Emergency med kits - Page 2

Emergency med kits

This is a discussion on Emergency med kits within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Nifty We are organizing a stop the bleed workshop for next month. Where?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Emergency med kits

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    We are organizing a stop the bleed workshop for next month.
    Where?
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Where?
    Florida panhandle area. They are all over the place, just nothing offered here in the near future.

MJK
    I also carry chest seals to treat open pneumothorax.
    heymarv and airslot like this.
    ďI come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, Iíll kill you all."
    ó James ďMad DogĒ Mattis

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    Anyone know of any training courses around the Chicago area?
    --Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If youíre carrying a gun for self-defense, donít practice like a target shooter. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Anyone know of any training courses around the Chicago area?
    I searched on the Stop the bleed website. There was a search page somewhere.

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    Thanks. I found a stop the bleed class in the area and signed up for it.
    heymarv likes this.
    --Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If youíre carrying a gun for self-defense, donít practice like a target shooter. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

@Gaius let us know how it goes. I've taken a few formal classes from various instructors, but liked the idea of dropping into a Stop the Bleed class just as a refresher as they tend to be cheap and/or free.

Training is good and I am all for training but lets remain intellectually honest.

They don't put pictures and written instructions on gear because they expect every person who has the occasion to use it- to be a spec op medical commando. They don't put pictures and written instruction in numerous languages on/with gear because its considered "useless" without prerequisite training. I agree wholeheartedly in training and have always been a proponent of people receiving as much training as possible but the ongoing trend of quasi-elitism which seems to suggest that without training you may as well give into despair or inaction- is simply unproductive. Certainly there are emergency medical techniques which require training and certainly there are circumstances where a person can do more harm than good if they don't know what they are doing but generally speaking, the overwhelming majority of med-kits are not constructed with the idea or for the purpose of complex procedures.

If the OP has decided to carry a med-kit, I tip my hat to him. Although I don't think its all that hard to figure out how to use a pressure bandage or a tourniquet, I still think a person should familiarize themselves with the items they intend to carry and have a basic plan on how to use it. Maybe you buy some extra stuff and take it out of the package for familiarization since the first time you ever consider how to use it should probably not be in the critical moments that its needed.

Again, training is a very good idea but lets not pretend that the untrained person cannot save a life. They do it all the time.

Is training better than no training.. of course.

I buy stuff from:

darkangel medical
    adventure medical
    its tactical
    amazon
    na rescure
    walgreens
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

VIP Member
    Trained or not, it is a good idea to have medical tools and supplies available - someone else on scene may be trained.
    Fizban and AzQkr like this.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

I have recently completed my EMT course (passed first test, last NREMT test this Friday). The primary reason for me taking the course was so that I could volunteer for the local, all volunteer, EMS provider. The department is staffed by upwards of 30 residents who all vary from EMT-B, EMT-A, and paramedics. I did have other motives at the same time. I like the idea of being better prepared for emergencies that may arise while outdoors or at work. While injuries at work are not common due to the amount of safety precautions in place, we have had a number of significant injuries including deaths. I think the skills learned could have major benefits in the event something were to arise. I also love being prepared to assist my family if needed.
    AzQkr and Fizban like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    I hate to admit this but I never had a decent med kit. I was looking around online and like most everything they're a lot of options. I talked to an former Army corpsman who works at the range. A few things I learned. Across Amazon, there are cheaper but questionable tourniquets. Maybe even knock-offs. There is a difference.

He suggested this site.

https://www.narescue.com/

I skipped the kit bags and just picked items a la carte. I hope I never have to use any of this stuff. For less than $100 I ended up with an adequate set of supplies and even got a hook attachment for my existing bag.
    North American reacue makes good stuff

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    ĒGod grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.Ē
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links