Emergency med kits

Emergency med kits

This is a discussion on Emergency med kits within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate to admit this but I never had a decent med kit. I was looking around online and like most everything they're a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Emergency med kits

Emergency med kits

I hate to admit this but I never had a decent med kit. I was looking around online and like most everything they're a lot of options. I talked to an former Army corpsman who works at the range. A few things I learned. Across Amazon, there are cheaper but questionable tourniquets. Maybe even knock-offs. There is a difference.

He suggested this site.

https://www.narescue.com/

I skipped the kit bags and just picked items a la carte. I hope I never have to use any of this stuff. For less than $100 I ended up with an adequate set of supplies and even got a hook attachment for my existing bag.
    msgt/ret, matthew03, CG11 and 1 others like this.

I've never had to use a tourniquet, although I have trained in their use. I put more confidence in the Softt-W Tourniquet. I think the construction is much better, with an aluminum windlass rather than a wooden one.
    OldChap, heymarv and Bad Bob like this.
    ďKeep a government poor and weak and itís your servant; let it get rich and powerful and itís your master.Ē

"Get comfortable being uncomfortable."

I have always carried a first aid kit in my truck. I am not trained for tourniquet. That's something I'm looking at now that I'm retired to get some specialty training. We got a quick bit of training in the Marines.
    Havok and Old Man like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My two suggestions. First for anyone who is NOT a licensed EMT or Paramedic:

https://www.doomandbloom.net/

For someone who has had the training, or is licensed, there are several reputable places that will provide a kit with the professional version of everything you already know how to use. I won't list the sites because if you are in this class, you probably already know about them.
    Tstone and Bad Bob like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I am certified in Tac-Med through FLETC, I carry a CAT tq (narescue) on my vest, I also have 3 other tourniquets in my squad, a SOF-T in my IFAK and a CAT and SOF-T in my bail out bag. Both have their pros and cons depending on which limb you are applying them to. My IFAK contains 2 Hyfin chest seals, Israeli bandage, Celox Rapid Z-fold, NPA, Shears, small roll of duct tape, triangle bandage, (can be used as improvised TQ), compressed gauze, 2 pair of gloves, Sharpie and the above mentioned SOF-T, it all fits in a bag 7"x 4.5" x 4.5"
    The training was pretty intense, they do a pretty good job of trying to get you into a stressful situation and make you work through it.
    One scenario you have your left hand taped up with only your index and pinky fingers sticking out and your right hand taped up with only your index finger sticking out and you are seated on the ground at the sound of gunfire and sirens and 4 ex-marines yelling at you, you have to draw your weapon, unloaded sim gun, fire at the moving drill instructors till they say your out of ammo, do a reload return fire again, then when threat is down, remove TQ of your choice and apply said TQ to which ever limb they yell out has been hit. Great Fun.
    In another you sit back to back with a partner, remove TQ and tie it into knots, each person puts a blind fold on and when instructed hands the blind fold back to the other person, again with the simulated gun fire, sirens and DI screaming at you draw gun return fire at the sound of his voice as he moves around the room, when instructed grab the TQ that (you hope is still next to you) your partner knotted up, unknot it and apply to limb of their choice, again blindfolded the entire time.
    That's just a couple of them, it was pretty good training.
    Havok, Tstone, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    We had a pretty in-depth thread on this a couple months ago.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

My first suggestion is get training. You will then know what you need and what you don't.
    AzQkr, Mike1956, OD* and 4 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    My first suggestion is get training. You will then know what you need and what you don't.
    Yup, all the kit in the world won't do someone any good unless they have the training to apply what's in the kit. With knowledge, one can find field expedients that suffice and have more benefit to the vic than another who has all the latest and greatest and doesn't have the training to use it.
    matthew03, Bad Bob and airslot like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    That's true...accomplish the mission is the goal...what tools you do it with is secondary.
    AzQkr and airslot like this.

VIP Member
    I carry a tourniquet, Quickclot gauze and a pressure dressing at all times. That should cover just about anything I might need to take care of in the next minute or two. A kit in the car is like a rifle in the car, great if you have time to get to it.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    I just rub a little dirt on it.

Good on you for getting the ball rolling on the medical side of the house. Buying from North American Rescue, or any reputable manufacturer is a great start. This stuff needs to be able to be relied on when and if you ever have to use it - makes no sense to put saving money (and gambling on unproven medical devices) above having tried and tested gear when you or someone you love's life is on the line.

I'd only suggest getting some training if you can find it. Check out these sites and see if there's something happening near you:

Stop the Bleed training: https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Clas...w-F7PzXird0JP4
    Dark Angel Medical: Direct Action Response Training | Emergency Trauma and First Aid Training
    Lone Star Medics: Lone Star Medics - Lone Star Medics Schedule

Administrator
    I know a bit more than basic First Aid - more than Jethro Bodine & his Doctorin'.

But, more advanced training sure couldn't hurt.

These days though...I can't even make the time. It's unfortunate.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    Good on you for getting the ball rolling on the medical side of the house. Buying from North American Rescue, or any reputable manufacturer is a great start. This stuff needs to be able to be relied on when and if you ever have to use it - makes no sense to put saving money (and gambling on unproven medical devices) above having tried and tested gear when you or someone you love's life is on the line.

I'd only suggest getting some training if you can find it. Check out these sites and see if there's something happening near you:

Stop the Bleed training: https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Clas...w-F7PzXird0JP4
    Dark Angel Medical: Direct Action Response Training | Emergency Trauma and First Aid Training
    Lone Star Medics: Lone Star Medics - Lone Star Medics Schedule
    We are organizing a stop the bleed workshop for next month.
    Bad Bob, airslot, heymarv and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Yup, if there is anything in a particular kit that the user is unfamiliar with, that item is a useless waste.
    Bad Bob and AzQkr like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links