If I were interested in mounting a Red-Dot sight

This is a discussion on If I were interested in mounting a Red-Dot sight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I were interested in mounting a Red-Dot sight and using the S&W MP9 series as an example the Trijicon new SRO would seem to ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By OneGunTX
  • 1 Post By Pete63
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By TSKnight

Thread: If I were interested in mounting a Red-Dot sight

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar

If I were interested in mounting a Red-Dot sight and using the S&W MP9 series as an example the Trijicon new SRO would seem to be the way to go even thou it is $$$$. Examining Midways online catalog 11 pages with 249 different products of Red-Dot sight options was interesting.

I am not clear if you are asking a question or expressing an opinion.

Nonetheless, I am in the market for a rds on a carry pistol. There are few guns that are optic ready. The optic ready guns are the Springfield armory XDM OSP. You can also buy the gun with a vortex venom. Next is the Glock MOS. It had a plate that you can use to mount an optic. Sig Sauer has a line of pistols that come with the Romeo 1 sight. Or you can buy an X series that has a plate, but the guns are milled for Romeo 1 or Delta Point Pro only. Smith and Wesson used to have an optic ready line, CORE, but discontinued when the M2.0 came out. @hrfunk mounted a Delta Point pro on a CORE and has a thread about his experience.

Other than an optic ready guns, your choice is to buy the gun, buy the optic, send both off to a machine shop to be milled. You also have to consider whether you want to co-witness sights milled as well. You also have consider the finish on your slide. All in, you will spend more than a grand.

Last Saturday, I went to the LGS to purchase a P320 RX compact with the Romeo 1 sight. I was ready to buy, but ended up walking out. First, the salesman offered to let me to shoot one of their range guns with a RDS. I did and the sight was off-zero by a lot. I did not learn anything. Second, the salesman did not like the Romeo 1 sight. Did I mention that all salespeople were wearing Glock shirts? They were convinced I should get the Glock MOS and a Trijicon sight for an extra $500 above the Sig price. I walked out because I did not have an extra $500 in cash. Oh well.

Now, my carry gun is a M&P M2.0 compact. I shoot it well. I will likely buy another one, buy an optic, and send them to a machine shop.

Good luck with your SRO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    dennis40x and Pete63 like this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    I am not clear if you are asking a question or expressing an opinion.
    A little of both, I'm contemplating to proceed or not to proceed in regards to a Red Dot sight and thank you for your reply.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Thread jack! Have you guy's looked at the FN 509 Tactical. I know it's a chunk of change, BUT it's "supposed to have a superior mount system", AND already comes with co-witness/suppressor height sights. Although I've sworn off 9mm , it sure has peaked my interest. Plus, with 24 round mag's, it seems like a viable BUG for me.
    dennis40x likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    I prefer my DeltaPoint over my Trijicon. I haven't had the opportunity to set my red-dot ready M&P Shield up yet to see how I like it.
    Pete63 and dennis40x like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    This is what I have been working with for about 3-4 weeks now. G17-3 with a Holosun 507c. Suarez did the machining and mounted the sight. I left the factory suppressor sights on for now, but plan to install night sights when finances allow.
    Over all I am quite pleased with the results and without breaking the bank. Not counting the pistol, I have less than $500 invested. Where this package really shines is with the brace attached. Fast and easy to handle and accurate out to 100 yards. What more could one ask for from a dedicated PDW.
    Last edited by TSKnight; May 21st, 2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Deleted picture serial number readable
    dennis40x and Pete63 like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Sponsored Links