Active earmuffs nrr rating - Page 2

Active earmuffs nrr rating

This is a discussion on Active earmuffs nrr rating within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PPS1980 Deaf and Gunnery Sgt. were synonyms in the Corps 'back in the day'. Layered protection and as high a db rating ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Active earmuffs nrr rating

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Deaf and Gunnery Sgt. were synonyms in the Corps 'back in the day'. Layered protection and as high a db rating as is possible is the only way to go IMHO. Throw them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    What did you say? ........... Semper Fi from a partially deaf staff sergeant.
    Which explains why Marines are always yelling at everyone.

I always use foam plugs when shooting. Not all foam ear plugs are created equal. CDNN once sent me a pack of ear plugs as a freebie with an order. I figured as a freebie they would not be very good. Turns out they are the best at blocking sound. I need to get the brand name and order more!

I have a set of $15 Harbor Freight electronic muffs that works really well (surprisingly), but the battery seems to be always dead. I have used them alone without complain of any excessive noise, but in an indoors environment, I always double up with plugs. The primary issue I have with muffs is they all seem to interfere when shooting rifles, even the slim models. The muffs are fine when shooting handguns and get a lot of use then.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Which explains why Marines are always yelling at everyone.
    @OldVet , I think you might have something there. Now that I think about it I cannot remember days in boot camp when a DI was not screaming at us. And worse yet they often scream in your ear. We never had any kind of ear protection in training or combat. Today the troops get ear protection, safety glasses, and knee guards. The Corps has started a program to equip M27s used by the infantry with silencers. They want to do that so commands on the battlefield will be heard more readily. Heck, if they keep up such things the Corps might become a quieter service. That would really be out of character in recruit training. A quieter Marine Corps is an oxymoron.
    OldVet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gofofx View Post
    I just bought Petor Protac iii slim active earmuffs with nrr rating 21db, without doing any research and I came to realize that the minimum recommended nrr rating for shooting is at least 27db. I intend to use them mostly indoors, and Iím just wondering if anyone has the same nrr rating ones, should I get new ones? I donít want to damage my hearing.
    For indoor shooting I always double up... foam ear plugs plus active muffs over the top.

For foamies I recommend something like these: https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/s...=6&webCatKey=0

Those are $24 for a box of 200 pairs of Howard Leight MAX plugs with a 33 db NRR. Your local hardware store probably has them on the shelf, or something similar, in the construction crew safety gear area. At $1.20 per pair that's cheap hearing insurance.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    [QUOTE=1942bull;I think you might have something there. Now that I think about it I cannot remember days in boot camp when a DI was not screaming at us. And worse yet they often scream in your ear.[/QUOTE]

This is off topic/subject, DI screaming acceptable but DI brutality unacceptable. In my training series the Drill Instructors for one platoon were relieved for brutality and subsequent disciplinary action. The Drill Instructors for my platoon called that platoon "Rat Platoon". With new Drill Instructors that platoon became the "Honor Platoon" for our training series. One of our Drill Instructors was a brutal SOB, later on he was pictured in Life magazine as a Staff NCO at Parris Island. I didn't think much of him as an individual, as a recruit of that time period was to certain was basically defenseless thus forced to suck it up and go! When I became an NCO, I did not replicate that SOB from Parris Island! End of off topic!

I didn't mind the TI yelling in my face so much, but that spitting and slobbering was totally uncalled for.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I always double up foam plugs and Electronic Muffs.

https://www.espamerica.com/what-is-a...on-rating-nrr/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I didn't mind the TI yelling in my face so much, but that spitting and slobbering was totally uncalled for.
    That is what happens when an Airman tries to act like a Marine.
    graydude likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    That is what happens when an Airman tries to act like a Marine.
    We referred to that TI as Mad Dog, but only behind his back.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    @OldVet , I think you might have something there. Now that I think about it I cannot remember days in boot camp when a DI was not screaming at us. And worse yet they often scream in your ear. We never had any kind of ear protection in training or combat. Today the troops get ear protection, safety glasses, and knee guards. The Corps has started a program to equip M27s used by the infantry with silencers. They want to do that so commands on the battlefield will be heard more readily. Heck, if they keep up such things the Corps might become a quieter service. That would really be out of character in recruit training. A quieter Marine Corps is an oxymoron.
    Seriously, why do you think hand commands were standardized? My father once quipped that if Marines had to pass hearing tests periodically there would be no senior NCOs left. Perhaps a bit of hyperbola but there was some truth to it too.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links