored Links