Gun safe tutorial

Gun safe tutorial

This is a discussion on Gun safe tutorial within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A well done serious explanation of what to look for and what questions to ask when purchasing a safe. It would seem that you really ...

Like Tree25Likes
  • 11 Post By airslot
  • 2 Post By PPS1980
  • 1 Post By Havok
  • 1 Post By FAS1
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By SatCong
  • 2 Post By spclopr8tr
  • 1 Post By FAS1
  • 2 Post By Gabill

Thread: Gun safe tutorial

Gun safe tutorial

A well done serious explanation of what to look for and what questions to ask when purchasing a safe. It would seem that you really do "get what you pay for" when it comes to safes.

Gun Safes "The Truth"
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Well done video.....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

VIP Member
    Very good stuff Airslot.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    An oldie but a goodie.
    Old Man and spclopr8tr like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I’ve shared and referenced this video several times over the years. Very good video that everyone should see before purchasing a safe.
    Old Man likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Lots of good information in this video, but there are a couple things that I noticed.

Since I am a fan of mechanical locks I always pay attention to what the experts say about the electronic ones. He only says that 90-95% of his customers want the electronic locks on their full size safes, but he says nothing about the failure rate compared to a mechanical dial. Locksmiths make a fortune on residential calls to repair/replace electronic locks on RSC's.

I have a friend that is a safe tech and does a lot commercial work. He keeps doing residential stuff because the pay is good. He likes to say that he has a very nice bay boat in the driveway that he paid cash for by doing repairs on RSC's with electronic locks. He always recommends a mechanical dial.

Also, I know Fort Knox is the brand he promotes more than any other and says they are "the backbone of our business". He also makes a false statement regarding their handgun safes, which are very good quality and use the only lock I like as well on a handgun safe, the Simplex lock. "The only heavy duty box on the market today is by my buds at Fort Knox" is not accurate now or back then 2011 when this video was made.

Fort Knox uses a 10ga body with a 7ga door. The heaviest and it's been around since 2009 is the FAS1 Safe. 7ga on all sides and the door. Again, I notice these things because it's part of what I pay attention to when someone is talking about safes and lock boxes.

On a side note...how bout that Graffunder safe? 1-1/2" solid door and 1" solid body! Nice!
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    On a side note...how bout that Graffunder safe? 1-1/2" solid door and 1" solid body! Nice!
    That moves up a notch from safe to vault.
    airslot, FAS1 and Gabill like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OK, I now understand. If I spend 2 to 6 time more money than I can afford for a safe I will get a better safe.

Who knew?

I know, I know, sarcastic, but seriously I will be buying a safe within a month or two and there is no way I can afford one of the top rated safes recommended.

I plan on getting a medium quality / price safe and bolting it down. That will stop smash and grab thieves.

I just bought a house in Caldwell ID and the crime rate there is pretty low. I believe about 56% of the population own guns. The % that carry is unknown but reasonably high.

A criminal lifestyle is not the best choice in ID.

I think it's a balance between the value of the items in the safe and the risk of burglary.

I do not think my house / neighborhood will attract sophisticated burglars with the tools and knowledge to defeat a safe.

If by chance I am home their odds go way down.

One more place to look.
    Gun Safe Buyers Guide

https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...-buyers-guide/
    Pete63 and airslot like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Yeah, I watched that video before I bought my first safe. It is a good video if maybe as much an advertisement as it is a discussion of what to look for. As others have said, many factors go into a purchasing decision including volume, weight, type of lock, number of locking bars, grade of steel on all sides, planned growth of the collection, cost, fire rating, versatility of reconfiguration, crime risk, location of the safe, depth of other layers of protection, and the company's reputation.

I chose a Sargent and Greenleaf lock. I asked the dealer how many service calls he had had to do on the S&G locks. He said in over 20 years of sales he had to repair two. I asked the same question about the electronic locks. He said repair calls on them were what kept him in business between safe sales. I upgraded from a Liberty Colonial 30 to a Colonial 50 when I retired and moved to TN. I still have a ways to go before it is filled completely.
    airslot and Henry9008 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

The other thing I thought to mention is he points out the importance of thick steel on the door and does not address the importance of good support for the locking bolts. This is a point of failure on many Chinese made and inexpensive models. They will bend allowing the bolts to pivot inward before the door itself bends, still allowing the door to be compromised.
    airslot likes this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

I know I bought a middle of the road safe. I also have other layers of security. Gated community, alarm system, 2 dogs and reinforced doors. I think you need to look at the whole picture.
    airslot and FAS1 like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Sponsored Links